PDA

View Full Version : DH and the 2 hour planning meeting

bisous
09-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Yes, two hours to plan our next two months. Why you ask? Are we disagreeing? Is there a lot to go over? Are we going into tremendous detail? NO! It took that long because DH had to carefully enter every.single.detail into his iphone calendar application and that is how long it took him. He was entering reminders, times, dates, places, etc. DH I'm glad that you are organized. I know that you have ADD and it helps you tremendously to have these details and reminders but HOLY COW I cannot believe how long it takes you to do things. Meanwhile it took me about 5 seconds to write down all the same things in my $1 pocket monthly organizer... I finally gave up. We didn't get through the end of October. SIL is asking about an event we're trying to plan (camping trip at the beach) and I realize I can't answer her because I didn't get that far...

Not huge in the scheme of things but this is how EVERYTHING is with this man. This wonderful man that I love, fantastic father, great husband, slowest person on the face of the earth!

hillview
09-09-2013, 11:34 AM
we are married to the same guy. I just email his admin who puts it in for him.

BabyBearsMom
09-09-2013, 12:02 PM
DH's iphone calendar is linked to our google calendar. I go on and enter all of the reminders directly in the google calendar and it populates both of our phones.

egoldber
09-09-2013, 12:04 PM
DH's iphone calendar is linked to our google calendar. I go on and enter all of the reminders directly in the google calendar and it populates both of our phones.

:yeahthat:

If you can link your calendar's electronically, it is sooooo much easier. I just enter in the meeting/event/appointment/class and "invite" him to it. That way all he has to do is accept the invite.

123LuckyMom
09-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I feel for you! My DH is also the slowest human on the planet until it comes to a really important decision that requires thoughtfulness and research. Then he wants to accomplish the task IMMEDIATELY, especially if I'm on the phone, or bathing the children. Sigh.

ahisma
09-09-2013, 12:26 PM

We do this too. It's our only hope.

TwinFoxes
09-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Same here. I do it on the desktop, it's super fast.

AnnieW625
09-09-2013, 12:31 PM
At least your DH uses a calendar. I write stuff on our paper calendar and DH nevers looks at it. He looks at his phone if he remembers to put in an event like his hair cuts or medical appointments, but most times I just have to tell him to be home by X hour on X day on the morning of. He uses his outlook calendar religiously at work though. I try not to stress out about it. I tried Google Calendar for us and it was big fat fail as he never checked it.

Giantbear
09-09-2013, 01:09 PM
we are married to the same guy. I just email his admin who puts it in for him.

pretty sure that would be a separate Bitching thread

niccig
09-09-2013, 04:02 PM
:yeahthat:

If you can link your calendar's electronically, it is sooooo much easier. I just enter in the meeting/event/appointment/class and "invite" him to it. That way all he has to do is accept the invite.

:yeahthat: We use google calendars. I have a separate calendar for DS and DH is automatically invited to all of DS's events - DH just loves when I put in the soccer game schedule as he gets 20 invites in one hit. I have separate calendar for my things and invite DH as needed. He can see all my calendars and I can see his, so we can check out things if need to.

JanBaby
09-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Ha ha - love this. We both use Outlook for work so I send everything that occurs during the week via an Outlook meeting request. Then I have an old school calendar to keep track of those events along with all our weekend stuff (it's a little bit of duplicate work for me but it works). At least once a week:

DH: What do we have going on the weekend of October Whatever?
Me: Check the calendar in the dining room

Three days later:

hillview
09-09-2013, 04:59 PM
pretty sure that would be a separate Bitching thread
:ROTFLMAO:

Ha ha - love this. We both use Outlook for work so I send everything that occurs during the week via an Outlook meeting request. Then I have an old school calendar to keep track of those events along with all our weekend stuff (it's a little bit of duplicate work for me but it works). At least once a week:

Three days later:

Yeah this is me. Also check your iPhone, your admin should have it in there. I am his walking talking calendar.

StantonHyde
09-09-2013, 06:53 PM
I email everything to DH--only way he remembers it. I would love to sync phones but I don't want all of his stuff on my phone and he wouldn't look at a google calendar--he can't even look at the kitchen calendar we have now!! Tonight, he is looking at the calendar and asks, "So what's going on Wednesday?".
I say: "What does it say?" (gahhhhhhhh!!!!!)
Him: "It says you have X but I want to do Y because its the last time this summer I can go."
Me: Do you want me to call the sitter? (because he has NEVER called a sitter)
HIm: That would be great.

sigh......

khm
09-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Can your husbands' have personal stuff on their work calendars?

I have and loooooooove Google Calendar. My husband uses a single Outlook Calendar for work and for personal. But, I don't want all my husband's stuff and he doesn't want all of mine. So, for kid stuff we just invite each other and it gets saved in our calendar of choice. (My husband would also never, ever look at yet another calendar.) Just last night I sent him all 20 upcoming soccer games, etc.

