PDA

View Full Version : Update: Quick! Would you serve this egg dish that was left out overnight?

AnnieW625
09-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Update: It's been 24 hrs. and no one got sick! I actually ended up eating some more for lunch yesterday and got a bit of heart burn, but that was only because I probably put too much Pico Pica hot sauce on my second helping. Thanks again for all of the advice and yes before I read Mopey's second post I was tempted to tell everyone to eat with caution, but then I decided not to do that.

I purposely waited 24 hrs. to post an update to make sure all of my co workers made it to work this AM.

I made an egg casserole with cheese, browned sausage, eggs, and green chiles last night to take to work. I baked it for an hour at 350 between 10 and 11pm. It is is the low 60s outside and we kept our windows open. It has been out othe oven now for just 8 hours and probably not cool to the touch for 6 hrs. . Please tell me I can serve it. If I can't serve it I have to go and get bagels. Curse DH for not putting it in the fridge! :banghead:

I can't find a definite answer on the Internet.

brittone2
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I made an egg casserole with cheese, browned sausage, eggs, and green chiles last night to take to work. I baked it for an hour at 350 between 10 and 11pm. It is is the low 60s outside and we kept our windows open. It has been out othe oven now for just 8 hours and probably not cool to the touch for 6 hrs. . Please tell me I can serve it. If I can't serve it I have to go and get bagels. Curse DH for not putting it in the fridge! :banghead:

I can't find a definite answer on the Internet.
Sorry, but no way for me. I assume you mean it has probably been cool to the touch 6 hrs? I don't think it would have stayed warm for 6 of those hours out.

I have BTDT, and I know it sucks.

Mopey
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
You can absolutely serve it!!! No problem at all!

(Please trust the pastry chef who sells at least a dozen quiche a week :))

Mopey
09-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Sorry, but no way for me. I assume you mean it has probably been cool to the touch 6 hrs? I don't think it would have stayed warm for 6 of those hours out.

I have BTDT, and I know it sucks.

It is actually better that it cooled down in the air and stayed that way. She can gently (250 for about 10 minutes maybe? let it fully preheat first) warm it up and serve it. I completely promise and part of my degree is in food safety and kitchen safety - we couldn't graduate without it!

WitMom
09-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I *might* eat it myself, but I wouldn't serve it to others. I would be totally worried that I would give everyone food poisoning. But I'm super paranoid about food safety/storage temperatures/cooking time and temp, so it may just be my paranoia talking.

fauve01
09-10-2013, 10:09 AM

I have BTDT, and I know it sucks. :yeahthat:

♥ms.pacman♥
09-10-2013, 10:09 AM
i might eat it, but no way would i serve it to other people if it sat out for that long, with eggs and meat. i would be afraid of giving others food poisoning

Binkandabee
09-10-2013, 10:16 AM
I'd eat it myself, but wouldn't serve it to a group of people.

wellyes
09-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Heck no.

minnie-zb
09-10-2013, 10:29 AM
There's no way I would serve it and I work in foodservice. It's been in the danger zone way too long.

TwinFoxes
09-10-2013, 10:37 AM
It is actually better that it cooled down in the air and stayed that way. She can gently (250 for about 10 minutes maybe? let it fully preheat first) warm it up and serve it. I completely promise and part of my degree is in food safety and kitchen safety - we couldn't graduate without it!

A lot of bakeries sell quiche at room temperature. I'm with you Mopey!

hillview
09-10-2013, 10:40 AM
i wouldnt

KLD313
09-10-2013, 10:41 AM
A lot of bakeries sell quiche at room temperature. I'm with you Mopey!

Agree, I would serve it.

Philly Mom
09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
I agree with Mopey. I would do exactly as she said. She is the expert!

wencit
09-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't eat it myself, so I definitely wouldn't serve to others. However, I am totally paranoid about food safety and always border on the "better safe than sorry" camp.

YouAreTheFocus
09-10-2013, 11:30 AM
You can absolutely serve it!!! No problem at all!

(Please trust the pastry chef who sells at least a dozen quiche a week :))

I was going to say no, until I read Mopey's post. Totally true--all the bakeries here keep quiche at room temp!

AnnieW625
09-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks! It is sitting in a really cold fridge at my work right now. We have a meeting at 9 so we won't be eating until at least 10. I can reheat it in the microwave.

The ingredients included 1/2 cup of flour and a tsp. of baking powder so it is kind of like a quiche. Plus the turkey sausage was fully cooked before it was baked.

Momit
09-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Interesting, I would have said no way until I read this.

Mopey
09-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Apparently the presence of fat, salt or sugar are what mainly inhibit bacterial growth, and this has the tri-fecta! You can warm it for longer (just a lower temp is easier on the eggs) to make yourself feel better :)

Just read above - the microwave should do a good job if you can knock the power down, but the heat may be spotty since it sounds like a thick/solid scenario....?

ETA: PS - I totally think everyone should do what they're comfortable with, btw :)

indigo99
09-10-2013, 06:57 PM
I understand that this is old now, but would it have been completely weird to let everyone know the situation and let them decide? Either it is fine or it isn't, but I don't really like the fact that one person decides for everyone else.

I cooked some chicken last Friday that I thought was probably fine, but the package had been opened/leaking in the fridge so I thought it may have gone bad quicker. Rather than risk it the night before my boys' birthday party, I just kept the cooked chicken until Saturday evening, and we had it then. If you're serving it and eating it yourself then I think most ppl would eat it too anyway.

mackmama
09-10-2013, 07:30 PM
no way.

ZeeBaby
09-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Just wondering if you served it. I would have served it.

AnnieW625
09-11-2013, 01:54 PM
updated the OP.