PDA

View Full Version : Housekeeper stole from me...is there anything I can do?

lcarlson90
09-08-2013, 07:32 PM
This started about a month ago when my IPod nano went missing. Then 2 weeks ago my watch went missing. Today I was looking through my jewelry box thinking maybe it was in there. I discovered a solid gold bracelet that my grandma gave me on my wedding day is gone. I tell my husband and he looks in his drawer and his white gold bracelet that I gave him on our wedding day is gone to. I am devastated. We have had the same housekeeper for over 2 years and never had a problem. I did notice for the first time a few months ago she had a helper. Is there anything we can do? I am sure the police would just laugh at me if I reported its.

firstbaby
09-08-2013, 07:40 PM
My girlfriend's cleaning person took her diamond wedding band and when she called and asked them to "check through things" before she filed a police report, they mysteriously found it "in the vacuum". I would totally call the main person about it and let her know that you will be filing a police report and ask her just to "double check" things didn't leave the house with her or the helper. I'm sure you're not the only one who's had problems :(

hillview
09-08-2013, 07:41 PM
My girlfriend's cleaning person took her diamond wedding band and when she called and asked them to "check through things" before she filed a police report, they mysteriously found it "in the vacuum". I would totally call the main person about it and let her know that you will be filing a police report and ask her just to "double check" things didn't leave the house with her or the helper. I'm sure you're not the only one who's had problems :(

:yeahthat:
same thing happened to my mom, it was "found" in the couch.

TwinFoxes
09-08-2013, 09:09 PM
No advice, but I hope you get your things back. That's just awful. :hug:

chlobo
09-08-2013, 09:14 PM
This happened to a friend. They stole spare change from her husbands pants. After talking to the police, they set up a sting operation to catch them in the act and then hey we're arrested.

I think I would try what was suggested above and if nothing comes of it contact the police.

viba424
09-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Such a terrible invasion, disgusting. I like the idea of inquiring with a heads up that a police report is imminent.

Sweetsunshine
09-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Such a terrible invasion, disgusting. I like the idea of inquiring with a heads up that a police report is imminent.

:yeahthat:

lcarlson90
09-08-2013, 10:09 PM
The problem is that the stuff they stole wasn't stuff we have worn recently so I don't know when it was taken. Since I posted this I realized they also stole my class ring and a gold ring my parents gave me for my first communion. I am guessing they sold the stuff to one of those places that pays you for your gold and then they melt it down. Do you think I can file a homeowners claim even though the housekeeper wasn't licensed or bonded?

Pennylane
09-08-2013, 10:25 PM
That stinks so bad, so sorry!!

I would contact the police first and see what they say. I would not mention it at all to your housekeeper until you know what recourse you have against them .

Ann

♥ms.pacman♥
09-08-2013, 10:43 PM

i would do this too. i've heard other people have the same thing happen (babysitter or housekeeper stealing things) and they first mention it (sometimes really innocently like "I've noticed xxx has gone missing. Would you have by chance seen it?" and many many times it gets mysteriously "found" somewhere the next day. I'm guessing they steal things that they think won't go noticed and they keep taking until you say something. Though if you can't tell when it was taken that makes it really hard bc they likely will have pawned it already.

But in any case, wow, that really stinks... sounds like she's stolen a lot from you, i would be devastated as well. I would put remaining valuables in a safe for now. Stinks that you have to do that.

kristenk
09-08-2013, 10:48 PM
This happened to a friend. They stole spare change from her husbands pants. After talking to the police, they set up a sting operation to catch them in the act and then hey we're arrested.

Wow! A sting for spare change? I'm guessing they took other things, too...?

OP, I agree with asking the housekeeper to help you find the items. That stinks. :(