PDA

View Full Version : s/o - pedicures for kids?

abh5e8
09-07-2013, 11:53 AM
so the thread about family rules (at what age to get a pedicure) has me thinking...would/do you let your dd get a pedicure? if not, why not? is it the money, or something else?

dh and i are pretty conservative on pretty much everything. he says absolutely no way no how is our 6 y/o dd getting a pedicure. but i'm not so sure. i think its a nice way to take good care of your feet, with the soak and scrubs and nail clipping. i would certainly limit to a very pale color of polish, but i think its really a fun experience.

we are also into "experience" gifts and dh's mom loves pedicures and would love to take dd. i see it as a great bday/christmas gift. something she will love AND no added clutter in my house.

so...what do you think?

BabyBearsMom
09-07-2013, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't do a pedicure due to health concerns (a lot of salons don't properly clean the foot baths and you can get staph) but I have brought 3.5 yo DD1 into a salon and had her toenails polished for a special occasion (celebrating no more diapers). We are conservative (no bikinis, no short shorts/miniskirts etc) but I'm ok with nail polish.

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2013, 12:11 PM
If I had girls, we totally would have been having spa parties for ages 4-5 up. Our salon opens new equipment each time and I feel like things are well run and clean.

Green_Tea
09-07-2013, 12:14 PM
I have no issue with pedicures for my girls (who are 9 & 10.5), though they usually opt for manicures instead. We've gone together a couple times a year over the past few years. They think it's a huge treat and it's a nice way to have mother/daughter time. We usually stop at Starbucks first :).

DD1 got her first manicure at a salon after she finished her first week of kindergarten without tears - she still stalks about it 5 years later!

AnnieW625
09-07-2013, 12:16 PM
My DD1 gets her nails trimmed and a polish change. If I take her she gets her fingers done as well. I started taking her when she was 4 because I needed her to see how easy and important it was to keep your toe nails clipped. She hated me having her nails clipped with a passion.

By my own mistake last year she once got a regular pedicure with a foot bath because I said pedicure instead of just polish change.

We only do it during the summer usually or for Thanksgiving/Christmas if it is going to 70 and we anticipate wearing sandals.

eta: the salons I go to open up new tools and you have to sign. The foot bathes are washed while your polish is drying.

Dd2 has no interest in nail polish even at almost 3.5.

baymom
09-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Well, DD is 7 and hadn't had a pedicure at a spa, but I paint her nails for her all the time. It doesn't really bother me, but I'm a bit nervous about taking her to a spa for health reasons.

Pennylane
09-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Yes, I take my girls. It is $12 for a pedicure with a small design. We probably do it 4 times a year. They love it and it is fun girl time for us.

Ann

missliss55
09-07-2013, 12:54 PM
My older girls and I love to go get pedicures together. Fun way to have some girl time. They love it!

flashy09
09-07-2013, 01:07 PM
My DD loves nail polish. She is obsessed with my toes when they are painted.

I actually paint hers with piggy paint every once in a while.

She is 21 months...my DH thinks I am one step away from a Toddlers and Tiaras mom!

But anyway, I think pedicures are fine at any age the kid wants them! Toe polish and a foot bath are a long way from twerking in my mind.

joonbug
09-07-2013, 01:07 PM
I took DD once so far only because she wanted a color to match my pedicure ;). The only painted her nails and she was super happy about it. I usually paint her toenails in summer myself.

123LuckyMom
09-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I guess I'm just an old stick in the mud, and I'll probably change my mind when DD is older, but I think polish is like makeup and is only for teens (with maybe a special tween dress up night thrown in there for fun.) I don't like seeing little girls with polish. Maybe, maybe a clear or shell pink, but I can't see taking DD to a regular manicure or pedicure. To me polish on little girls has an ick factor (but lots of things others do without a second thought are like that to me. I don't like earrings on babies or two piece bathing suits on prepubescent girls, either). The only way I can see doing this is if DD developed a habit of biting her nails. Then I'd take her for regular visits and keep (clear) polish on just to help stop the habit. Otherwise, though, I'll continue to think of polish like makeup and reserve it for the teen years.

KrisM
09-07-2013, 01:28 PM
I clip nails at home and have no problem with polish on toes. I don't think we need to go somewhere to have that done.

If she was invited to a spa party, I'd probably let her go, depending on who was doing the inviting.

