PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about buying new tires for my car (its a Mazda5).

JustMe
09-11-2013, 11:12 PM
So, my car is almost at 34,000 and I believe it needs new tires. What do I need to know? Brands to buy or look out for? I think there is some debate about what size to buy as well.

Giantbear
09-11-2013, 11:34 PM
what year and what make. Do you have any complaints about the original tires?

JustMe
09-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Its a 2010.

Giantbear
09-11-2013, 11:40 PM
If you have no issues with the original tires and size, tire rack is showing the toyo proxies fo 752 for 4 tires for the touring mazda 5. They are all season tires and rated nicely. I would stick to the size recommended by the manufacturer.

If you want to go cheaper, you can get the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology Grand Touring All-Season for 508 for 4 tires. Another well rated tire, more of a smooth ride than the all season

belovedgandp
09-11-2013, 11:41 PM
We have a 2009 and they were the most expensive tires I've ever had to put on a car. We've always had boring vehicles - Civics, Accords, Camry - the Mazda 5 has what was described as more of a sport tire. DH tried to explain to me and I honestly only kind of listened.

JustMe
09-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks. I have only had the car about a year and a half, but have had no issues.

, tire rack is showing the toyo proxies fo 752 for 4 tires for the touring mazda 5. Tr.

I have no idea what this means :bag.

Giantbear
09-11-2013, 11:53 PM
toyo is a manufacturer, proxies are the model and 752 is the price.

Do you like the handleing of the car with its current tires? and what are the current tires?

JustMe
09-11-2013, 11:56 PM
toyo is a manufacturer, proxies are the model and 752 is the price.

Do you like the handleing of the car with its current tires? and what are the current tires?

Oh thanks for the info.

I really don't have anything to compare the handling to. Before this my only cars were Toyota Corollas. My only complaint about the Mazda5 is it that it is very noisy. Not sure if tires can help with that or not.

I'm also not sure what the current tires are. I don't think there was anything in the car about the tires, but will look again tomorrow.

Giantbear
09-11-2013, 11:59 PM
does the noise increase with speed? If so, it very much can be the tires, as the tread wears, the tire noise increases. Take a look at the side wall of the tire for the manufacturer and model. Do you live in an area that sees snow and cold temps?

JustMe
09-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Yes, the noise does increase with speed, but I wonder if that's b/c I am on the freeway and it has to do with something else about how the Mazda5 is made?

It does not snow much here. We have a couple of snow days a year. It tends not to get down below 30. The 20s would be considered very cold here, but do happen some evenings.

legaleagle
09-12-2013, 10:24 AM
The stock tires on the 5 are pretty awful and loud - I have a 2009. I've found the mazda message boards really helpful for picking out stuff like this, the one I've looked at is mazdas247.com - here's the sticky on tires: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123707931-Mazda5-Tires-Issues-amp-Replacement-Recommendations

I have snow tires and separate rims for the winter after freaking out a few years ago about the horrible snow handling. Of course, we've had very mild winters & no snow since.

A good independent tire shop would also be a good place to go for recommendations, the one were I got my snow tires was great.

zukeypur
09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
I love Costco for tires.

lkoala
09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
If you care to spend some time on it, Tire Rack is a great place to research tires for your specific driving conditions. Looks like you're looking for a good all season.

Michelins tend to be less noisy but they are usually softer tires (not to mention, very expensive).

If you have a Costco membership & don't live too far from one (for future rotations & any tire issues), they are one of the best places to get tires.