I do have Google/Outlook Calendar sync for his PC, it has been discontinued, but you can still find it on the web. So, he gets everything from his Outlook on his Droid.

egoldber
09-09-2013, 07:21 PM
I would love to sync phones but I don't want all of his stuff on my phone and he wouldn't look at a google calendar

My DH has a work calendar and we have a home calendar. They both show up on his phone, but I only see the home calendar. So when I "invite" him to Ballet class for younger DD or a ped appointment, it automatically shows up on his phone. He doesn't have to go look for it. It's there.

bisous
09-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Okay, I'm going to have to figure out how to send DH an invite. That sounds like the perfect solution! I will check out google calendar. He'll probably still ask me for stuff and forget but at least the "planning" meeting will be shortened, lol. :)

BabyBearsMom
09-10-2013, 03:38 PM
I would love to sync phones but I don't want all of his stuff on my phone and he wouldn't look at a google calendar

You can put multiple calendars on the iPhone. I have my work calendar (an Outlook version) and my personal calendar (Google Calendar which DH and I share) on my phone. When I look at my calendar, things from my personal calendar are in pink and my work calendar are in blue but they are both on the same page. I can also pull up DH's work calendar (Outlook, his appointment show up in green) but I have it set to not display on my phone. I will look at it if I need to check his availability for something (i.e. I'm setting up a doctor's appt for the girls, the timing doesn't work for me, so I check his calendar to verify that he is open to take them. That way I'm not calling him to see if he is available all the time). We do it through our home cloud and DH set it up, so I'm not sure how he did it. It is AWESOME.

BabbyO
09-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Can your husbands' have personal stuff on their work calendars?

I have and loooooooove Google Calendar. My husband uses a single Outlook Calendar for work and for personal. But, I don't want all my husband's stuff and he doesn't want all of mine. So, for kid stuff we just invite each other and it gets saved in our calendar of choice. (My husband would also never, ever look at yet another calendar.) Just last night I sent him all 20 upcoming soccer games, etc.

I do have Google/Outlook Calendar sync for his PC, it has been discontinued, but you can still find it on the web. So, he gets everything from his Outlook on his Droid.

This is why google calendars is AWESOME. DH has his own calendar, I have my own and we have a family calendar, and now there is a school calendar. I don't have to see DH's calendar, but I can if I want (just turn it on or off). The critical calendars are the family and school as they affect each of us...but I like that I can see as little or as much as I want! That said, it is hard if he'll never look at another calendar platform.

khm
09-10-2013, 05:18 PM
This is why google calendars is AWESOME. DH has his own calendar, I have my own and we have a family calendar, and now there is a school calendar. I don't have to see DH's calendar, but I can if I want (just turn it on or off). The critical calendars are the family and school as they affect each of us...but I like that I can see as little or as much as I want! That said, it is hard if he'll never look at another calendar platform.

Yeah, we each have our own. Family stuff isn't on its own calendar though, we invite each other to stuff we both need to have on our calendars.

I actually like it that way a lot because if the appointment changes, the other person gets a heads up email vs. having it just change silently, VERY handy. If you change an appointment on the family one, do you both get notified? I assumed not, but maybe I'm wrong!

If I want to see all his stuff, yes, I can see his google calendar by opening it in mine. It is great!

petesgirl
09-10-2013, 05:59 PM
I took your my DH 2 hrs (with his dad's help) to hang one framed photo on our wall. It's the reason we have lived in this house for a year and a half and only have, oh, one picture up. I just can't stand it.

niccig
09-10-2013, 06:01 PM
. He'll probably still ask me for stuff :)

That's when you say "check the calendar" repeatedly. It took DH a little while to start using it but had no choice when he called to ask a question about calendar event, and I told him to check it.

BabbyO
09-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah, we each have our own. Family stuff isn't on its own calendar though, we invite each other to stuff we both need to have on our calendars.

I actually like it that way a lot because if the appointment changes, the other person gets a heads up email vs. having it just change silently, VERY handy. If you change an appointment on the family one, do you both get notified? I assumed not, but maybe I'm wrong!

If I want to see all his stuff, yes, I can see his google calendar by opening it in mine. It is great!

When things change it only emails one of us, but DH LIVES by the google calendar, so really, I'm the one that causes problems some times because I forget to put something on the calendar. I'm also pretty lucky because DH is very communicative about scheduling. We figured out early that we were both MUCH happier if we communicated scheduling well. The only difficulty now is that I still don't have a smart phone, so I have no way to check the calendar on the go. I actually have to be in front of a computer or with DH.

dogmom
09-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Oh, I hear you, but not to the same degree. I would put N12 or D12 to indicate a 12 hour night or day shift (7 to 7) My DH INSISTED I needed to put in not just the times I was working, but had to block out my nap before and sleep after. It was completely confusing on my calendar. I would glance at it and go, "WTF, how am I working 5 shifts in a row?" but it was all the "extra" time. I would understand if my routine changed. But it was the same every time. I just wanted to scream at him and say, "Use some common sense, if I am working a N12 the night before do not expect me to be there at 6 am the next morning!" I refused to do it.