AnnieW625
09-07-2013, 01:38 PM
I clip nails at home and have no problem with polish on toes. I don't think we need to go somewhere to have that done.

If she was invited to a spa party, I'd probably let her go, depending on who was doing the inviting.

you are lucky as DD1 would be in hysterics from a year old until she was about 4/1/2 any time I would try and trim her toes or fingers. At the nail salon she was perfect. I paint her toes at home as well and we started when she was 2/1/2.

HannaAddict
09-07-2013, 01:47 PM
We don't assign any moral issues to pedicures or children's bikinis. :)
My concern is cleanliness and not being too spoiled. It is not an every day thing, but a treat. I don't let anyone do anything to her cuticles but she can soak in the tub, get any color polish (brighter and multiple colors!) and on vacation in Maui, they did amazing nail art of turtles on her toes that she adored. We've done it as a mom/daughter thing and I think the first time was around five. She's almost 7. She picks pretty sophisticated colors these days, not pink, but deeper colors. We also do polish at home with me or our sitter on "movie night."

ETA My polish wearing child is an amazing athlete who can muck stalls, do pull ups and matrix moves on the monkey bars, and swims like a fish as well in an appropriate two piece as in her "conservative" Speedo. She's kind to other kids and empathetic, not petty. Anyone who thinks her polish or swim suit sexualizes her has their own problem.

I think it is fine not to do it, different choices and all, but I think that equating polish or a $6 soak and polish "pedicure" with a parade of high maintenance beauty routines for kids is a false comparison. I think it has more to do with the mom or family's choice and habits in my experience. I never had a pedicure until my late 20's, there weren't salons all over when I was growing up. I do it more now as we can afford it and when I paint my nails it doesn't look great no matter how careful I am! Sad but true. I even get my hair blown out for events, it lasts a week and looks so much better than when I do it and saves time too. (thick hair!). But it doesn't mean I'm superficial or judge those who don't do it. But equating the choice to do pedicures or blowouts as a morally hollow choice or way to sexualize just doesn't sit right.

KrisM
09-07-2013, 01:57 PM
you are lucky as DD1 would be in hysterics from a year old until she was about 4/1/2 any time I would try and trim her toes or fingers. At the nail salon she was perfect. I paint her toes at home as well and we started when she was 2/1/2.

I did it while they slept until 2years old or so. She's 7 now, so not an issue at all. She usually does her own toes and I supervise.

smilequeen
09-07-2013, 02:11 PM
If I had a girl, I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with an occasional pedicure. It's the full makeup dance recitals that make me feel sick... But who knows, I spend more money to get pedicures from a spa owned by a podiatrist that uses similar cleaning methods to my dental office, so I'd probably want my kid going there too and...well, it's a little pricey for a kid.

ha98ed14
09-07-2013, 02:20 PM
I see no reason to not let my DD get a pedi if she wants to. I have already taken her to get a mani 3-4 times since she turned 5. My "rules" are no clipping her nails, only filing, and not cutting her cuticles. Other than that, it's just a hand massage, some lotion and some nail polish. What's the big deal? I don't mind paying $20 for it. It's our fun time together. Personally, I don't think denying her the "fun" things she sees me doing is going to make her appreciate them more later or be a more grateful, satisfied human being. I think she (and I) ought to enjoy it while she is still interested in spending time with me.

lalasmama
09-07-2013, 02:23 PM
DD's been getting them for 18 months or so. She gets a pedi when I go in for a mani (every few months). I hate clipping her nails--she wiggles, she giggles, she criticizes. So, every few months, someone else can deal with it ;) And they have a much more extensive polish collection. DD is stuck on a bright glittery pumpkin color right now.

I try to tie it to something special, like an awesome week at school, acing a hard test, or sometimes just a "we need girls time" with her and her sisters and me. She knows to not expect it, she knows most kids don't get pedis often, and that pedis are a "big girl" thing.

BunnyBee
09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I didn't realize it was a conservative issue?

My oldest has gone with me and her grandmother. She usually picks fun, bright colors like hot pink, purple, or some crazy aqua or green.

