PDA

View Full Version : flea ointment for dog -- what do you suggest?

hillview
09-09-2013, 12:04 PM
I need to order something for our 40 lb labrodoodle. What do you suggest? Frontline? Adventix?

HipMama
09-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I really prefer the new pill. I think it's called Comfortis works a lot better than the topical and doesn't wash off or get on the kids.

wendibird22
09-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Owner of a 7yo 56lb English Springer Spaniel and we've used Advantix up until recently. Our vet now carries and prefers Vectra so we switched. http://www.vectrapet.com

Application is very similar to Advantix.

ETA: quite a few articles out there on vet websites about Vectra being preferred because it kills and repels fleas, ticks, and mosquitos, which some other products do not.

hellokitty
09-09-2013, 01:23 PM
We have been using Revolution. It works well on our dog (who is part dachshund and VERY low to the ground, so more likely to pick up hitch hikers). However, yeah, if you can find a pill that works well, so you don't have to worry about exposing the rest of the family, that would be ideal. His monthly dose is actually due today, so I put on gloves and pull apart the hair at his shoulder blades and squeeze in the liquid. Supposedly, it is ok after it dries. However, on those nights, he sleeps in his kennel. By day time, it is dry. He cannot have a bath until 3 days AFTER his dose (and he cannot get his dose unless he has been bath-free for 3 days before it is due too, probably has something to do with skin oils). Our vet always seems to have a deal where if we buy 6 doses, we get 2 free.

hellokitty
09-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Oh and I just looked up comfortis, but I see that it's only for fleas. The nice thing about the Revolution is that it covers, ticks, fleas, ear mites and heart worm. So, it's kind of all-in -one.

Snow mom
09-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I couldn't find anything that still killed fleas in TX. We ended up doing generic capstar which is a pill that can be given daily and only kills the adult fleas (you time it to break the life cycle--basically until all the eggs become adults and die). When we moved we switched to advantix II topical because ticks are the bigger worry. We haven't had any flea problems since moving but that might be a difference in exposure.

pb&j
09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
We just switched all pets (2 cats and a dog) to Vectra. We had been using a different montly religiously (Frontline for the cats, Advantix for the dog), and both the dog and 1 cat ended up with fleas recently. Fingers crossed that Vectra does the trick.

As our dog recently had Lyme and we live in a very tick-y area, we need something that also works on ticks.