PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Question--Wedding Pictures

lalasmama
09-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Long story short... Our wedding photographer was a casual friend who does photography on the side. She gave us a great deal--$75/hour, first 2 hours free, rights to all the photos, and a CD of edited and unedited pics. I've seen her work before, and liked it. Additional CDs are $5 (with rights included). Photos are pushed to Facebook the night of the wedding, and CDs mailed out within the week.

The photos were never pushed to FB. It took her a month to get the CD to us, and only when DH was stopping by her house to drop off some hand-me-downs... The CD had 2 pics edited, and all the rest aren't. Total of about 200 pictures. She still hasn't sent out the CDs that my aunts have ordered and paid for.

Here's my ethical dilemma... Aunts are asking for the CDs, photographer isn't responding. Is it okay for me to copy the CD that I have (and that I'm editing the pictures from), and pass them on to my aunts? I mean, they already are paid for; the photographer isn't losing any money from me doing it.

kara97210
09-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I think it's fine for you to copy the CD for your aunts since they are already paid for and it sounds like there is a decent chance your friend won't ever get around to providing them.

Pennylane
09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Yes, I would do that and wouldn't think a thing about it. She should feel awful for not being more professional!

Ann

123LuckyMom
09-07-2013, 06:50 PM
In this case, I would also make copies. Your friend may not honor her contract, and if paying for the cd gives you rights to the pictures, you have the right to share them as you wish, electronically or otherwise. It's even more clear cut in your case, because your aunts also paid for CDs. I would copy them without hesitation.

AshleyAnn
09-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I think you have the right to copy your CD regardless of if someone paid or didn't pay since it came with rights. I know I was told I could do whatever I wanted with my photographers CD and I copied that sucker about 50 times!

KrisM
09-07-2013, 08:07 PM
In this case, I would also make copies. Your friend may not honor her contract, and if paying for the cd gives you rights to the pictures, you have the right to share them as you wish, electronically or otherwise. It's even more clear cut in your case, because your aunts also paid for CDs. I would copy them without hesitation.

I agree. I'd have no problems copying it.

Mommy_Mea
09-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I agree with PP, copy away...

ckso
09-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I would copy them as often as you liked since it comes with rights. Is the $5 ones nicer such that it comes with covers on the case? If not then I would just tell everyone if they wanted one I would just copy it for them instead of having them pay for it

wellyes
09-08-2013, 06:35 AM
I'm sorry your friend flaked out on you.
Do whatever you want with the CD.

indigo99
09-08-2013, 11:42 AM
As with most things, it's only a great deal if you get a good price and good quality/product. It sounds like this may have been a little too good to be true. Most photographers take atleast 2-3 weeks to have the photos ready to show at all. There's really no way to do anything to them if you're uploading the same day.

I agree with pp. Your aunts were paying for an actual disc copy, but you already paid for the rights to the photos so you can go ahead and share them as you wish. There's no ethical problem except the fact that this "friend" isn't holding up her end of the sale.