PDA

View Full Version : Silly question about female puberty

bigsis
09-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Forgive my silly question as I am a foreigner trying to acclimate. :shy: My 10yo DD is, ahem, starting to develop. :eek: Do I need to get her a training bra or would a tank top under all her shirts suffice? I remember at that age and developmental stage, I only wore camisoles, but that was a different culture altogether. TIA!

robinsmommy
09-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Maybe ask DD what she prefers, or what other girls in her class do? My older girl is almost 11, she has a variety of bra-like things - no real bras, she has some, um, basically short camis with adjustable straps from H&M, some unlined camis (also H&M) and some camis with two layers from Justice or Macy's house brand. Oh, and one light cotton sports bra from Hanes. She still usually skips them all, esp as it is hot still here, but once it cools off the lined camis are her favorite. She will have to start wearing something more soon, though. I think that for the next stage, we'd do the bras from Justice (and no, I usually do not shop there with her). But the bras I've heard good things about, though I think we'd take out the modesty padding - I'm pretty sure it's removable.

almostmom
09-12-2013, 01:46 PM
I haven't gone through it with my child yet, but I have strong memories of that time in my own life. Whenever there was a girl who was developing at all, and she didn't have any sort of bra on (training), we all talked about it. Yes, of course we should have said something to her, as I most strongly remember a good friend being in this situation. But we didn't. Did she need a bra for support? No. But she was poking out of her shirt, and it was awkward for the rest of us. This was in 6th grade I think, and I was 10. So I've always felt that as soon as DD has anything going on, I'll get her training bras. That said, there are lots of those tank tops with shelf bras these days, so maybe girls are wearing those instead? That I don't know.

hillview
09-12-2013, 01:52 PM
I think it depends on peer set. If he friends have a bra I'd go with that, if she'd be the only one then a cami would be good IMO

egoldber
09-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Starting in about 4th grade, many girls start wearing camis and cami-bras. By 6th grade I'd say pretty much all the girls were wearing something. Many really did need something and others just wore it because it was just what you did.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
dd1 is in 5th grade and is "pokey". We went out and picked out a bunch of the Hanes bralettes.Cheap,easy,flatten out the pokies they way they should but not a "bra".