PDA

View Full Version : At my wits end over our dogs

DualvansMommy
09-09-2013, 09:19 PM
So I posted about my dog's diarrhea the other day on my rug in the den. Thanks to all of the tips, the rug is good as new!!!

However, I'm really at my wits end and never felt that ever with dogs I've had as a pet over the years until now. I really need to vent as DH doesn't want to hear it since he just have had it with the dogs and only tolerating them for my sake.

The poop incident was only just the beginning! There's been many of that, and countless incidents of either my female or male Boxer chewing things in our house. It started off by having our fire logs chewed, newspapers to books. So we gotten to the habit of clearing every surface off in our den and gate them off to roam in den & kitchen areas only, while having access to their bed and water bowl.

My elderly male boxer (12) was diagnosed having irritable bowel syndrome. After countless tests, bloodwork, X-rays etc which cost us several thousands in vet bills, we finally got him cleared off parasites and on a special diet. However , he was still losing a lot of weight, he's now about 60 lbs (maybe 58) with increasing eccentric behavior. He would eat ANYTHING now!!! The other day 2 weeks ago, I came back home from 2 hour errand to find used razors on our bathroom floor, all eaten up!

That caused him to bleed anally, so another round of vet treatment for him and he's just about healed from that. We all went to a festival on Saturday from 4-8pm and as usual, we gated the dogs in den & kitchen to only come home and found another messy diarrhea accident on our just cleaned rug?!?!? And one of dogs was nowhere to be found, but I heard barking from upstairs so boomer managed to CHEW the wooden gate (yet again!!!!) to make a hole to get out and went upstairs.

I found him in our DS brand new bedroom with his new bed that just delivered that morning.... Half of DS's books/ few toys all chewed up, and the entire bottom portion of window blinds tore off & chewed!!!! He also ate a tube of A &D ointment, which caused him to have the diarrhea. It was at that point that I stopped defending him to DH like I always have in the past by saying he's old, or he's sick. I was so so angry at that dog and still am.

Today.... I had to go for my OB's appointment and was only gone for almost 2 hours. I defrosted pork tenderloin planned for tonight's dinner on the counter, still in store bought wrapping. I left the kitchen cleared of everything and gated the areas as usual with a new gate. Well , guess what? He ate it!!! the whole frigging tenderloin!! or maybe both dogs! I only would have known cuz they left little pieces of foil on the floor!

And the new gate was chewed AGAAIN!! I had all doors upstairs closed off as a precaution and still he or Brooklyn managed to jump on the couch in living room to reach for an empty water can to chew it!!

Sorry it's so long and venty! But I'm really at my wit ends and very nervous how ill handle them along with DS and the newborn in Jan. as it is, I spend so much time, energy, and prep every single time I need to step out of the house, and still come back to a mess 95% of the time!!!!! I feel like I can't even go out for an hour without coming home to something nowadays. Tired of dreading coming home to find what's in store for me... And honestly I feel like my DS is so much well behaved that he is be oping an after thought in this household, which isn't fair to him! DS has been taking to yelling at the dogs saying sit down!! Copying my tone of voice very clearly which is scary and sad for me because I do.not.want to be like that.

The dogs were adopted from a rescue organization that only take boxers and already have emailed them for solutions earlier tonight.

I know it's my bitch on this forum, but would like to hear from anyone who had situations like mine? Any btdt? Thanks for reading this long if you managed to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hillview
09-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Ugg. Sounds like you could use a trainer that makes house calls. Also I wonder if a kennel would help? (vs gates?)

zukeypur
09-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I second the kennel. They need to be crated while you're gone. You might also look into anti anxiety meds for destructo-dog.

KLD313
09-09-2013, 09:34 PM
I get it, I really do. I put up with a lot from my elderly dog but he's not as bad as you described. Do you leave the dog with appropriate things to chew? A Kong with peanut butter and treats? A marrow bone? Although that may give him more diarrhea if you don't remove the marrow. Is he tired when before you leave? Would it be possible to take him for a walk? I know it's not easy when pregnant. Last resort would be a crate. If I think of anything else I will post again.

KLD313
09-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Or maybe leaving the dogs in am x-pen if you don't want to crate them. Also, they have that stuff you plug in and it's supposed to calm the dog. My tenant uses that for her dog.

o_mom
09-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Agreeing - crate and approved chew-things.

Mali
09-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I'd also switch to buying metal gates instead of wooden ones. Buying new gates when they keep destroying them can't be cheap.

Eta: I know when we were gating our bedroom to keep the cat out I had found a tall metal gate at petco (iirc) that was designed for big dogs. It was probably 4ft tall. Not sure if your dogs are still feeling puppy enough to jump like that despite their age in case the gates you have been getting were on the shorter side.

twowhat?
09-09-2013, 11:13 PM
You need to crate them. Metal crates. Leave lots of safe chewables inside the crate and put it in a location where they are least likely to be anxious.

