PDA

View Full Version : More lunch talk: "FAST" foods?

bisous
09-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Both DS1 and DS2 hardly eat at school. I can attribute DS1's lack of appetite to his ADHD medication. DS2 is a bird eater anyway and he's TINY skinny. I'm not really concerned about either but I think they'd feel better if they ate a little more. The issue with both kids is that they'd much rather play than eat. I'm seeking to find filling, nutritional food that they can eat FAST. Much of their lunch comes home uneaten, even when they like it and even when they help me pick it out! They've both expressed that they want to eat ONE thing at lunch and maybe nothing at recess. Any suggestions appreciated as DS1 and DS2 have very different tastes in food.

TIA!

Kindra178
09-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Ds1 loves Trader joe's organic frozen pizza for lunch. I heat in the am and put 2-3 pieces in his planetbox. It is the only main course that gets eaten.

anonomom
09-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Will they eat dumplings? I send Trader Joe's chicken potstickers in a funtainer for DD occasionally. They take 2 minutes to boil up in the morning. One serving covers veg, protein and carbs. My girls like them as long as I don't send them more than once a week.

BabbyO
09-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I was thinking that a slice of quiche or fritata. Maybe a piece of pot pie....where you can get protein, veggies, and carb all in one serving?

hillview
09-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Larabars? Nuts? Avocado? Pasta in a hot container (ravaoli, sauce and cheese)?

trales
09-10-2013, 01:50 PM
School lunch sucks, nothing gets eaten, she comes home super hungry and does not want to finish off her lunch box b/c that was for lunch and is old, I want a snack. I leave the lunch box open on the table and we have a power struggle cry fest for 2 hours until dinner.

No advice, I would love some also, I just wanted you to know that you are NOT alone.

bisous
09-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions. Nurse just called me to say DS1 won't eat anything in his lunch. (He has type 1 diabetes too so his blood sugar is checked in the office.) HE packed it this morning! I'm going to try some of the hot food suggestions listed here. My kids love pasta at home and DS2 loves pizza. DS1 won't eat any bars of any kind. DS2 likes them but has been passing them by in his lunch!

Anyway, I appreciate the ideas AND the commiseration!

schrocat
09-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Honestly I think it depends on the individual child and what he likes to eat. My kids always finish noodles, chicken, beef, pork and vegetables in their thermos because they like to eat them. I send a giant slice of pizza with DS1 and it mostly gets finished but he usually never touches his applesauce unless he's really hungry. Sweet cut fruits like watermelon and pineapple always get finished. Apple slices are usually left behind. DS1 says it takes too long for him to eat an apple.