PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Rain gear

sntm
09-07-2013, 01:59 AM
Ds2 is starting parent and child classes at the Waldorf school and they do outdoor time rain or shine (and in Seattle, that means rain). They recommended rain gear, particularly Bogs boots ($ but not horribly) and tuffo rain suits, which look like puffy hazmat suits. Seems like overkill for me, but he is an active toddler and is the type to indulge fully in a mud puddle. Think it is necessary or alternatives? Favorite rain gear? Hats would be good, maybe mittens.

sntm
09-07-2013, 02:10 AM
He's almost 16 mo, btw

sunnyside
09-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Those sound like good options, and it's great that they are getting him outside so much. Bogs were my favorites of mud/rain boots, and when my DD outgrows hers that's what I'll be getting her.

For a 16 month old you're probably better with the tuffo suit than rain pants and rain jacket.

ECMom
09-23-2013, 10:34 AM
I like the LL Bean discovery rainwear. It is waterproof, breathable & has a mesh lining which increases comfort IMO. I'm unfamiliar with the Tuffo suits but I guess it depends if you'd want him to have separates maybe to use elsewhere. My kids wore the LL Bean puddle stomper rain boots & were fine with them. At 16 months, make sure whatever boots you get are somewhat flexible so he doesn't trip when running.

mackmama
09-26-2013, 12:34 AM
We are looking for rainwear for preschool too so am glad to find this thread and the llbean recs. A related question though - not meaning to hijack OP... Should DC wear regular pants under the rain pants? Should I also send regular shoes in addition to rain boots? Our school starts the kids outside so they'll then have 2 hrs inside afterward. Will the teacher take off the wet rain pants, or should I expect that DC will then spend the rest of the morning in wet rain pants and boots? How do you all handle this re toddlers?

123LuckyMom
09-26-2013, 09:12 AM
We are looking for rainwear for preschool too so am glad to find this thread and the llbean recs. A related question though - not meaning to hijack OP... Should DC wear regular pants under the rain pants? Should I also send regular shoes in addition to rain boots? Our school starts the kids outside so they'll then have 2 hrs inside afterward. Will the teacher take off the wet rain pants, or should I expect that DC will then spend the rest of the morning in wet rain pants and boots? How do you all handle this re toddlers?

In our school they take the kids in and out of snow and rain gear. DS keeps a snow suit and snow boots and rain gear at school but arrives in regular clothes. You should ask your school, though. They may want him to arrive suited up and for you to bring his regular shoes. Our gear is designed to go over regular clothes (except for shoes).

sntm
09-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Our school, the parents are still there and remove the rain pants. I ended up with a lined raincoat and boots from Hatley with rain pants. They were cuter :shrug