PDA

View Full Version : Which tablet to buy?

icunurse
09-12-2013, 10:56 AM
DS is apparently the only kid in the whole world his age (9y) without a tablet, Xbox, or ipod. I would like something more than just a gaming device, so we are thinking about buying a tablet for Christmas. I have an ipad, don't really love it. But they use them at his school and it can get tons of apps and games. Problem is that without flash, there are things from his school that I can't open on it (reading books for homework, etc). DH has a kindle fire and is mostly happy with it, but also has certain books that can't be opened on it. Which bring us to the windows tablet. We don't know anything about it and are looking for opinions as far as if people are liking it, app availability, etc. On paper, it looks like a good choice....

larig
09-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Try puffin (an app) for your ipad to run flash. It works fine for PBS kids. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puffin-web-browser-free/id472937654?mt=8

Do not buy a windows tablet. They will be killed soon, I think. MS is hemorrhaging money because of them.

If I were in the market for a tablet, I would look at the iPad Mini or the Nexus 7 (nice price) (If you want to get him a smaller tablet), or the iPad and the Nexus 10.

elephantmeg
09-12-2013, 01:02 PM
I'll be watching this closely! We're talking tablets here too!

GaPeach_in_Ca
09-12-2013, 01:08 PM
DS2 has a Galaxy Tab 2 and it is really nice, in fact awesome. DS1 is having his birthday in 2 weeks and I gave him the option of a new iPod or a Galaxy Tab. I think he decided on the Galaxy Tab (need to confirm), so we will get the Tab 3 for him. It's only $200 and you just add your own microSD slot so you don't end up paying so much extra for more memory.

DH & I have the S4 phones, so we are loving Samsung right now.

icunurse
09-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Try puffin (an app) for your ipad to run flash. It works fine for PBS kids. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puffin-web-browser-free/id472937654?mt=8

Do not buy a windows tablet. They will be killed soon, I think. MS is hemorrhaging money because of them.

If I were in the market for a tablet, I would look at the iPad Mini or the Nexus 7 (nice price) (If you want to get him a smaller tablet), or the iPad and the Nexus 10.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Puffin works! It is a little slow, but I can access the whole series of my sons reading program, plus the extra elements.

Well, now this changes things. I have also been googling a bit and the windows tablet still has a lot of kinks and not a lot of the apps that my son likes. He plays games and educational apps on my ipad and doesn't complain, so maybe stick with the bigger one for him?

How are the app choices for the other tablets? I am hoping whatever tablet we choose can grow with him a bit and not solely be a gaming device. It seems like his school is putting all of his books (science, social studies, math, reading-book, grammar, spelling) with computer access, so this will be important as he gets older. I love that he doesn't have to lug books home, but want to make sure that he can easily access what he needs.

wildfire
09-12-2013, 01:49 PM

There are plenty of tablets that run Windows and are not the Surface, which is the one made by Microsoft. In addition, Microsoft is announcing a Surface 2 so it doesn't look like it's going away soon. I know people that have the Surface Pro and absolutely love it (although that is more of a true laptop replacement rather than just a tablet)

lcarlson90
09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
We bought DS a Galaxy tab for Christmas and it has been a total headache. We are an Apple family and we should have just bought an Ipad but we were trying to save money. Last week the Galaxy deleted all of the game progress my DS had on all his games. He is so bummed. I think it should be under warranty but my DH had to hack the device to get it to do what he wanted so I am sure that voided the warranty. My DH has decided that he is going to get him an Ipad and get rid of the Galaxy.

larig
09-12-2013, 03:26 PM
There are plenty of tablets that run Windows and are not the Surface, which is the one made by Microsoft. In addition, Microsoft is announcing a Surface 2 so it doesn't look like it's going away soon. I know people that have the Surface Pro and absolutely love it (although that is more of a true laptop replacement rather than just a tablet)

Yes, there are other makers, but those are mainly windows 8 tablets, as I understand it. The RT is the more affordable option from MS--and most analogous to the others I mentioned.

As far as the MS-made tablets' futures...I just can't see how they can sustain $900 million dollar losses on it. Seems bone-headed to keep it up. I wouldn't imagine that app developers will be flocking to it given, its unimpressive first steps. Maybe a MS tablet for someone in the business world, but it seems like an iOS or android device makes more sense for a kid, who will want a different set of apps than someone using it for work.

Of course if you get him an ipad you can put all of the apps you've already purchased for him on it, without having to re-purchase.

marymoo86
09-12-2013, 03:29 PM
We have an iPad 2 and I just got a Nexus 7. I really like the Nexus especially for the price.

KrystalS
09-12-2013, 03:32 PM

Thanks for posting this!! I had no idea! This is my only complaint about the iPad. We have the original iPad and really need to upgrade since we can't update anymore. I've used the Galaxy tablets a few times and they seem so much slower than the iPad.

kaharris83
09-12-2013, 03:33 PM
DS2 has a Galaxy Tab 2 and it is really nice, in fact awesome. DS1 is having his birthday in 2 weeks and I gave him the option of a new iPod or a Galaxy Tab. I think he decided on the Galaxy Tab (need to confirm), so we will get the Tab 3 for him. It's only $200 and you just add your own microSD slot so you don't end up paying so much extra for more memory.

DH & I have the S4 phones, so we are loving Samsung right now.

We really love the Samsung tablets too.

swissair81
09-12-2013, 03:58 PM
He's definitely not the only one without a tablet. My kids do not have an iPad. I have a mini that I let them use on trips. For home use we have one iPod touch and all 4 of my older kids have to share it.

larig
09-12-2013, 04:15 PM
BTW, if you decide to go with an ipad, rumor is there will be new ones next month or so--wait if you can. The Nexus 7 was just announce very recently.

