PDA

View Full Version : MacBook help- pro or air, now or wait?

acmom
09-07-2013, 10:04 AM
We are looking at getting a new MacBook in the near future. Anyone have any insight about the MacBook pro vs MacBook air? And it seems like from what I am reading that the current version of the Air was just released anytime now? Anyone know what the new version will include and whether it would be worth waiting for?

Thanks!

larig
09-07-2013, 12:12 PM
So, the new airs are new as of early summer, I think. They have a new processor in them which has been a boon to battery life of portable computers. They can literally manage a full day with no plugging-in. With Mavericks in October (the new OSX) the battery life will be even better. Consequently the Air would be fantastic for someone that was using it on-the-go. You could buy now, if you decide an Air is the right computer. It does not have a built in optical drive, and does not have a retina display.

The MBP (both retina and non--interested to see if they continue to make non retina) will likely get a refresh this fall with the new chip that improves battery life. This chip is a BIG deal. I would definitely wait to buy ANY kind of laptop until I could buy the model I wanted with THIS chip in it. It's called "Haswell."

acmom
09-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Thank you! That helps a lot to know the MBP update will be a big deal. As far as pro vs air, what are the pros of each? We use it some at home, some away from home (on trips, at the Y waiting for kids classes, etc.). We have large numbers of photos to store as well as lots of teacher files, videos and professional presentations. It would be used for word processing, creating presentations/handouts, managing photos/videos and creating photobooks/other photo products.

larig
09-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Thank you! That helps a lot to know the MBP update will be a big deal. As far as pro vs air, what are the pros of each? We use it some at home, some away from home (on trips, at the Y waiting for kids classes, etc.). We have large numbers of photos to store as well as lots of teacher files, videos and professional presentations. It would be used for word processing, creating presentations/handouts, managing photos/videos and creating photobooks/other photo products.

Air has a faster, but smaller flash drive than the MBP. -- because of your large photo library, perhaps you'd be better off with a MBP (either retina or non) because they can have large drives.
Air is very light, because it uses the flash drive and has no dvd drive.
The retina MBP has a lovely screen, but it is a more intense user of battery.
ETA:the other things you mention do not suggest one over the other.

there is debate whether or not the MBP without retina will still be around after the next refresh.