PDA

View Full Version : C-section recovery question?

sarahsthreads
09-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Yesterday I realized I HAD TO LEAVE MY HOUSE. So I went to visit a couple of people with DS, came home and rested a bit, and then took the girls to dance class. I'm 2.5 weeks out from the c-section. (My discharge papers said 2 weeks for driving, my midwife said she'd prefer that to be 4. I am my kids' only form of transportation, so...2.5 weeks it had to be.) For the earlier visits, I left the infant bucket in the car and just put DS in and took him out. I was pretty achy from bending and twisting to get him in there, so was not looking forward to doing it *again* to and from dance class. And then when we got to dance I realized that I really needed both hands free for helping with dance shoes and putting back hair - and I really didn't want to carry the big heavy diaper bag either - so I carefully got out the stroller and put the bucket seat in it. (Both are pretty light weight, but each weighs more than the baby. Honestly, so does the diaper bag!) Luckily DH met me there and put DS and the stroller back in the car for me, because I actually don't think I could have lifted the stroller back up into the minivan.

Last night and today, a few inches above my incision hurts - though not the incision itself, that area looks and feels OK. It's better if I take ibuprofen, so I've done that, and have really done nothing else besides nurse, change diapers, eat, and chill with the baby.

So did I just overdo things yesterday? Do I give it a couple more days of doing nothing much to see if it gets better, or do I need to see someone? I'm assuming that if I did any serious damage I'd see some bleeding or...something...right?

In general, how long were you told before driving, lifting, etc? Because between my hospital discharge papers, my midwife's verbal instructions, and random searching on the internet, there are so many conflicting answers...and I'm going a little stir crazy here with just DS for company while the big girls are at school! I don't really want to go do a full grocery shop or anything crazy like that, I just need to get out for a bit...

Sarah

westwoodmom04
09-12-2013, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless you have bleeding, the area will be sore for a month or so. I drove within a week of my second c-section (though only a five minute drive), because my baby was still in the hospital, my dh was at work, and my mom stayed with my daughter. My doctor had said no driving for 2 weeks. I didn't have help after the first week with either c-section and dh was back to work, so I did all the normal day to day lifting, including grocery shopping, etc. . .

hillview
09-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't worry. I waited a week or 2. After my second c-section I was driving after the first couple of days (off meds) and lifting the bucket seat with DS2 in it by week 2.

BabyBearsMom
09-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Just take ibuprofen and try to take it easy for a day or two.

KrisM
09-12-2013, 03:42 PM
You probably over did it. I waited close to 2 weeks for driving. I do recover easily, and was able to lift eh car seat in and out by 2 weeks without a problem.

scrooks
09-12-2013, 04:10 PM
I was driving after 2 weeks with all 3. I generally have pretty easy recoveries but was definitely more sore this last time around and took ibuprofen for longer on an as needed basis. I would take it easy for the next day or 2.

egoldber
09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Do you have a stroller frame? I found that invaluable to use with the infant seat with a c-section recovery. So much lighter than hauling a stroller in and out of the car.

You probably did overdo it a little. TMI, but I found that my barometer for overdoing it was if I started bleeding again.

kdeunc
09-12-2013, 04:38 PM
My OB said I could drive when off meds and felt like I had the range of motion to make a quick maneuver if necessary. By baby 3 it was within a week, no longer than 2 with the other sections.

sarahsthreads
09-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Gosh, now I'm feeling like a total wimp...I can't imagine being able to drive at week one or grocery shop at week two. I thought I was doing pretty well by being off all pain meds at week one and uncovering my kitchen sink & counters from my well-meaning but less-than-neat DH and ILs at week two!

Alright, so I'll just take it easy for another day or two and try again.

Oh, and the stroller frame we had won't take the new bucket seat we bought. Not sure it's worth the investment for the short time I'd need it.

Sarah :)

specialp
09-12-2013, 04:57 PM
My OB said I could drive when off meds and felt like I had the range of motion to make a quick maneuver if necessary.

This is what my Dr. said exactly. I drove maybe on day 6 or 7, lifted bucket seat right before the 2 week point, but I had been off of meds since the first day and was recovering very quickly to move, etc. But I agree that you will be sore for a while and at different points. My incision itself was more numb than anything, but I would get sore above and below. I would just take it easy for a day and see how you feel.

bisous
09-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Don't feel like a wimp! I'm way wimpier than you. Way. Seriously. Everyone recovers differently and there are so many factors. Even though I took it way easy, I bled for almost 9 weeks last time around. I was "overdoing it" even though I was not doing nearly enough. C-sections are just tough. I wish I was near you, Sarah. I have a stroller frame sitting up in my garage looking at me and not being useful. With my kids only 2 years apart this time around I figure I might not get much use out of it and I still have 7 weeks til babe is due anyway! I do really like the stroller frame set up. What I would do is get the stroller frame out, wheel it close to the car seat and then all I'd have to do is that one initial carry from the car to the stroller frame. It seemed to be much less of a strain, if that makes sense!

BunnyBee
09-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Don't feel like a wimp. Everyone recovers differently, and didn't you have some extreme stuff happen? My last had complications and it took much longer to recover than the previous ones. Gushing blood would be a sign you hurt something. Otherwise it's just your muscles yelling at you.

specialp
09-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Not a wimp at all! People recover very differently. My sister had a terrible time and didn't drive until 4 weeks later.

TxCat
09-12-2013, 05:54 PM
It sounds like you just overdid it.