KrisM
09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
He can hang out with my 9 year old DS1. He's also told me he's the only one with out an ipod or tablet. He went to a party last month and they were asked to bring their devices to play minecraft on. Fortunately, the hosts had extras, so DS1 used their ipod.

We are kind of considering one for Christmas. But, I really don't want to have to manage it. DH has a tablet that the kids use at times (Galaxy 1)

SASM
09-12-2013, 05:32 PM
We bought DS a Nexus 7 last Christmas. We initially bought it so he could have both the Kindle and Nook apps because a series that he liked was only available on Nook. Sadly, he rarely uses it for reading, as he prefers to read an actual book. The Nexus has been a challenge to childproof. I figured out a way to adequately childproof it, but it isn't perfect by any means. I think the Kindle would have been easier for childproofing but that wasn't really an option for us. The Nexus DOES have phone support, however, the support isn't nearly as professional as Apple (I had to call on three separate occasions for the same problem because they could not figure it out). If we could have afforded an iPad Mini (wanted the smaller size for portability), we would have gone that route, as we are heavily invested in IOS already. That being said, I DO like the Nexus, as does DS, but it is awkward having the N7 and then the rest of the technology in our house being Apple, which I am very familiar with. Learning a new system was interesting. It does NOT have a rear camera, which is a plus as it is one less toy to play with. I THINK it has a front camera for Skype, although I have not been able to find out how to use it, which is just as well. You CAN use music from your iTunes library, which is GREAT, however it took a LONG time to figure it out (that was my issue from above). Good luck with the decision. We have a BobJGear jelly case for it and it is WONDERFUL (and cheap compared to the others...bright colors and it stands out so I know where it is located!)!! Ohhh...in reagrds to apps, I have been able to find a fair amount of educational apps for my 5th grader, however, there isn't the variety that is on IOS. HTH...

icunurse
09-12-2013, 05:34 PM
He can hang out with my 9 year old DS1. He's also told me he's the only one with out an ipod or tablet. He went to a party last month and they were asked to bring their devices to play minecraft on. Fortunately, the hosts had extras, so DS1 used their ipod.

We are kind of considering one for Christmas. But, I really don't want to have to manage it. DH has a tablet that the kids use at times (Galaxy 1)

Yep, we have the invites to minecraft parties, too. Xbox parties. All kinds of parties for things we don't own :)

If this happens, it will be a Christmas gift and definitely affect what his birthday gift will be. I swear, every kid around here, by the time they are 5, seems to at least have an iPod touch, never mind a tablet. I just hate gaming devices (DS is addicted and I don't want to outright encourage it) and figure a tablet can get more all around use. It will be closely monitored and confiscated if used for games without permission (we don't do TV or gaming devices during the week while in school).

KrisM
09-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Yep, we have the invites to minecraft parties, too. Xbox parties. All kinds of parties for things we don't own :)

If this happens, it will be a Christmas gift and definitely affect what his birthday gift will be. I swear, every kid around here, by the time they are 5, seems to at least have an iPod touch, never mind a tablet. I just hate gaming devices (DS is addicted and I don't want to outright encourage it) and figure a tablet can get more all around use. It will be closely monitored and confiscated if used for games without permission (we don't do TV or gaming devices during the week while in school).

DS does have a Nintendo 3DS and he plays that. But, I went with getting DH the tablet. It's his. Yes, the kids use it, but they are good about asking. Only DH puts things on it and when he's home, if he wants to use it, he gets dibs. It's worked well and I am glad it doesn't belong to any of the kids. They know they can't take it into their bedroom, etc.

And, it does seem everyone has something. All the kids on the street have ipods, except mine. Well, maybe not the 2 year old who just moved in. But, the other 7 kids in elementary school all have them. The majority of DS's friends have them, too. They have 'electonics' day at school and I don't like him taking the 3DS to that, but I can't imagine sending the ipod or ipad, but many do.

JBaxter
09-13-2013, 08:05 AM
DS3 will be 10 in November. He's getting a Kindle Fire because I go a deal from staples that made it $99. We have an iPad 2 lap tops and a desk top along with 3DS Xbox & PS3

jren
09-13-2013, 08:23 AM
DD is in 4th grade and has an iPad. We use it heavily for school. There are apps that her teacher loads homework on, and she does the work on her iPad at home. Kids without tablets can use computers to access the app. For DD's learning problems, it has been indespinsable.

happymomma
09-13-2013, 08:52 AM
We got my DS an iPad mini this summer for his 10th birthday. I felt the same thing also that everyone had some sort of gaming system. He had wanted a 3D DSi. However, he did have the original DSi. So I didn't want to spend another 200 for an "upgrade" when the DS only played games. Plus the games were so expensive. So we went the iPad mini. We LOVE it. He loves it so much now. There are so much that he can do now instead of just playing the nintendo games. The apps are so much cheaper and he has different games. Plus I have educational apps there for him to work on and it'll be able to grow with him. I really like the mini a lot more than the iPad for his age. Its the right size to hold. We are thinking to get DD (8) one for Christmas.

kboyle
09-13-2013, 02:41 PM

omg, thanks so much for sharing this! we need to access 2 of charlies text books online at times and i hated that i couldn't use the ipad! now that we have a laptop it doesn't matter as much, but man, last yr when the computer died and i couldn't access on ipad i was so annoyed!

eta: ds1 and 2 do not have an ipad. ds1 does have an ipod, and ds3 has an ipad2. i will admit come xmas ds1 will have an iphone, and ds2 will inherit the ipod (which i may trade in to upgrade cause it's so slow).