PDA

View Full Version : How much does a 10 year old need for lunch?

Binkandabee
09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
DD#1 is about to drive me crazy with her lunch. She has the pottery barn kids spencer box that I fill up for her. Today, I put in a ham sandwich, carrots, cheese cubes, yogurt covered pretzels and goldfish. She looks at her lunch and says I'm trying to starve her and that it's not nearly enough food. I'm half tempted to just have her buy her lunch everyday because I clearly can't pack anything she likes. She is a carbokid...all she wants is carbs and salt, so it's a challenge packing something that is reasonably healthy and doesn't go to waste.

Can the mamas with older kids weigh in on what your kiddos eat for lunch and portion size? My DD eats breakfast and they are allowed a snack in class in the afternoons.

kep
09-09-2013, 11:42 AM
That's about what I pack for my 10 year old. I might also add a handful of pistachios, a yogurt tube, or an energy bar. I fill the lunch box and then tuck things in around it in the lunch bag. Can she buy things ala cart at school? Meaning, send her a packed lunch but also give her a dollar or two if she's still hungry.

daisymommy
09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
That is a tad bit more than my 10 year old would eat, so in my guestimation you are doing just fine. Maybe she is having a growth spurt and extra hungry?

Sent from my iPad

squimp
09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
My DD is a huge and hungry almost 10-year old 4th grader. She eats a thermos full of pasta with peas, chicken on some sort of protein, several pieces of fruit, nuts, yogurt and a granola bar. She lets me know if she needs more food. She also has a snack. I say if your kid says he is hungry, he is! Maybe have him help pack lunch though - my DD has to pack her lunch a few days a week since she refuses school lunch. She started doing this in 2nd grade.

schrocat
09-09-2013, 02:32 PM
That would probably not be enough food for my 8 year old third grader. I pack him a funtainer full of noodles, lots of chicken, beef, pork, shredded carrots and brocolli and it all gets finished. He also gets a side box of watermelon or whatever fruit we have on hand (about a cup) and that gets finished too plus 8 ounces of organic chocolate milk.