PDA

View Full Version : Lice in class! what to do?

Melaine
09-11-2013, 12:09 PM
We are supposed to check for lice because there has been a case of lice at school. I'm not sure what class but it is a small school so all the kids are in close proximity. My girls have thick curly (think afro-ish) hair and I'm worried about dealing with lice if it came to it. Also they will FREAK out. We had a complete melt down last time I did a tick-check (they are anxiety prone).

Is there anything we can do preventatively and what exactly do I look for when I check them? Also, what is the comb everyone recommends because I think I just want to order to have just in case. Is it the terminator? TIA!

crayonblue
09-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Put their hair in tight buns/braids and pray like crazy!!!!! Also make sure the kids aren't sharing headphones in class. Yes, the comb is the terminator.

BabyBearsMom
09-11-2013, 12:24 PM
I think someone here recommended using tea tree oil?

This is why I always DD1 to have her hair up in tight braids/buns at school. Yuck!

Melaine
09-11-2013, 12:28 PM
We usually have the girls' hair up in a bun or at the very least a pony tail because their hair is nuts. I'm ordering the comb. I will get some tea tree oil, I did read about that. This totally freaks me out!

ETA: No headphones in class so that's a good thing.

twowhat?
09-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Second the tight buns/braids and they are probably old enough to tell them to avoid hugging their friends or putting heads together. Head-to-head contact is the main way to transmit lice. They are transmitted by combs, headphones, towels, etc a lot less commonly than you'd think. The little buggers hang on tight and need to be on a scalp and aren't easily persuaded to leave it unless that scalp is touching another scalp:)

Tondi G
09-11-2013, 12:57 PM
You could buy some prevention oil stuff like this. http://www.hairfairies.com/products/nit-zapping-clenz-lice-prevention-oil.htm
If you do tea tree oil, just put a few drops in their bottle of shampoo and conditioner.