PDA

View Full Version : Would you expect a landlord to fix this plumbing issue?

YouAreTheFocus
09-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Ever since we moved in, I have noticed this slightly off smell coming from somewhere around the dishwasher after we run it. DH can't smell it at all. I thought maybe there was a leak underneath, but we pulled it out a bit and it looks ok. So I started googling, and found that it's fairly common for the hoses to be arranged incorrectly, which can result in a yucky smell after running the dishwasher. It has something to do with the garbage disposal hose/sink drain hose/air gap arrangement.

Do you think this is something I should contact the mgmt company about? Would you say this is a need or a want? The dishes themselves come out squeaky clean, and somehow have no odor whatsoever.

brittone2
09-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Ever since we moved in, I have noticed this slightly off smell coming from somewhere around the dishwasher after we run it. DH can't smell it at all. I thought maybe there was a leak underneath, but we pulled it out a bit and it looks ok. So I started googling, and found that it's fairly common for the hoses to be arranged incorrectly, which can result in a yucky smell after running the dishwasher. It has something to do with the garbage disposal hose/sink drain hose/air gap arrangement.

Do you think this is something I should contact the mgmt company about? Would you say this is a need or a want? The dishes themselves come out squeaky clean, and somehow have no odor whatsoever.

If you look at the LL-tenant laws for your state, it may give you some idea. I'd let them know that the smell is unsanitary or whatever, and see what they do. Unfortunately, I'm not sure you can obligate them to repair. When we rented for a few months in between houses, we didn't have a working outlet in any bathroom, LL would not fix, and based on LL tenant laws in my state, LL did not have to repair. I was blow drying my hair in the hallway until my dad and DH fixed it. Worse than college, but with pricey rent!

vonfirmath
09-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Note: we complained about a dishwasher at one place we rented that was not fully draining after it ran. At first the Landlord wouldn't do anything. When they did do something, they removed the dishwasher and put up a piece of board over the opening.

YouAreTheFocus
09-11-2013, 04:08 PM
If you look at the LL-tenant laws for your state, it may give you some idea. I'd let them know that the smell is unsanitary or whatever, and see what they do. Unfortunately, I'm not sure you can obligate them to repair. When we rented for a few months in between houses, we didn't have a working outlet in any bathroom, LL would not fix, and based on LL tenant laws in my state, LL did not have to repair. I was blow drying my hair in the hallway until my dad and DH fixed it. Worse than college, but with pricey rent!

Hmm, good to know. It's not like there's a requirement to have a dishwasher (or a working outlet in the bath, apparently!), so I guess no obligation for them to fix it (and especially since it's not truly broken--it runs fine).

Note: we complained about a dishwasher at one place we rented that was not fully draining after it ran. At first the Landlord wouldn't do anything. When they did do something, they removed the dishwasher and put up a piece of board over the opening.

OMG! Well I certainly don't want that outcome. Perhaps best to keep quiet and/or have someone come look at it ourselves. Although I'd worry about hiring someone w/o the mgmt's consent...

brittone2
09-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Any chance it has a drain that needs cleaned?

Momit
09-11-2013, 04:38 PM
In some areas it's code that the dishwasher drain is not run through the garbage disposal (not sure if I'm phrasing it exactly right, but I know it was an issue in a house we looked at recently). Perhaps if it's a code violation you would have more luck getting it repaired? Or fix it yourself under the radar?

rin
09-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Do check your LL-tenant laws; we have several rental properties, and in our state if the premises include a functioning appliance at the time of lease-signing, it's the LL's responsibility to maintain that appliance in working condition for the duration of the lease. For example, even though there's no obligation to have an air conditioning unit in a rental, if we have one on-site when the tenant takes possession if it breaks we have to pay to maintain it.

HannaAddict
09-11-2013, 05:16 PM
If your husband can't smell it, I think the chances of a so-so landlord repairing it are slim. I wouldn't go "code violation" on them for this either - karma and all that. If it really bothers you, maybe say there is a smell you notice and could they look into it. If they have a handyman they use, he can check it out. I kind of think some small stuff is just the price you pay for being a renter and things won't be pristine or perfect but good enough (obviously not safety issues). Hope they will check it out for you.

Octobermommy
09-11-2013, 06:44 PM
I don't think they will fix that. Sorry! I am super sensitive to smells so I know it would bother me. Any chance you have someone handy in the family that can see if it is hooked up correctly?

YouAreTheFocus
09-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Any chance it has a drain that needs cleaned?

Anything is possible! I know nothing about sinks/dishwashers/plumbing. Is this something I would check in the actual dishwasher, or in a pipe/hose?

Reader
09-12-2013, 07:19 PM
In some areas it's code that the dishwasher drain is not run through the garbage disposal (not sure if I'm phrasing it exactly right, but I know it was an issue in a house we looked at recently). Perhaps if it's a code violation you would have more luck getting it repaired? Or fix it yourself under the radar?

This is a code violation in California if you happen to be there.