PDA

View Full Version : Seeking work after long time as SAHM: any BTDT/tips?

RedSuedeShoes
09-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I've been a SAHM for 13 years since our first DS was born. Now it's time for me to look for work, and I'm trying to break it down into steps. Mostly to keep myself from getting totally overwhelmed and freaking out (all too easy for me).

I've maintained my professional credentials. I spent last year getting caught up on CEU hours. I've been thinking I'd start the process of actually applying, etc. after the kids started school this fall, having no idea how long it will take to actually get a job. My impressions have always been that this town is very competitive for my profession (and others). But given our financial situation (we were comfortable on one income for years, but my husband's business has slowed considerably in the last 1-2 years due to reasons out of his control), I really need to get a job ASAP. And I just saw an opening for a part-time position (20 hrs) with benefits, which never happens in this town! The positions I usually see posted are on-call, no guaranteed hours, no benefits. So I feel like I need to speed up the process and do it, like, now!

My main questions are about timing. Ideally, I'd do all this prep first, but I may not have that luxury, so what order should I do things in? I'm thinking:
1) get interview clothes
2) fine-tune my resume
3) apply
4) cram as much as possible before each interview (for topics relevant to position)
5) get a work wardrobe after getting an offer
6) arrange childcare as needed after getting an offer

Does this sound reasonable? Obviously, if I don't get this first job (likely), I will have time to work on wardrobe and some updating of skills, but I can't really update myself on every possible area I may end up working in. Also, it feels so scary to leave childcare till the end, but I really wouldn't know my schedule till then, right? Two of my kids are in full-day school, one is in preschool 4 mornings/week, but my DH can arrange his schedule to be off Mon/Thurs if needed. So for a PT position, I may not need any childcare.

Is a suit always required for interviews? Where I've worked before (hospital, university research) I'd definitely have worn a suit, but this PT job is at a free clinic - I don't want to be overdressed, but I especially don't want to run out and spend hundreds of dollars on a suit if it's not necessary.

Also, any resources you like for resume or interview prep? When you submit your resume electronically, you just attach a Word file, right? (See how long it's been? I still think of resumes as paper!) Also the job posting said to send salary requirements...how to handle that? I'm assuming I'd start at the bottom of the pay scale anywhere b/c I've been out so long. This particular job is not through a big company like some others so I can't look up their pay scale online. Do I just name the lowest figure I've seen on other job postings, or something higher than what I'd actually take?

If anyone wants to share their story of returning to work after a long hiatus, I'd love to hear it!

BabbyO
09-12-2013, 02:48 PM
I can't answer all your questions, because I haven't been out of the work force except for a layoff where it took me 3 mo to find a new job. That said, I'd recommend the following for sequence.
1. Fine tune resume
2. Apply
3. Get interview Clothes*
4. Cram for interview
5. Arrange Childcare & Get wardrobe after getting offer.

Frankly, getting that resume polished and out ASAP for this position seems the most critical.

As for interview clothes. I'm an engineer and usually I interview in a suit. But for second interviews I always use a simple pencil skirt (or the skirt from my suit) and a blouse (often white). For the situation you describe, I think a professional looking skirt and blouse would be dressy enough, without being over dressed. I love the versatility of skirts for interview situations. You can dress them up and down based on accessories, jackets, shoes, etc. You may even have something you can use in your closet.

After that, I wouldn't stress too much about wardrobe. I would worry more about interview prep then childcare (if needed). It took us about 1 month to find care for our kids after our last sitter gave her notice.

I wish I had more advice about the salary requirements. I HATE postings that ask for that, because I feel like I'm in danger of either selling myself short or pricing myself out of the position.

I ALWAYS send my resume electronically as a PDF. I do this for 2 reasons. (1) Regardless of the default settings on the recipients computer, they should view your resume as you have formatted it. If you send a Word doc, you run the risk of the person having different settings that make your formatting goofed up, sloppy and difficult to read. (2) Most people can't alter your document if it is a pdf. I don't think this is a common problem, but I'm a bit paranoid about having my documents altered sometimes. You should be able to get free print drivers that allow you to print to PDF from Word. CutePDF is one that I'm aware of, but I'm sure there are others.

Hopefully others can chime in with their wisdom! Best of Luck!

westwoodmom04
09-12-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't know your field, but I would add networking in there. If you don't have one already, get a linkedin profile and start reaching out to your former colleagues/friends/neighbors, etc. You should do this IRL as well. There's a job tab that will list positions that might interest you.

I would list negotiable for salary questions if at all possible. You don't need to undersell yourself, better to see what is offered by them first.

I would do research to figure out where is the best place to locate sitters, nannies, etc. . . if/when you do get to that point. I think it varies by where you live.

sariana
09-12-2013, 03:30 PM
I second the recommendation to join LinkedIn. It provides a template for showcasing your skills and training, and your network can "endorse" you for your skills. Don't forget to include any volunteer work you have done.

