PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought the 2014 Honda Odyssey with the vacuum?

Cam&Clay
09-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I am going to need to buy a van in the next few weeks. My wonderful Hyundai Entourage is on its last legs. I am definitely getting a 2014 Odyssey, but wondered about that vacuum. It sounds heavenly, especially since DS1 plays travel soccer so my car is always full of "turf balls."

Does the vacuum really work well? Is it worth the extra $$$$?

codex57
09-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Honestly, I see it as a bonus. But, everyone values everything differently.

The big jump is whether to go from the EX-L w/ nav or RES to Touring. Once you make that leap, the car's so expensive, what's another couple grand to go to the Touring Elite? For us, the TE stuff is half want/half safety. The blind spot monitoring is surprisingly helpful. Especially on such a big car. Where we are (and possibly where you are), the HID headlights make a HUGE difference in the areas without street lights. Visibility is seriously improved. I didn't care all that much about the sound system or bigger screen. The HDMI I can see being useful as my kids get older though. Already, I can hook an iPad up to it.

I'd drag it out as long as you can though. I think they're at 3.9% on the 2014's. As the 2014s get older, it's easier to get a deal. And the interest you save will make the hit going to the Touring Elite easier on the wallet.

brittone2
09-10-2013, 11:10 AM
DH talked to someone at the dealer while I was getting the AC fixed on my Ody a few months ago. He said it is only one model that is going to have it for now...I think the Touring? Not certain on that.

scrooks
09-10-2013, 11:16 AM
I was wondering the same thing! Dh has wanted to upgrade to the newer model... Ours is a 2010. I'm not sure I could convince him to go for the touring elite though.... It's way more expensive than our EX-L with RES was.

Cam&Clay
09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
I want navigation and RES so I will at least be getting the Touring. I was just not sure if it would be worth it for the jump to Elite, which is the only one with the vacuum!

Considering I recently hit someone in my blind spot, the blind spot detector sounds really interesting!

larig
09-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't have an Odyssey (bought a T&C because a couple of months ago because we HAD to have stow & go), but we paid extra to get the chrysler safety package that had the blind spot detector & parking assistant and it is SOOOOO worth it. Get that feature, no matter what you do about the vacuum.

secchick
09-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Here's my issue with the vacuum. In theory, it sounds great. But isn't it in the back of the cargo area (I think that's what I saw when it came out)? That is not that helpful to me because I need it on the floor in the second and third rows where dirt gets tracked and dropped, and it is easier for me to bring my dyson out to the garage so I can easily get everywhere I need. I have maybe once vacuumed out the cargo area. I have a cargo liner and it is easier to take it out and shake it off. My biggest issue is that the stuff that gets sucked up has to go somewhere in the car, and the last thing I need is another thing to clean out, check the filter, have break, etc. But I have a 2011 Touring and no plans to upgrade for many more years.

codex57
09-10-2013, 12:25 PM
I want navigation and RES so I will at least be getting the Touring. I was just not sure if it would be worth it for the jump to Elite, which is the only one with the vacuum!

Considering I recently hit someone in my blind spot, the blind spot detector sounds really interesting!

Honestly, when we bought the car, the blind spot was an afterthought. I don't even think it was in my mind as one of teh features of the Touring Elite.

Now, I'd say it's probably the best feature when you move up to the Touring Elite. It's as life changing as when those rear view cameras were when they came out. It's really helpful in teaching you just where the end of your car is in relation to the view in the mirrors. Helps in parallel parking too, not just while on the road.

I guess it's possible that the convenience of a vacuum could reach that level. It is something where people are like, "why didn't anyone think of this before?" It's simple, and available on the lower models, but when you show off the trash bag ring, that seems to go over like hot cakes with the general public too.

codex57
09-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Here's my issue with the vacuum. In theory, it sounds great. But isn't it in the back of the cargo area (I think that's what I saw when it came out)? That is not that helpful to me because I need it on the floor in the second and third rows where dirt gets tracked and dropped, and it is easier for me to bring my dyson out to the garage so I can easily get everywhere I need. I have maybe once vacuumed out the cargo area. I have a cargo liner and it is easier to take it out and shake it off. My biggest issue is that the stuff that gets sucked up has to go somewhere in the car, and the last thing I need is another thing to clean out, check the filter, have break, etc. But I have a 2011 Touring and no plans to upgrade for many more years.