Re: makeup at dance recitals... Even the boys wear it at the studios where we have taken dance or theater. Otherwise their faces are blank blobs under the lights. It is startling in photos or up close in person.

abh5e8
09-07-2013, 02:43 PM
my dh is (little c) conservative in the sense of (for his young daughters) no make up or lip gloss, no pierces ears, no finernail polish or bikinis or anything else one may associate with sexuality and/or an adult body. :)

eta: and while i do agree with him on all of the above, i actually see pedicures as a way take good care of your feet. I get them regularly but only get clear or very pale pink polish (or sometimes no polish at all). thats why i was curious to see what others think/do.

KrisM
09-07-2013, 03:03 PM
It seems like a lot of the opinions vary depending on what you do yourself. This year, I had one in May. That's it. Otherwise, I shower, soak my feet in a bowl, use a pumice stone, and file my nails at home. I don't find it that hard to do on my own. I don't think my mom has ever had a pedicure or manicure in her life. I've never had a manicure. I've had less than 10 total in the 4 years since I went the first time.

icunurse
09-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't like them for little girls. I think it gives the wrong impression about looking good through make-up to a young mind. I'd rather my DD not be able to maintain a mani or pedi because she is too busy running barefoot or playing a sport. Right now, that is where she is at and I'm happy. I have painted her nails maybe four times, just not something I enjoy or encourage. But I think she would LOVE to get a manicure just be be like the big girls :)

I find that, at least around me, children are being treated like little adults (mani/pedi, full blow out haircuts, iced coffee drinks, cell phones, highlights) and I do think about if we are giving them all of this now, what do they have to look forward to?

elephantmeg
09-07-2013, 04:17 PM
We do home nail color but no pedicures yet. A pedicure is a once a year treat for me (I either go for mother's day or my birthday). I have a lot of coworkers that take their 5 yo's but I don't feel the need!

elephantmeg
09-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I find that, at least around me, children are being treated like little adults (mani/pedi, full blow out haircuts, iced coffee drinks, cell phones, highlights) and I do think about if we are giving them all of this now, what do they have to look forward to?

that's it exactly!

elliput
09-07-2013, 04:26 PM
No. I would not let DD get a pedicure. A NMS situation as I prefer a natural look, and she won't let anyone touch her feet to trim her nails anyway do to sensory issues. For years, I could only trim her nails if she were completely asleep. She will do them now herself and once in a while I can convince her to let me clip to straighten the nail edge out.

carolinacool
09-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Well, I have a boy, so I don't think this will be an issue. LOL But I wouldn't have a problem with DD getting a pedicure. I probably go every couple of months and wish I could go more often! I do polish in the interim, but they can do such a better job and I feel like their work lasts longer. And I can read a magazine and drink a latte while they do it! This wouldn't even merit a raised eyebrow from me if hypothetical DD wanted one.

HannaAddict
09-07-2013, 04:50 PM
that's it exactly!

Lots to look forward to , really.

maestramommy
09-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Dh and I are pretty conservative too. While I didn't do anything like that until my 30s obviously my kids don't have to wait that long. But we tell them that things like this fall in the category of "when you are a big kid (12-13)."

Now that said, a few weeks ago we went to a fundraising event hosted by my friend's dog rescue (where we got Shep). Her daughter and friend were giving free "nail painting" with nail polish, the real kind that doesn't wash off, lol. Since it was free and obviously done by amateurs I said okay, why not? Dh walked away to have a good cry, lol. But since then when they have asked we say no again, the fundraiser was a special event, but we want them to wait until they are older, because (I think) it's not good for their nails.

I've gotten a pedi a couple of times since they've been old enough to notice, and it was for a wedding. It's not my normal thing, and I think mani's are a waste of money for me, because they get trashed within 24 hours. So to them it's a completely outside thing, not a "want to be like mommy" thing.

sntm
09-07-2013, 06:18 PM
I get Mani/pedis regularly because I suck at painting my own nails, I wear open shoes a lot, and I'm hard on my hands at work. I love it and had a great experience taking my 4 year old niece this summer. I don't see it an sexualizing or even adult but pampering and creative expression. Nail polish equivalent to fun tutus, etc. I go almost exclusively to a salon that uses separate bowls for washing an uses low chemical/organic polishes and lotions.

