PDA

View Full Version : K snack ideas & yogurt smoothie question?

Dream
09-10-2013, 10:52 AM
DD is in Kinder and I have to send a snack and lunch. They have the snack at 9.15 am, Kinder starts at 8 am.

This is what I have come up with so far for the 5 days, please tell me whether this is ok? She's allergic to Egg whites, Tree Nuts, Sesame & Mustered. So we're limited.

Grapes and Nachos
Cut Apples and caramel sauce in a small dipper
Crackers & Cheese
Gold fish and a pk of Rasins
Bottle of Yogurt smoothie/drink - I was thinking of a store bought yogurt smoothie like this Stoneyfield (http://www.amazon.com/Stonyfield-Farm-Organic-Strawberry-Smoothie/dp/B00CHTVJT8/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378823830&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=yogurt+smoothie+stoneyfield). Is this ok? It'll be out of the fridge for about 2 hours before she drinks it, is that ok?

Is there any other smoothie drinks that I can buy from a store? Please recommend yours if you use another kind.

Will her teacher/assistant help her open the smoothie, little dipper and pk of Goldfish?

Also the school said No chocolate or Candy. Is cup cakes considered candy or is it safe? How about Blueberry muffin?

Thank you

iaam
09-10-2013, 11:40 AM
A thought on the smoothie: we send GoGurt tubes. I freeze them and put a frozen tube in the lunch bag. By the time DS is ready to eat it for morning snack, it has thawed but is still cold (so yummy and safe). I know others do the same with Danimals.

div_0305
09-10-2013, 11:58 AM
I would not send a cupcake especially for a morning snack. I think the teachers just want it to be healthy snacks--no sugar highs/lows. You can freeze the Stonyfield or put it in an insulated lunch box with an ice pack. I'm sure the teachers would help open something, but probably prefer things the kids can open themselves to save on time.

Seitvonzu
09-10-2013, 12:09 PM
i'm no help-- our snacks have to be DRY-- they don't even really want people to send in drinks for snack time. the teacher explained that they often eat while doing something and they don't want them to spill. there is a water fountain in the room the kids can use anytime...so she prefers that. that said- you are a good mom- your snacks sound awesome to me! ;)

candaceb
09-10-2013, 01:20 PM
To solve 2 problems at once, you could make the smoothies and send them in a funtainer. I use 1 chobani champions tube and about an equal amount of milk and stir it up. The funtainer will keep it cold and your dd should be able to open it herself.

Dream
09-10-2013, 01:25 PM
To solve 2 problems at once, you could make the smoothies and send them in a funtainer. I use 1 chobani champions tube and about an equal amount of milk and stir it up. The funtainer will keep it cold and your dd should be able to open it herself.

That's a good idea, I'm going to do this. Thank you.

Clarity
09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
We pack fresh fruit, almost always. A small take n toss bowl/lid or gladlock container (http://www.glad.com/food-storage/containers/lockware-extra-small/) with cantelope, watermelon, straw-blue-raspberries, grapes, oranges, a banana, sliced apples, kiwi, etc. It's super easy, healthy, and the perfect size. If I vary from fruit, it's for a frozen tube of yogurt (what happened to stoneyfield yogurt tubes...I can't find them anymore?) or a cheese stick or cubes. On rare occasions she got a granola bar or maybe a clif bar. It's just cheaper, easier and healthier to do fruit.

MSWR0319
09-10-2013, 01:29 PM
If I'm sending something in for DS that requires opening, I open it enough that DS can get it the rest of the way and then put it in a reusable snack bag. So for the pack of goldfish, I'd open it a tiny bit, then roll the top closed so it doesn't get too much air and then place it in the reusable bag. Of course you could always just put the goldfish in the bag too.

Dream
09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
I would not send a cupcake especially for a morning snack. I think the teachers just want it to be healthy snacks--no sugar highs/lows.

Yeah, I guess. I really feel sad that DD won't be able to eat anything at birthday celebrations, even though she can eat cake. She wouldn't understand why she can eat cake/cupcakes elsewhere and at her PreK but not in the current school. I was hoping I'll be allowed to send a cupcake here and there as a snack or as part of her lunch to compensate.

div_0305
09-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I guess. I really feel sad that DD won't be able to eat anything at birthday celebrations, even though she can eat cake. She wouldn't understand why she can eat cake/cupcakes elsewhere and at her PreK but not in the current school. I was hoping I'll be allowed to send a cupcake here and there as a snack or as part of her lunch to compensate.

You could do this as a surprise afterschool snack!

KrisM
09-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Are you sure the other kids are eating cake for birthdays? None of my kids have treats for birthdays in their rooms. kids can bring a trinket and that's about it.

BunnyBee
09-10-2013, 03:04 PM

The teacher should be willing to keep packaged, safe treats for your DD to eat on such occasions. Or if the birthdays are planned in advance, you can send in a frozen, safe cupcake from home that day. I'd talk to the teacher about the school/her allergy policies.

Dream
09-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Yes, store bought treats/cupcakes are allowed for celebrations. They prefer if the ingredients are labeled but if not its still ok as long as its store bought.

petesgirl
09-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Yes, store bought treats/cupcakes are allowed for celebrations. They prefer if the ingredients are labeled but if not its still ok as long as its store bought.

Well they should allow you to send in a safe cupcake for her on these occasions. That's only fair.