PDA

View Full Version : Kelty or carrier advice for toddler? My 2 yo wants to be carried ALL the time.

magnoliaparadise
09-11-2013, 04:35 AM
Hi,

Would love your advice. I live in a walking city. My almost 2 yo wants to be carried ALL the time and hates sitting in her stroller (and I've tried many) and sometimes she doesn't want to walk.

I am looking for a carrier to put my DD in. I need it to be relatively easy to use (as I'll be using it alone without help) and easy to transport (as I walk everywhere and don't have a car in my city).

Would you suggest the Kelty? (And if so, which one?) Or any other back pack or carrier?

I used to carry DD in the Ergo, but it must be too tight on her now because she refuses that, too.
I know I can put the Ergo on my back, but honestly, I find it hard to put it on my back and get her in - she doesn't know what to do and I can't do it by myself. And again, she has been complaining so I think it's too tight anyway.

DD is very light - only about 22 lbs - but that still feels heavy over time when I'm carrying her with one arm!

Please let me know if anyone has any good carrier suggestions.

TIA

HipMama
09-11-2013, 08:01 AM
I'd look at a toddler Tula or a Kinderpack. Not the Kelty.

lizzywednesday
09-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Honestly, I think that you should learn a back-carry in your Ergo or you won't be able to use anything else by yourself.

I use a Toddler KinderPack for my 36-lb 3-year-old because the back is higher than the Ergo so it doesn't hurt me when she leans away from me. It's great now that she knows what to do (hold onto mama's shoulders) while getting her up into the rig, but it took us about 1.5 years to get to this point.

YouTube has some good videos that show getting a child onto your back in a soft-structured carrier while you're alone, though you should probably practice a few times over a bed or with a spotter before trying to do it out-and-about.

A babywearing group, if there's one near you, would also be helpful in learning a back-carry or test-running other carriers.

queenmama
09-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Excellent advice from Lizzy.

Our Ergo didn't last us past 12 months because the panel was... well, not low, because I've heard of people using it for 2-3 years... but my girl is tallish and a leaner and it was sooo uncomfortable!

We ended up with a toddler Tula and we love it. She's somewhere past 27 lbs and 31" and has loads of room, and she prefers riding "arms in" as opposed to being cramped and wanting her arms out of the Ergo.

I always do the "hip scoot" method when using a back carry out of the house. At home I've learned to do the "Superman" with the carrier already on her arms, if that makes sense.

Watch tons of videos and you'll get it!

Lara

Smillow
09-11-2013, 09:40 AM
I carried my 95+% DS until he was 2.5. We used an Ergo until he was 2-ish & then switched to a Patapum Toddler (very, very similar to the Ergo, but with a much higher back). He was well over 30# the last time I carried him on a 2 mile hike (mostly vertical) in SNP and my back was fine (the heat build up was another thing!). Until he was 2 I carried him in the Ergo in the grocery store Every. Single. Time. I was late to using the back carry, but as long as I had the straps adjusted so I was carrying his weight on my hips, it was very comfortable. The strap adjustment is key!

Jacksmommy2b
09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Another vote for the toddler kinderpack! They aren't cheap but the resale value is awesome and no matter how many carriers I try, I always come back to KPs!

There is a learning curve to back carries. The first suggestion I would have is to get help putting her on your back and then adjust all the buckles until you are both very comfortable. This can be a bit tricky and overwhelming the first time. If you live in a big city you should have no problem finding a BW group to help you out. We have a small group, but even if there are no meetings someone is always willing to meet a mom at a park or library to give her a hand!

Once you are adjusted perfectly, don't undo the buckles! Now you can practice getting her on your back in front of a couch or bed and you just have to pull on the straps instead of having to fight them to buckle her in. I always use the 'superman method' and having been doing it long enough that I can flip one of them on my back anywhere without thinking about it. You tube videos are a great place to start!

Your local BW group should have at least one KP among the members that you could try before buying. I would be surprised if they didn't have a tula also!

Good luck!

tropicalmom
09-11-2013, 10:53 AM
As far as getting her in the carrier alone, at this age I did it like the first one in this video: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcgC QUTpA4xg&ei=moAwUsOYMo762AWOw4DgCg&usg=AFQjCNEH3OoIKY2GhwL7oq7zk8hL70RYQA&sig2=M8kYPc7uwXRA-E1hh2mKEg&bvm=bv.51773540,d.b2I

She calls it a superman but other people seem to call the superman when you put DC and carrier on at the same time so not sure of proper term. Super easy.

I used a Patapum Toddler as well as Mei Tais at this age since DD was quite small.

kep
09-11-2013, 01:04 PM
We love our Kimderpack too. It has great back and leg support for growing toddlers/preschoolers. I bought mine new, but they pop up on TBW pretty frequently. Mine has a hood too. Stand next to or over your bed, and practice practice practice. Your DD will figure out how to position herself while you are tossing her back and pulling up the carrier. 2 year olds can help. :)