PDA

View Full Version : Nanny staying overnight: How do you compensate?

geminimagk
09-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Our nanny (who we just hired) will occasionally have to stay overnight to be with our 3 year old son. My husband sometimes works nights, and I am occasionally on call where I could potentially get called in to the hospital. On those nights, we need someone to be at home just in case.

99.9% of the time, her job will involve only sleeping. DS rarely gets up at night and I will mostly be home as well.

How would you compensate a nanny for this? We pay her by the hour. Maybe half of her hourly rate? 75%?

happymomma
09-10-2013, 09:41 AM
I would think a set rate for the night or half the hourly rate is a good idea.

BunnyBee
09-10-2013, 11:31 AM
When my dad is on call (not a nanny, LOL), he gets half-time for the time he's on call and full pay if he actually gets "called." If it pushes him over 40 hours for the week, he gets time and a half for the working hours but still half time for the waiting hours. This is part of his employment contract.

Nannies are subject to federal overtime labor laws, so there's probably a real answer. Do you use a nanny pay service?

Edited: random google hit-- http://www.4nannytaxes.com/index.cfm/faq/nannyhousekeeper-faq-list/overtime-calculation/

geminimagk
09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
When my dad is on call (not a nanny, LOL), he gets half-time for the time he's on call and full pay if he actually gets "called." If it pushes him over 40 hours for the week, he gets time and a half for the working hours but still half time for the waiting hours. This is part of his employment contract.

Nannies are subject to federal overtime labor laws, so there's probably a real answer. Do you use a nanny pay service?

Edited: random google hit-- http://www.4nannytaxes.com/index.cfm/faq/nannyhousekeeper-faq-list/overtime-calculation/

I like that idea, thanks. Or maybe even 1.5x because it really sucks to wake up in the middle of the night to a screaming child!

We pay her cash under the table, so no, we don't use a nanny pay service.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-10-2013, 11:49 AM
i used our regular sitter to stay overnight. i think she charged a flat fee, like $50 for the night. her normal rate was $12/hr. So that seemed pretty reasonable..i guess that is half the hourly rate? my kids don't wake up at night but still it's hassle to bring all stuff over, sleep in a new place and all that.

StantonHyde
09-10-2013, 03:05 PM
When we go away on vacation and a sitter stays at our house, I pay the hourly rate for waking hours (7am-10pm) $15/hour. I pay $5 an hour for sleeping hours so $40 for the overnight. My kids are now 8 and 10 so they really don't wake up in the middle of the night.

blisstwins
09-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Those rates seem really low. I am in a HCOL area and overnights are at least $100. Sleeping in someone else's place, even if the baby is sleeping, is really inconvenient. I would err on the side of generosity if you want to keep her.

mommy111
09-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Do you intend to have this be an ongoing arrangement? If so, I would negotiate a fair rate with her that is also not too burdensome on you because it does give her an ongoing income...so maybe $40 a night? If its a one time deal, I would pay more since its more like a favor than a regular job.

sntm
09-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Would she need to stay over? Mine lives relatively close (and I get called in rarely) so I just call her to come over if needed. Could be cheaper if she gets to stay at her own home most of the time

jjjo1112
09-10-2013, 11:18 PM
I would also give a set rate- it sounds like from your post, she has to be at your house for the night? I think some of the rates quoted above seem really low. I know where I live the average for an overnight sitter is $75-100. Even though you may be home, she still has to give up her night and be available if the child wakes up and you are out. What is her hourly rate? If it's low ($10 and under), you can probably get a lower flat rate. If her regular rate is higher($15-20/hr), I would expect to pay between $75-$100.

pharmjenn
09-11-2013, 04:57 AM
Thank you for asking this question! I work nights, and get home from work around 8:15. DH sometimes has to leave for work between 4:30-6am, and school before care doesn't open until 6:30, so we end up having my mother spend the night, or take DS to his other grandmothers house, which he does not care for. Plus, then I have to go out of my way to pick him up and get him to school on time (by 8:30)
I don't have a regular sitter, and our occasional one just got married so I think I need to find someone to do a sleepover like this. Good to know how much to offer.

geminimagk
09-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Do you intend to have this be an ongoing arrangement? If so, I would negotiate a fair rate with her that is also not too burdensome on you because it does give her an ongoing income...so maybe $40 a night? If its a one time deal, I would pay more since its more like a favor than a regular job.

It will be infrequent, but it will be ongoing. Maybe once every 6 weeks or so.

Would she need to stay over? Mine lives relatively close (and I get called in rarely) so I just call her to come over if needed. Could be cheaper if she gets to stay at her own home most of the time

I think I would feel more comfortable if she stayed over, otherwise I have to waste time calling her and waiting for her to get to my house before I could leave. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I think we will discuss it with her and find out what she thinks is fair. I'm fine doing either a flat rate or paying her a lower hourly rate. Thanks everyone!