PDA

View Full Version : Garage sale pricing?

firstbaby
09-08-2013, 11:58 AM
We have a large community yard sale next weekend and we have pulled together quite a bit to sell. But, I'm stumped on pricing. I want to price it to move, but not give it away. I have a lot of women's clothes including Lucky jeans, Boden tops, etc. How would you price these things in excellent condition? How about maternity clothes that aren't shiny brand new but have plenty of wear left? I also have a lot of toys - like a big box of Zoobs, big bucket of Gears, Gears, Gears, Melissa and Doug wooden castle, etc and don't know the "perfect" price point. How about the little ride on toys for new walkers? What about a ceiling fan that works but can't find the remote? Full set of Debbie Mum christmas dishes? Assorted books? Help :) We live in a higher COL area, but several neighbors have mentioned people were expecting them to give stuff away rather than pay $3 for a brand new winter jacket from Gymboree.

Also, I've gotten conflicting information about pricing - one girlfriend prices nothing so people have to ask and she does really well. Most garage sales I've been to have most of it marked. Thoughts?

KrisM
09-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I very rarely buy if nothing is marked. I'll move on. I don't want to have to track someone down to ask a price on everything I am interested in. So, I vote for pricing. At least a sign saying "all clothes $x" is good.

Here, women's clothes are $3-$5 or so. Maternity is probably a bit less than that. Zoobs, Gears, I'd go $5 or $8 and the castle maybe $10. Ride ons would be $2 or $3. Ceiling fan maybe $4 to $5. Books tend to be $.50 for paperback or kids books and $1 for hardcover.

AshleyAnn
09-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I very rarely buy if nothing is marked. I'll move on. I don't want to have to track someone down to ask a price on everything I am interested in. So, I vote for pricing. At least a sign saying "all clothes $x" is good.

Here, women's clothes are $3-$5 or so. Maternity is probably a bit less than that. Zoobs, Gears, I'd go $5 or $8 and the castle maybe $10. Ride ons would be $2 or $3. Ceiling fan maybe $4 to $5. Books tend to be $.50 for paperback or kids books and $1 for hardcover.

:yeahthat:

Those prices seem pretty standard for yard sales here (but I'm in a low COL area)

IME yard sale shoppers don't care about brands like Boden they're just clothes to them. Idk if people even know Boden here!

Maybe you should check out your local goodwill/thrift shop and see how they price things. That's a good judge of what people will expect IMO

SnuggleBuggles
09-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I think if you want to make $ on your clothes, a garage sale is not the way to go. If you just want them gone and maybe a few dollars in your pocket, then go for it.

MSWR0319
09-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I think if you want to make $ on your clothes, a garage sale is not the way to go. If you just want them gone and maybe a few dollars in your pocket, then go for it.

:yeahthat:

We live in a rural area and everyone wants everything for CHEAP at garage sales. I found a local facebook selling page and can't believe the prices people will pay on there. I've sold quite a bit of stuff at pretty good prices. Do you have one of those that you could sell your name brand clothes on?

mom2binsd
09-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Unless they can try on expensive clothing items I wouldn't sell them there.

I'd try either craigslist for the Boden type stuff or better yet, is there a consignment store that you can take the nicer stuff too, like Clothes Mentor or a small consignment shop, garage sale shoppers don't like to pay more than 2.00 for most clothing unless it's something they know and really really want.

For tshirts etc, I try to do easy pricing, .50 for kids tshirts, 1.00 for adult tops, 1.00 for kids pants, 2.00 for adult jeans, shoes 2.-3.00, jackets about 4.00.

Honestly after seeing what I can claim when I itemize my donations on goodwill I donate a lot (not the Boden stuff though).