PDA

View Full Version : Rash around mouth

flashy09
09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
My DD has some chips and hummus with lunch and now has a red rash where the hummus came in contact with the skin around her mouth. It's solid colored and smooth and no hives. She is acting fine. Is that just simple skin irritation or an allergic reaction. The hummus has chick peas, olive oil, sesame seeds, lemon and garlic juice, and dried oregano. I assume it would be the sesame if an allergy?

If it does sound like an allergy, do I need to do anything if it stays just skin related? Does it mean next time something worse will happen?

BabbyO
09-12-2013, 02:56 PM
My boys occasionally get a similar reaction when they have tomato or acidic food sometimes. When they were younger it was more common. Stachio would break out due to red pepper in hummus. It never did much more than turn red. Now it is less frequent. We always just monitored the situation. Does the redness subside after wiping her skin clean?

That said, if it is an allergic reaction - I would guess sesame.

MSWR0319
09-12-2013, 03:30 PM
I would guess it's from acid. DS used to get a red flat rash when eating acidic foods like pp mentioned. I asked our allergist and he said to put vaseline around the mouth if the rash was really bothering me and it would act as a barrier. Could be the lemon juice. You might want to try to vaseline to see if she reacts again. If it is an allergy it could be the chick peas or the sesame. DS has a peanut allergy and for the first few years he was to avoid sesame and chickpeas until he was old enough to get a reliable test. We have now been cleared to try them both but DS won't eat either.

BabyBearsMom
09-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Sounds like acid. DD1 gets the same thing from tomatoes and DD2 gets it from strawberries. Just wipe her mouth thoroughly with warm water after she eats acidic food. Most kids grow out if it. DD1 almost never gets it anymore at 3.5.

Pinky
09-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Our DD gets the same thing from tomato sauce, ranch dip, bbq sauce etc. Always goes away a few minutes after washing her face.

flashy09
09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Sounds like acid. DD1 gets the same thing from tomatoes and DD2 gets it from strawberries. Just wipe her mouth thoroughly with warm water after she eats acidic food. Most kids grow out if it. DD1 almost never gets it anymore at 3.5.

Come to think of it, she had the same thing happen once with strawberries. I bet it is the acid. Thanks everyone!! It's gone now.