BabbyO
09-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't know your field, but I would add networking in there. If you don't have one already, get a linkedin profile and start reaching out to your former colleagues/friends/neighbors, etc. You should do this IRL as well. There's a job tab that will list positions that might interest you.

I would list negotiable for salary questions if at all possible. You don't need to undersell yourself, better to see what is offered by them first.

I would do research to figure out where is the best place to locate sitters, nannies, etc. . . if/when you do get to that point. I think it varies by where you live.

I'm curious how you list negotiable on the application forms they often have? I've come across this as well and often those forms require numeric text only in that field. Is there an accepted way to fill it out so that prospective employers understand that you're willing to negotiate salary? I'm applying for work right now as well!

RedSuedeShoes
09-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the tip on listing salary as negotiable. It should work for this first job, since it's not an electronic application (as far as I can tell). They just said to email resume, cover letter and salary req't.

Skirts scare me a little b/c of the the pantyhose question. I have learned here that you shouldn't wear them anymore (even to an interview?) but I cannot imagine going to work with bare legs ever. Especially an interview. So I was thinking pants since it's what I always wear, and I wouldn't have to think about the pantyhose issue.

I do have a LinkedIn profile, but it's pretty sparse. I just listed my former jobs, didn't describe them. I have connected with several former colleagues there, but not sure exactly how helpful it will be in getting hired. We moved across the country just before our first son was born, and I have not worked in this town at all. So, no job connections here - that's part of the reason I haven't pursued employment before now.

PDF sounds like a good idea. I'm trying to figure out if I can use my previous resume (on our old computer) or if I have to retype. New computer only has USB ports, and when I saved it to a memory stick on old computer, it only shows up as a PDF on the new computer, so I can't edit (formatting got messed up). All this makes me feel really old and incompetent! And does not help my confidence.

Thank you all for your help.

BabbyO
09-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Skirts scare me a little b/c of the the pantyhose question. I have learned here that you shouldn't wear them anymore (even to an interview?) but I cannot imagine going to work with bare legs ever. Especially an interview. So I was thinking pants since it's what I always wear, and I wouldn't have to think about the pantyhose issue.

PDF sounds like a good idea. I'm trying to figure out if I can use my previous resume (on our old computer) or if I have to retype. New computer only has USB ports, and when I saved it to a memory stick on old computer, it only shows up as a PDF on the new computer, so I can't edit (formatting got messed up). All this makes me feel really old and incompetent! And does not help my confidence.

Thank you all for your help.

RE: the pantyhose question. I guess I'm at an advantage - I work in a very male dominated field. I'm certain they wouldn't notice if I were wearing hose or not. Spring/Summer/Fall I generally don't. Winter I would....but I don't live in a super fashion forward area - and like I said I'm certain there isn't a guy I'd interview with that would know the difference.

As for the PDF/Word dilemma for formatting. You may be able to open the PDF and do a "Save As" or "Export" to Microsoft Word document. There are also free online converters. I'm not sure how well they work. I'm sure the formatting would not remain, but at least the text would. You may also be able to find something that works. GL!

westwoodmom04
09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
I would wear the pantyhose in an interview situation. I hate them, but only skip in the spring/summer, and never on a more formal work day.

egoldber
09-13-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't think I've seen anyone under the age of 60 wear hose since I started back to work. Tights in the winter, yes.

I would just get a pants suit for interviews and worry about skirts and hose after you start a job. Each work place culture is very different.

I agree with BobbyO's list above. And begin developing an answer to the questions.....

"Why do you want to come back to work now"
"How have you kept your skills current"
"What will be the most challenging aspect of being back in the work force" (aka, code for the "do you have child care lined up" question that they legally can't ask)

123LuckyMom
09-13-2013, 10:31 AM
If you're going to wear trousers instead of a skirt, I would wear a suit. Pants and a blouse may be too informal for an interview. If you wear a skirt, you can do skirt and blouse, no hose! Nobody wears hose any more. If it's cold out, you could wear tights, but bare legs are fine for warmer weather.

I also strongly recommend saving and sending your résumé (and any other documents you're sending by email) as PDFs.

I think you can certainly wait on wardrobe and child care until you know you have the job or are super confident you will get it.

bcafe
09-13-2013, 10:35 AM
I have been looking too, although in my field it is pretty dry. My #1 caution is this:You will more than likely get few responses right away after being out of the field for 13 years. Don't get too down about that as it is just a fact. Keep slugging away and try not to focus in on your direct field, look into expanding outside of the box. I don't mean to sound harsh because I am going through the process right now. Good luck!

westwoodmom04
09-13-2013, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=egoldber;3865508]I don't think I've seen anyone under the age of 60 wear hose since I started back to work. Tights in the winter, yes.

