PDA

View Full Version : What do you have under your swing set?

MSWR0319
09-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Our new swing set just came in and before we start putting it together, we're trying to figure out what we want to put under it. We were thinking about making the area big enough so we can put the sandbox and picnic table in it also. DH was going to get composite boards to put around the area and then fill it with something, but it's looking like a big investment. Any input? Ideas? Way to save some money on this? We didn't have anything under our old swing set but it was a tiny plastic one that wasn't high at all.

Indianamom2
09-11-2013, 09:38 AM
We just have grass. Ours isn't a super high set though.

amom526
09-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Our new swing set just came in and before we start putting it together, we're trying to figure out what we want to put under it. We were thinking about making the area big enough so we can put the sandbox and picnic table in it also. DH was going to get composite boards to put around the area and then fill it with something, but it's looking like a big investment. Any input? Ideas? Way to save some money on this? We didn't have anything under our old swing set but it was a tiny plastic one that wasn't high at all.

We just have grass and ours is a larger size swingset.

JBaxter
09-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Grass. Thats all I've ever had

arivecchi
09-11-2013, 10:42 AM
just grass

georgiegirl
09-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Just grass here too

Melaine
09-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Grass here. I think it's fine that way.

jgenie
09-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Another just grass here.

Momit
09-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Our friends installed astro-turf like stuff (green indoor/outdoor carpet) under theirs because they didn't want to deal with mowing and weedwhacking around it. Not sure how they installed it but they have been really happy with it.

BabyBearsMom
09-11-2013, 12:26 PM
A lot of the manufacturers recommend that you use rubber mulch. That is what I have seen in our area but I believe it is $$.

AngelaS
09-11-2013, 12:38 PM
We have a big CedarWorks set and it has about five to six inches of pea gravel in it, bordered with landscaping bricks.

khalloc
09-11-2013, 01:23 PM
We just have grass too. Ours is a medium size Costco one. I think we paid like $900 about 5 years ago for it. Some might think its large, but I've seen bigger ones at Costco for sure.

lil_acorn
09-11-2013, 01:26 PM
more grass here

MSWR0319
09-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Our friends installed astro-turf like stuff (green indoor/outdoor carpet) under theirs because they didn't want to deal with mowing and weedwhacking around it. Not sure how they installed it but they have been really happy with it.

Would it be possible for you to find out exactly what product they installed? This is exactly one of the reasons DH wants something under there. He is horrible about weed-whacking and I can guarantee the weeds will grow and then I'll complain and he'll get tired of listening to it. Plus he's really worried about the kids falling which usually I'm the one that's concerned about safety. We got a set from Costco with a two story playhouse and I think he's worried DS might fall out or something.

hellokitty
09-11-2013, 02:25 PM
We built up a level area (our yard slopes and is wet most of the yr) and filled in a boxed area for our play area with pea gravel. I love it, since it drains quickly and doesn't stay wet and it's not gross like mulch.

nfceagles
09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
We built up a level area (our yard slopes and is wet most of the yr) and filled in a boxed area for our play area with pea gravel. I love it, since it drains quickly and doesn't stay wet and it's not gross like mulch.

Same thing here. We've been happy with the pea gravel. It almost becomes it's own play surface. The kids like to fill up dump drucks with it or fill up cups and pretend they're a restaurant making smoothies.

Momit
09-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Would it be possible for you to find out exactly what product they installed? This is exactly one of the reasons DH wants something under there. He is horrible about weed-whacking and I can guarantee the weeds will grow and then I'll complain and he'll get tired of listening to it. Plus he's really worried about the kids falling which usually I'm the one that's concerned about safety. We got a set from Costco with a two story playhouse and I think he's worried DS might fall out or something.

Sure. I can ask. For them it was definitely a maintenance rather than a safety issue. Not sure it's any softer than grass and it might actually be harder.

I have seen playgrounds with a cushiony surface made from recycled tires but never at people's houses.

Philly Mom
09-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Grass here too.

Momit
09-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Sure. I can ask. For them it was definitely a maintenance rather than a safety issue. Not sure it's any softer than grass and it might actually be harder.

I have seen playgrounds with a cushiony surface made from recycled tires but never at people's houses.

Update - they killed the grass and laid the carpet over it. It's staked along the edges.

MSWR0319
09-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Update - they killed the grass and laid the carpet over it. It's staked along the edges.

Thanks! I know we'll at least do this inside the first level of the playhouse.

marinkitty
09-13-2013, 03:53 PM
We have wood chips. It was just what was there when we moved in and we have replaced it a couple of times in the past five years as it decomposes. The area is about 3-4 inches lower than the yard surrounding it, so the wood chips are about that deep. We don't have any sort of border.

HannaAddict
09-13-2013, 05:11 PM

We have whatever the top of the line dream turf is and paid significantly more for the under swing set appropriately rated pad under the turf. It is great, looks great, feels nice not like old style plastic astoturf and doesn't become a mud bowl since it is wet here in the fall and winter. And the pad is great. But it was very expensive and the brand has to be professionally installed. We have friends with it who have loved it so took the plunge and love it and kids do too.

ETA Aesthetics were also an issue, and didn't want chips or gravel to track into the house as we are in city without a huge yard. If the yard was huge and set far away, we would have been more open to pea gravel. They want to fill up their dump trucks etc. with it on the other side of the yard as we have it around AC units behind a wall. Endless fun.

Rainbows&Roses
09-13-2013, 05:55 PM
pea gravel - love it. Never gets muddy. My kids like playing with the pea gravel more than the swingset sometimes. If I let them, they will walk around barefoot on it since all the edges are rounded on the gravel. We also use big rubber mats we got from wal-mart on-line for under the swings and anywhere there is a big fall hazard.

smilequeen
09-14-2013, 11:54 AM
We had rubber mulch at our old house and wood mulch at this one. I prefer the rubber. We have to have the wood replenished every spring and in the long run its more expensive and doesn't look as nice.

mikala
09-14-2013, 02:20 PM
We currently have grass but are considering wood mulch or pea gravel. Several local playgrounds have black rubber mulch and I hate it. The baby's hands and legs are always covered in black dust afterwards and it doesn't wash off easily. I don't even want to think of the possible health implications.

MSWR0319
09-14-2013, 05:21 PM
We currently have grass but are considering wood mulch or pea gravel. Several local playgrounds have black rubber mulch and I hate it. The baby's hands and legs are always covered in black dust afterwards and it doesn't wash off easily. I don't even want to think of the possible health implications.

Good point! I was thinking we'd get the rubber mulch because there is a local place that makes it, but I'm not so sure I want kids covered in black dust all the time. I really wanted pea gravel but DH won't go for that because he says they'll get thrown in the grass and then be shot into our siding when we mow the lawn (which is also a valid point). I don't want mulch because it gets all yucky when it's wet and you have to replace it regularly. Looks like we may be doing grass and astroturf just in the areas that are hard to mow.

essnce629
09-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Just grass over here too!