PDA

View Full Version : Library etiquette for preschool kids?

Pinky
09-07-2013, 02:28 PM
What are the rules at your public library regarding reshelving books? When we go we can easily read ten books in the kids section. After reading we return them to the cart by the front desk because I don't think we are supposed to put them back on the shelves ourselves. Seems like we are creating a ton of work for the librarians so was just curious what you guys do.

My 3.5 yo loves to pick random books out to read while we're there but I always feel a little guilty for all the extra work they have to do.

wellyes
09-07-2013, 02:29 PM
We are asked to not re-shelve books.
Just think, if you took the books out, then returned them, the staff would have to re-shelf them then, right?

ett
09-07-2013, 02:41 PM
We were always taught not to re-shelves books. A mis-shelved book is like a lost library book, so librarians don't want you to do it yourself. You may put it in the right place, but a lot of people won't.

lutefisk
09-07-2013, 02:51 PM
We were always taught not to re-shelves books. A mis-shelved book is like a lost library book, so librarians don't want you to do it yourself. You may put it in the right place, but a lot of people won't.

Yup. Also, some libraries look at the kinds of items that are just used inside the library, as a guide to what they should buy in the future. (I did a little of this when working at libraries in the past.)

LKMang
09-07-2013, 03:48 PM
I work in a library and we have carts all over for patrons to put books back after they are finished. Don't worry about creating work. In my library we have shelvers that do it. Totally agree that we'd rather do the work and make sure it's put back in the right place!