This is definitely going to vary by occupation and location, plenty of under 60 lawyers wearing pantyhose in dc, but even that probably varies by area of specialty. I don't think dressing overly conservatively will ever hurt unless you are in a fashion/arts type field. But that is probably one of your least important worries, I think you will definitely hear at least one of the questions Beth listed at each interview.

In terms of time frame, I think you can expect that it will take 6-12 months to find a job although you may be pleasantly surprised. I

new_mommy25
09-13-2013, 12:47 PM
If I were wearing a skirt to an interview I would wear hose. You can skip the hose later after you get the job and see what everyone else is wearing, but for an interview it's best to be formal and professional. I recently looked for work after a long absence and was able to buy a very nice suit at BR very inexpensively. I bought it during a 40% off sale and then them signed up for a BR credit card and got another 20% off. I tried on suits at many different stores and found the BR to fit my body shape best.

Good luck!

ZeeBaby
09-13-2013, 12:53 PM
I always wear a skirt suit to interviews. I am a lawyer. I will sometimes wear a pantsuit to a second interview but rarely. I am a lawyer. I always wear hose with my skirts suit for an interview. I am all about bare leg on a regular basis but interviews are more formal. Also you want to start off as conservative as possible. If you find that people are very casually dressed in your industry you can always make changes as needed.

RedSuedeShoes
09-13-2013, 01:06 PM
"Why do you want to come back to work now"
"How have you kept your skills current"
"What will be the most challenging aspect of being back in the work force" (aka, code for the "do you have child care lined up" question that they legally can't ask)

So, what are good answers to these? Especially #3, although I'd love suggestions for #1 as well. The most challenging aspect will definitely be when I have sick kids, or they have days off from school, but I'm not going to say that. The other thing I've thought of is the fact that I used to spend so much time outside work (evenings, etc.) researching stuff or developing tools to use at work, and I won't have nearly as much time/energy for that now. I suppose I could spin that into something about work ethic or dedication or something.

How much should I discuss my time away from paid work in the cover letter? Passing reference, or more in-depth? I even saw a recommendation to flaunt it as an advantage, pointing out the skills I've developed during that time. Here's a link (http://http://www.manager-tools.com/forums-7739) if you're interested in the exact wording. What do you guys think about that? I *think* this should be a fairly family-friendly workplace, but I want to strike the right balance - don't want to hide my time at home, but don't want to inflate its value in the workplace either.

OK, resume is pretty done - not perfect, but pretty good, I hope. Next up: cover letter.

So, I know the hose debate is its own whole discussion, but do some people really think tights are more acceptable with a suit than hose? Tights just seem less formal to me, and I think I'd feel weird buying a suit, then dressing it down with tights. Thought I guess tights are no less formal than bare legs, right? But I am certainly no fashion maven, that's why I'm asking!

Thanks, everyone. It's so nice to have some virtual hand-holding right now!

Globetrotter
09-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Keep in mind that I started a serious job hunt last year but decided to stop for personal reasons (it was a rough year for our family) but I do think I can provide a little feedback :)

It's great that you kept up your credentials. Networking is very important. I asked my friends for contacts and set up informational interviews in the organizations where I wanted to work, including a former employer (though all the staff had changed). To my amazement, I got three actual interviews (and some preliminary questionnaires that went nowhere). In my case, I decided to get a certification in an up and coming area where there was demand, and that helped. I interviewed for a related position before I even started the certification training! I figured it would be good experience and I had nothing to lose, but I totally bombed that interview as it was a simulation of the actual skills I would be using and I regretted going before I was ready (but I never imagined the call would come so soon - now I think I will be blacklisted forever from that organization!). The other interviews went well, and in a way it was good to have the bad experience also as I had always gotten every job I had interviewed for when I was WOHM, with one exception where I knew it wasn't a good fit for me, anyway. I also think one organization was intrigued by my experience and background as they were looking for someone to do outreach to parents on an issue I had been involved with before. The third interview was a different former employer, and I had consulted for them for several years after I quit (best decision!). I didn't get any of the jobs, and I'm thankful now since I had to re prioritize. But that's beside the point :)

I mentioned the gap in cover letters so it wasn't a surprise, but I think I wrote some strong cover letters. I did do some WAH many of those years, and that helped, plus I had volunteer experience. For one of the jobs, I emphasized my parenting role IRT the issue at hand, but I realize that is a rare opportunity!

As for interview outfit, I would go with a pant suit for comfort. That way you don't have to think about it too much. My first interview came within a few days of submitting applications, and that caught me by surprise. I think you should go ahead and start looking at suits but perhaps don't buy it until you need it. I had two days to find one that fit, and I'm hard to fit so it was stressful.

To prepare, I researched the organizations, the job description, current trends and anything related. I also looked at a really good HR blog that covers all sorts of work-related topics: http://www.askamanager.org/

Had I continued with my search, I would have volunteered for one of the potential employers to get my foot in the door, but that's an option in my field.

Best of luck!