PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sad about preschool

twotimesblue
09-11-2013, 01:05 AM
My DS1 starts preschool tomorrow, and I'm so sad about it. He is 3.5 and very sensitive/shy, so I'm expecting a difficult transition (he takes a long time to warm up to new environments, and he's already showing strong signs of anxiety following the teachers' visit to our home yesterday).

I don't know why it's affecting me like this - it's only for 3-and-a-half hours a day, it's a lovely school, and I know it will ultimately be good for him. Still, I can't help feeling sad and wistful that my baby will now be in school every day for the rest of his childhood. It really feels like the end of an era. Am I crazy to feel this way?

babyonway
09-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Ahhh it is total understandable how you are feeling. My DD started preschool every day about 4 weeks ago :crying:

the first few days (maybe even first week) will be harder (harder for you then him) but he will thrive!

JBaxter
09-11-2013, 07:10 AM
It's very understandable. I remember when my first went. I sat in the car and cried after he waved good bye to me at the door. Just be positive YOU smile a lot don't let him see you the least bit upset don't hang around just do a hand off kiss him hand exit quickly. I've found after 4 that hanging around trying to help them settle in seems to make it worse. Good luck.

Pennylane
09-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Totally understandable! Just make sure you keep on a brave face.

Hope all goes well.

Ann

123LuckyMom
09-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Totally understandable! Just make sure you keep on a brave face.

Hope all goes well.

Ann

Yes, and leave quickly, especially if he's upset. The longer you linger, the harder it will be for him. Don't worry, Mama! Five minutes after you leave he'll be having fun. You, however, may still be weeping! Hugs!