AshleyAnn
09-09-2013, 11:37 PM
My coworker has boxers. She has to crate them or they get into trouble. She puts hers both in 1 very large crate (they seem to prefer it) If gates aren't working I'd try kennel training.

Our German shepherd is crate trained and 100% happy to lay in his crate for down time even if the door is open.

Pennylane
09-10-2013, 09:22 AM
You need to crate them. Metal crates. Leave lots of safe chewables inside the crate and put it in a location where they are least likely to be anxious.

Yes, this!! I have had three boxers and they have never ( and I am not exaggerating ) chewed on anything other than their toys. I keep a basket full of my dogs treats and bones in the family room, he knows where they are, and that is what he chews on.

There is no way I would let these dogs destroy my house. Buy two large metal crates, put in a few old towels for them to lay on , throw in some chews and leave the house without worry!

These are hands down my favorite dog chews, and we have tried a ton!!

http://www.amazon.com/Cadet-Sterile-Natural-9-Inch-White/dp/B000BYPF7S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378819293&sr=8-3&keywords=Marrow+bones

Good luck!

Ann

DualvansMommy
09-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks to all for the commiseration and advice! I spoke with our dogs vet at length and he's suggesting the same too. The vet seem to believe Boomer is suffering some form of dementia too. I feel for him, but gosh am so over it already. Here's hoping the crate will work!

Someone mentioned kong with PB, we did that along with popular chewable toys when we got the dogs. It worked like a treat and only do the kong whenever we had to be gone from house for a long day. Now, boomer can't have PB with his kong due to his IBS.

Also, someone suggested walking the dogs, I actually walked them daily-2x particularly from spring through this past summer. As I discovered walking more was good for my pregnant body anyway. So I know it isn't from the lack of burning up energy for them, especially when they're slowing down due to age.

Any recs on a good solid metal crate???

Thanks penny lane for the link! I'll look into it and see about getting those.

Cate

o_mom
09-10-2013, 12:31 PM
They make a cheese-flavored filling for Kongs, but I'm guessing that a can of Easy-Cheese would probably work as well. That might be OK with the IBS.

The marrow bones are good and last a long time, but I'll warn you they hurt like heck if the dog drops it on your foot. :)

arivecchi
09-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Can you take them to doggy daycare when you will be gone a while? That will tire them out for sure!

arivecchi
09-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I've seen these crates recommeded in my dog forum: http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-54-By-35-By-45-Inch-Single-Door-Starter-Series/dp/B000LRMUT6

BabyBearsMom
09-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I feel for you, my dog has been in the "dog house" figuratively speaking as well. He was maliciously peeing on the girls' things (clearly jealous). We just started keeping their doors closed during the day. We put up a baby gate in our room so he can't sneak out when we are sleeping (he used to sneak downstairs and pee on the girls toy box). During the day, we gate off the living so he can't get to the toys. Basically the only rooms he has access to are the kitchen, the hallways and our bedroom. That seem to have done the trick. We do have a walker who comes mid-day to give him some exercise and he gets lots of walks with us (2x before work in the morning for 10 minutes each and 3x after work for 10 minutes each, he is a chihuahua so this is a lot for him) as he is not the kind of dog that you can send to the backyard to do his business alone. He needs an audience. Good luck with crating, I hope your pups feel better soon.

twowhat?
09-10-2013, 12:51 PM
I'll also add that it's important to make the crate a safe and pleasant place to be. Start by leaving the door open and putting toys/blankets inside to encourage the dogs to use it as a resting space. Start by leaving them alone in the crate for short periods of time, making as little fuss as possible about going in other than to leave a special treat in there with them. Put them in, leave the room for 2 min, then come back and let them out without fanfare. Increase the time. Don't put any schedule to it - you want the dogs to be comfortable with going in there whenever YOU need them to, at random times during the day. Use a catch phrase that has positive connotations (more for you, the human). "Go to your Den!" for example. Then start by leaving the house for short periods. Always, whenever you come home, let them out of the crate and out to pee WITHOUT FANFARE. Wait until they've calmed from the initial "you're home!" excitement to cuddle with them and give lots of attention.

Good luck!!! If done properly, you should see your dogs go in there on their own when they want downtime!

Also, for your dog with bowel issues, I would suggest attaching a towel to the back/sides of the crate (whichever is backed up against the wall) so you won't be scrubbing walls in case of an accident.

doberbrat
09-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm sorry you're dealing with it. for your ibs boy, you can always put some of his dry kibble in a kong, wet it slightly w/broth and freeze. That should keep him for a while.

Leaving classical music and using calming EO can also help lots - lavender, rosemary, I forget what else - just put a few drops on a towel near the kennel (but not within eating distance!)

trales
09-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Crates have what saved our lovely Newfie from becoming a rug. She does super well in the crate, it is huge and takes up a lot of space. We are all much happier, including the dog.

infomama
09-10-2013, 04:35 PM
You need to crate them. Metal crates.

for sure. you need to crate the dog to protect them from themselves sometimes.