Green_Tea
09-07-2013, 07:07 PM
I don't like them for little girls. I think it gives the wrong impression about looking good through make-up to a young mind. I'd rather my DD not be able to maintain a mani or pedi because she is too busy running barefoot or playing a sport. Right now, that is where she is at and I'm happy. I have painted her nails maybe four times, just not something I enjoy or encourage. But I think she would LOVE to get a manicure just be be like the big girls :)

Oh, my kids don't MAINTAIN their manis/pedis. They are chipped within days, if not hours. They run, swim, play field hockey, and don't pay a speck of attention to their nails. It's just a fun experience to get a manicure, a little pampering and girl time they enjoy.

And for the record, they get their hair cut at the Hair Cuttery (no blowout or highlights), order hot chocolate at Starbucks, and beg to play on MY cell phone (I usually say no). They have plenty to look forward to.

citymama
09-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't take my young DDs to a salon for health reasons - the bacteria, the fumes, the chemicals. Some of the highest rates of miscarriage, birth defects and a variety of cancers are seen in nail salon workers. (https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/nailsalons/chemicalhazards.html)

For this reason, I don't use conventional brands of nail polish on my kids, just Piggy Paint. I go to a salon for a pedicure maybe 3-4 times a year at most, and only started doing so about 5 years ago.

georgiegirl
09-07-2013, 08:35 PM
I've never taken DD (7), but my stepmom did this summer, but just for polish on nails and toes. If course it chipped immediately. I do paint both DD and DS's toes on a regular basis...well, they always beg for polish when u paint my own toes. I have blue and green for DS, but often he wants pink.

DD has been invited to a birthday party at a salon where they will do the girls' hair, nails, and toes.

wendibird22
09-07-2013, 09:09 PM
I have no problem with either Dd (6 and 3.5) having their toes polished. But, I do it myself. I have a ton of polishes and DDs have piggy paint. I see no need to take them for a pedi...we don't have the time and to me, it's not worth the money. Now if DD1 was invited to go with a girlfriend for a party I'd let her.

LMPC
09-07-2013, 09:15 PM
For health reasons, I wouldn't allow DD (4.5) to get a pedicure, but she has been several times to a spa/salon with me and had her nails painted. We are not conservative at all.

oneplustwo
09-07-2013, 10:53 PM
As some others have said, I haven't taken DD for two reasons, health concerns and $$. I have no problem with nail painting for kids though (my boys loved having their nails painted in their favorite colors when they were really young but they would probably NEVER admit to that :) ) and DD paints her own toes and fingernails nowadays, but I'll leave the salon stuff for when she's much older. I don't have a problem with others doing it for their kids. It's like ear piercing ~ every parent decides what works and what's best for their families, there's no one right answer.

crayonblue
09-07-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm way more strict on lots of issues but make-up is way down on the list. Partly because DD1 is in theater and is becoming very proficient at putting on her own make-up. For special occasions we let her wear a bit of blush and lip stick. Both of my girls regularly have painted toes and fingernails. Living in SoCal, pedicures are a regular occurrence so I'm fine with that for the girls too.

fedoragirl
09-07-2013, 11:31 PM
No pedicures for my kids. I don't know when I will allow it as only time will tell. Money and health are the main reasons we will not do pedicures. There is no "pedicure culture"where we live so I don't foresee DD or DS asking me for one.

sweetsue98
09-07-2013, 11:38 PM
I get a pedi about once per month. DH has a weird thing with feet so he would actually like me to go more often than once per month. Dd is 3 yo and I would be fine with taking her.....only for a treat not a regular occurrence. The salon I go to would only be soaking her feet and painting her toe nails so I see not harm in it.

SASM
09-08-2013, 01:35 PM
In our last town, there was a VERY clean/hygienic salon where I would get pedi's. My girls would get polish changed occasionally. DD1 asked for a pedi before we moved, and as a special treat, I obliged. It was her last day of school. I will feel comfortable with her getting another until I am happy with another salon in our new location. When I do treat her, it, again, will be for special occasions. I NEVER spend more than $30.

niccig
09-08-2013, 02:35 PM
It seems like a lot of the opinions vary depending on what you do yourself.

I don't have a DD, but I agree with this. I rarely have a pedicure, maybe twice a year if that. I didn't grow up where women regularly went to have their nails done because it's expensive. My first pedicure was when I moved to US at 29 years of age. Everyone I knew growing up painted their own nails at home. I didn't even do this regularly as it's not something my mother ever did. If I did have a DD, I can see waiting until she's older as it's just not something that I do myself, so why would a DD get to do it regularly.