PDA

View Full Version : Best gender-neutral toys for 3 and 5 year olds?

ourbabygirl
09-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Our kids' birthdays are coming up, and we've had some requests for gift ideas. The kids have most of what they need/ would like, but I'd like to steer away from the princess- and boyish-themed toys and accessories.

Are there any big hits with your kids?

Games might be a good possibility... the ones we have are very basic, boring/ easy, and I'd love to hear about your kids' favorite (non-electronic) games.
We also have Magnatiles, unit blocks (don't get any love), trains & Matchbox cars/ Hotwheels, a tiny amount of Legos, play food & kitchen, art supplies, ride-on toys, play tents & tunnels, doctor kit & some dress-up stuff (mostly for girls), magnetic dress-up dolls.

Any great book sets, games, sports-related items, movies, etc. that your 3-5 year olds love?

Thank you so much! :waving4:

abh5e8
09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
quadrilla is a hit with my 2, 4 and 6 y/os (boys and girl).
also their melissa and doug castle + people + furniture + knights and dragons (these are some kind of plastic set from kohls) and some random (generic) princesses and fairies.

citymama
09-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Legos/Duplos would be number 1 here, although DD1 plays with those a lot more (DD1 isn't into construction toys as much)
My kids, especially DD2, loooove Magformers
mudpuppy jigsaw puzzles
Board games - Busytown is one that can be enjoyed by both ages, also Zingo.
How about a play tent?

IansMom
09-09-2013, 07:31 PM
DS is 4. His favorite toys are:

Indoor mini trampoline
24 inch inflatable globe
Perplexus Rookie

Games:
Zingo
Busytown
His favorite is Stormy Seas. I think it is made by Hape.

He has also been begging for the Quadrilla. What about puzzles? Crocodile Creek makes some beautiful ones imo.

acmom
09-09-2013, 08:47 PM
I have a boy and girl too, same ages. The toys they both play with a lot are:

Games- sequence for kids, Zingo old maid are favorites
Sports/gross motor toys - soccer goal and ball, scooters, hula hoops, hop along balls
Stomp rockets
Magnatiles (often used with little animals, cars, people, superhero guys, fairies)
Playmobil - they spend a ton of indoor time with this!
Large cardboard building blocks
24-48 piece puzzles or big floor puzzles
Duplo

lizzywednesday
09-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Puzzles!! My DD (3.5 yrs old) is currently CRAZY for puzzles.

Duplo, musical instruments, and books are also big hits around our house.

Simon
09-11-2013, 07:39 PM
T-ball set and bats; pop up soccer goals and balls; basketball hoop w/ball. All those are used by our kids at those ages.

The marble run gets a lot of love at different ages. Maybe Kids K'nex if they like building. Ours didn't go for blocks of legos but love K'nex.

We've also tried to build on a theme when doing joint gifts for our kids:
A nature kit with magnifying glass, butterfly net, tree/plant/animal id cards, a bug house, safari/sun hat and vest with tons of pockets.
A camping set with sleeping bag, pad/nap mat, headlamp or lantern, canteen (aka water bottle) and small backback. Goes well with the tent.
Bedtime or Universe/planet kit with glow in the dark stickers, special light up tooth brush and fun toothpaste, new pajamas, pillow pet, new sheets or special pillow case, nightlight, Cloud B Twilight animal, and/or Uncle Milton's Moon in my Room.