PDA

View Full Version : I am going mental in my house by myself! Help!

elektra
09-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I think I may be going a tiny bit crazy. Like my mind is literally not quite right today!
I think I am just not dealing well with all the changes this past week with school starting. DS and DD have have some good days but also bad days these past few weeks adjusting. DD was especially upset about going to school today and it was upsetting to me too. It is also the first time in 6 years where I have worked from home without the kids around. It was actually getting to the point where it was really interfering with my work, and I was so distracted, the kids were constantly barging in or banging on my door, and it was not quality time with them. I was really looking forward to not having the interruptions. But for the past week and I have gotten way less done than I should have.
It is weird having my whole day "open" and with absolutely nobody to talk to. It's like I am in solitary confinement!
Even my dogs are wigging out. They are barking at any little noise- it's like they don't understand why the nannies are not showing up.

I think I need to set some limits on FB and the BBB because it's like I can't tear myself away now.
I am also working out every day now.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?
Some things I may want to try even though they are also not exactly ideal either:
Finding a shared workspace outside of my home (not sure my company will pay for this though)
Going to work at Panera/Starbucks for a few hours a day.
Seeing a therapist!
Relaxing and giving myself a break and just forcing myself to get more work done (somehow).

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I can only kind of relate- I am a SAHM but my kiddos are both in school full time. Last week I went for coffee just so I could talk to someone (the cashier!). I do better if I have a plan, schedule, or get out of the house somehow. It's been 3 weeks and I have had days that were just really out of sorts and super duper lonely. We will both get our groove, I'm sure. :)

lizzywednesday
09-11-2013, 04:02 PM
I hate having a house that's too quiet.

I know you're not supposed to have the TV or radio on while you're working but, I have to admit that I do. Without the dull noise, I find it's difficult to stay focused on tasks. It's the same in the office - there's little-to-no noise there, so it's hard for me to focus.

What I've also found helpful is using both a weekly status sheet (posted for my manager) AND taking half an hour or so at the end of my workday to set up that day's need-to-accomplish tasks in my Outlook tasklist.

bisous
09-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Can you give yourself a "schedule" or routine? Maybe chunks of time where you get work stuff done, separated by "fun" stuff like FB and BBB, take the dog for a walk, exercise, eat lunch, etc? I operate well giving myself "rewards". I'll work for x amount of hours (or minutes) in exchange for something relaxing or something I want to do. Not sure if that helps because my situation is never quite like yours but structure helps keep me productive!

LBW
09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I've been going through something similar this week. My kids are (finally) back in school -- something I've been looking forward to all summer. I work FT from home, and it's been a rough summer for me. I've felt like I wasn't giving the kids enough attention but also wasn't putting in enough time "at work" so I thought this week would be great. Instead I've been on edge -- waiting for calls from school. Wandering around the house, not knowing what to do with myself. I've worked. But I haven't gotten as much done as I'd expected.

I think it'll come with time. I'll get used to the quiet house and the long stretch of work time. Maybe next week will be that wonderful week where it all clicks in place and I get my groove bacK!

StantonHyde
09-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Can you give yourself a "schedule" or routine? Maybe chunks of time where you get work stuff done, separated by "fun" stuff like FB and BBB, take the dog for a walk, exercise, eat lunch, etc? I operate well giving myself "rewards". I'll work for x amount of hours (or minutes) in exchange for something relaxing or something I want to do. Not sure if that helps because my situation is never quite like yours but structure helps keep me productive!

I use behavior modification on myself all the time :loveeyes: Its one of few ways I can be productive!!

Green_Tea
09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
My career makes it hard to work from home ;) but when I was in grad school and the kids were at school all day, I had a really hard time getting schoolwork done! I used to go to Starbucks all the time to make it happen. Do you have to be home/reachable all day? The other thing that helped was bargaining with myself - I could only take the 12:30 yoga class if I accomplished x,y, and z by 12. I could place that Zappos order if I finished items 1, 2, and 3 on my list.

For as stressed out and overwhelmed as I am each day now that I am working full time outside the home, I am always astounded by how much more I accomplish than when I was knocking around the house solo.

theriviera
09-11-2013, 11:12 PM
I have no advice, but I can commiserate! I PT WAH but my kids are not around during the day except for naptime. I really struggle to get work done. Will be watching closely for tips!