It has a hose that goes the length of the car. It's touted as being able to reach even the driver and front passenger areas. Why do you need the base of it in the passenger area? Your Dyson can break. Your navigation can break. If you get features, it can break. But, Honda is generally really reliable and it's more of a convenience thing so you don't have to drag your Dyson out. Especially if you're not at home and something spills in the passenger area.

secchick
09-10-2013, 12:42 PM
It has a hose that goes the length of the car. It's touted as being able to reach even the driver and front passenger areas. Why do you need the base of it in the passenger area? Your Dyson can break. Your navigation can break. If you get features, it can break. But, Honda is generally really reliable and it's more of a convenience thing so you don't have to drag your Dyson out. Especially if you're not at home and something spills in the passenger area.

No biggie, but I don't need another filter to clean. I don't think that it would be easier for for me to move that hose from the trunk over the seats and then maneuver it around to where I needed it. Strecthing a hose from the back to the front seat and squeezing myself to do it in between car seats is not a selling point to me, as then I presume I also have to wind up the hose to store it properly. All of the pictures show it being used with ease on spilled fruit loops or whatever in the cargo area or with all of the seats already folded down (for some reason I never need to vacuuum the back of my seats). I just think there is probably a reason I haven't seen anything from Honda where someone is using it in the front seat when all the back is filled with car seats. I don't put my vacuum in the car, but opening the door and cleaning the area right there with the hose seems a lot easier to me.

bcafe
09-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I keep a dustbuster in my Ody. Works perfectly and is very maneuverable.

AnnieW625
09-10-2013, 01:11 PM
I keep a dustbuster in my Ody. Works perfectly and is very maneuverable.

I wouldn't pay a premium for a vacuum either. DH wouldn't be happy if the interior wasn't cleaned up with an industrial shop vac anyway (he is just that kind of guy!).

BunnyBee
09-10-2013, 01:20 PM
DH wants to trade our Touring Elite in for that one because of the vacuum. The blind spot thingie is awesome. It's kept me from smacking a couple of idiots on the highway who've popped over at the last minute.

Edited: Not sure why he's so excited about the vacuum. It's not like we spend hours cleaning our cars and get frustrated by regular vacuums. I'd be more excited if it vacuumed itself. ;)

codex57
09-10-2013, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't pay a premium for a vacuum either. DH wouldn't be happy if the interior wasn't cleaned up with an industrial shop vac anyway (he is just that kind of guy!).

The vacuum is made by Shop-Vac.

http://www.dyson.com/vacuums/handhelds/dc34/dc34.aspx

I currently have a Dyson hand held like the one I linked. That works ok, but it's limited by the battery. I could just drag out my big Dyson, but that's honestly as much hassle as bringing it out from the trunk of the van. Plus, when I'm out, I don't have that option. Depends how anal you are I guess. And if you have seats installed in the 3rd row or not. Cuz if you don't, it's not exactly a hardship to flip the seats down to make it easier to get access to the vacuum.

stinkyfeet
09-10-2013, 01:42 PM
I have the blind spot thingie on my TE and love it. I still look when I change lanes, but I have somewhat limited neck mobility due to a bad back, and it gives me confidence having that light blink if someone's there. This was THE big feature that pushed me to the TE.

We don't use the DVD player in dual screen mode.

I like having the parking sensors (I think these are on touring models too) because the van is pretty long.

I like the HID lights. I would have got aftermarket HID's if my model didn't come with it.

I can't tell any difference in the upgraded sound system.

I wish the TE came in AWD.
I have an earlier model, so I don't have a vacuum. I would have found it helpful at our beach vacation, but other than that, we would probably prefer using our Shop Vac that we keep in our garage to vacuum the car--DH does this about every two weeks.

123LuckyMom
09-10-2013, 04:44 PM
We bought in 2012 and chose the EX, not the Touring or Touring Elite. I don't like leather seats, so we chose the highest model where we didn't have to have leather! We are drive-the-car-into-the-ground type of people, but DH wants me to upgrade for the vacuum! It seems so unlike him, but we're actually considering it. I could live with the leather, and the other features would be nice to have. I was wondering about the quality of the vacuum, too, so thanks for asking!

mom2khj
09-11-2013, 08:12 AM
We have a '12 TE. I love the blind spot lights. I'm not used to driving such a large vehicle and have a long commute on freeways. It is awesome! We already knew we were getting the Touring and at that point, like someone above mentioned, when you're spending that much it isn't much more to go to the Elite.

I wouldn't get that model for the vacuum specifically, but if there were other features that I wanted and the vacuum just happened to come also I wouldn't complain, LOL.