PDA

View Full Version : What kind of vehicle meets all of these criteria?

Binkandabee
09-10-2013, 06:25 PM
DH needs to replace his work truck (its a 1994 Ram with loads of miles and needs major repairs). He also recently mentioned to me that our 2008 Quest (also used for business, but not strictly so) is also getting ready for some spendy repairs. We've thought about selling them both and getting one vehicle, but can't come up with anything. Maybe you all have an idea that we haven't thought of? I'd love to be down a vehicle!

These are the requirements:

Has to be able to haul large boxes (think boxes big enough to hold 12-18 shoe boxes)
Needs to get respectable mileage (his current truck gets 9 mpg which is ridiculous)..possibly a diesel would be better?
Needs to be comfortable for travelling (we road trip a LOT...sometimes with 4 adults and two kids..so 3 rows woul be awesome, but not a deal breaker)
4x4 that can be switched off an on would be GREAT, but AWD isn't out of the question. We would use it so little (January and February only and then not always then) the mileage drop really wouldn't be worth it I don't think. But, when we need awd, we really need it.

Any ideas?

We always have the option of selling both and replacing both, but I'd rather not do that if there is a viable option all in one!

codex57
09-10-2013, 06:50 PM
What's your budget?

What are the dimensions of the boxes and how many of them do you need to carry?

Cuz honestly, it sounds like any large SUVs would work if you don't need to carry a lot of people. Just fold down the 3rd rows. I'm thinking the Suburban is prolly your best bet though cuz most of the other big SUVs have almost no cargo room with the 3rd row up.

What kinda terrain are we talking about here? Icy roads, or are you in deep muck or something?

kep
09-10-2013, 06:50 PM
There are very few 4 wheel drive vehicles with third rows that have good cargo space. The Suburban and the Taboe XL come to mind. We love our Sequoia, but I'm not sure how large boxes would fit in the back with the third row up. Are you needing the third row up while moving the boxes?

larig
09-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Toyota AWD Sienna?

BabyBearsMom
09-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Toyota AWD Sienna?

Agree. Also maybe a larger SUV. The Hyundai Veracruz is nice

flashy09
09-10-2013, 08:09 PM
My DH has a Toyota 4runner. It's a truck like SUV with a lot of backseat space and cargo area. It's very responsive to drive and can tow quite a bit as well.

elliput
09-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Maybe a Ford Expedition (http://www.ford.com/suvs/expedition/models/) EL (extended length).