PDA

View Full Version : Funeral annoucmenet question

wellyes
09-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Do you think the term "sudden loss" in an obituary or announcement is a reference to suicide? Would your mom?

Asking to see if I made a faux pas in sending a sympathy card mentioning a "sudden loss". My mom was raised to believe that is a coded phrase. Sent the card to someone from her same generation.

elliput
09-09-2013, 12:21 PM
To me, "sudden loss" means any death which was completely unexpected- suicide, murder victim, fatal car crash, drowning victim, heart attack, fatal stroke, etc. I have never heard of if being applied to any one specific cause of death.

kep
09-09-2013, 12:22 PM
To me, "sudden loss" means any death which was completely unexpected- suicide, murder victim, fatal car crash, drowning victim, heart attack, fatal stroke, etc. I have never heard of if being applied to any one specific cause of death.

:yeahthat:

kristenk
09-09-2013, 12:23 PM

:yeahthat: I just think it means any sort of sudden, unexpected death. I definitely wouldn't think coded phrase meaning suicide.

klwa
09-09-2013, 12:31 PM
I've never heard of it being anything other than an unexpected death, be it suicide or other.

BabyBearsMom
09-09-2013, 12:36 PM
A guy I knew in high school commited suicide and it was called a "sudden death" in the obituary. A friend's fiance died in a jet ski accident and it was also called a "sudden death". I don't think it is code.

specialp
09-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Agreeing with others and I know I have seen it recently in an obituary where it was definitely not a suicide. It was a young man (40s) who had a heart attack.

larig
09-09-2013, 12:40 PM

:yeahthat:

wellyes
09-09-2013, 12:59 PM
OK, good. That's what I thought too.
This is a case where I do not know how the young person (21) died and they are not making that info public, so I wanted to be especially careful.