I started driving around a week and a half this time - my doc said I was fine to drive once I was off my narcotic pain pills. Traditional medical dogma is 2 weeks. However, I've really held off of heavy lifting, especially infant in the car seat, which was my OB's biggest concern. I've lifted the car seat once so far (I'll be 6 weeks postpartum tomorrow), and I've only lifted my DD1 about 3-4 times out of necessity, and kept it as brief as possible. I'm trying to give my deeper tissues the best chance at a full recovery without any chance of disrupted sutures or increased bleeding or scar tissue.

Momit
09-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Gosh, now I'm feeling like a total wimp...I can't imagine being able to drive at week one or grocery shop at week two. I thought I was doing pretty well by being off all pain meds at week one and uncovering my kitchen sink & counters from my well-meaning but less-than-neat DH and ILs at week two!

Alright, so I'll just take it easy for another day or two and try again.

Oh, and the stroller frame we had won't take the new bucket seat we bought. Not sure it's worth the investment for the short time I'd need it.

You are not a total wimp! I am in awe of these people with their quick c-section recovery times. I was in rough shape for weeks, shuffling around in my bathrobe and taking 5 minutes to crawl out of bed. A friend had a c-section and I didn't realize when we went to visit maybe 3 weeks post partum, she just looked so perky and mobile I couldn't believe it when her DH mentioned he C.

I mean, I guess I did drive after 2 weeks but it's not like I was zipping around all over the place. I had to make myself go. DS is our only so it wasn't like I had to suck it up so the other kids could go to their activities or whatever.

KLD313
09-12-2013, 08:46 PM
I was lifting my heavy two year old less than a week after my c-section, I had no choice. Yes, it hurt but my midwife said it was no bog deal amd to do what I had to do. I just tried to brace myself. As for driving, I did that after about a week, too.

sarahsthreads
09-12-2013, 09:54 PM
I wish I was near you, Sarah. I have a stroller frame sitting up in my garage looking at me and not being useful. With my kids only 2 years apart this time around I figure I might not get much use out of it and I still have 7 weeks til babe is due anyway! I do really like the stroller frame set up. What I would do is get the stroller frame out, wheel it close to the car seat and then all I'd have to do is that one initial carry from the car to the stroller frame. It seemed to be much less of a strain, if that makes sense!

Aw, that's such a sweet thought! I did wheel the stroller right up next to the minivan, so there wasn't much carrying. I really think the attempts to get DS in and out of the bucket while it was in the car were what hurt me more in the first place. Just the bending and twisting, and climbing in and out of the car. Whose brilliant idea was it to put that bucket in the center? Oh, yeah. Mine. :P (Something about not wanting to listen to the whining about who got to sit next to the baby brother and how unfair it was that someone was stuck in the way back, or wherever...)

Don't feel like a wimp. Everyone recovers differently, and didn't you have some extreme stuff happen? My last had complications and it took much longer to recover than the previous ones. Gushing blood would be a sign you hurt something. Otherwise it's just your muscles yelling at you.

I'll take yelling muscles over recovery set-back any time. Shh, muscles, I get it, I'll take it easier. :) So far no bleeding, so I'm guessing I'm in the clear about doing any major damage.

You are not a total wimp! I am in awe of these people with their quick c-section recovery times. I was in rough shape for weeks, shuffling around in my bathrobe and taking 5 minutes to crawl out of bed. A friend had a c-section and I didn't realize when we went to visit maybe 3 weeks post partum, she just looked so perky and mobile I couldn't believe it when her DH mentioned he C.

I mean, I guess I did drive after 2 weeks but it's not like I was zipping around all over the place. I had to make myself go. DS is our only so it wasn't like I had to suck it up so the other kids could go to their activities or whatever.

Yeah, first thing in the morning just plain sucks. Getting out of bed is the worst - and it seems so much worse in the morning than any of the middle-of-the-night nursing/diapering wakings. But! If I can make it past that and through showering and getting dressed, I feel pretty decent. I walked around our local town festival last Saturday for a good three hours - slowly, and with breaks now and then, but we covered a lot of ground. When people asked how old the baby was they were impressed that I was out and about when he wasn't even 2 weeks old, but it's not like I went into his birth story with any of them so I don't imagine anyone would realize I'd just had a c-section. Of course, I came home and crashed HARD for the remainder of the day!

It's just surprising to me that somehow all that walking was nowhere near as difficult as the driving/carseat stuff I did yesterday.

Here's hoping next Wednesday it will be easier to get the girls to (and from!) dance, and maybe I'll even manage a meet-for-coffee run with a friend at some point next week...

Thanks for all the reassurances and commiseration!

bisous
09-12-2013, 10:15 PM
It's just surprising to me that somehow all that walking was nowhere near as difficult as the driving/carseat stuff I did yesterday.

Not to me! It is those common, little movements that always get me. So hard to avoid when you have other kids. Last time around I really hurt myself when I went by myself to target. I was too zippy getting in and out of the car and I bled a lot when I got home. This was 4 weeks PP!

sarahsthreads
09-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Phew, feeling a bit less achy today, so I guess no harm done!

I think I'll wait on going anywhere with DS by myself unless I have no choice (dance class!) for a while longer though. Maybe I'll drive to the mall this weekend - we still haven't gotten the kids any new shoes, so they went to school in 57 degree rain with summer "sneakers" that are more holes than anything else today...I can't imagine what the teacher must think of us! - and have DH do the stroller/carseat stuff. Baby steps, right?

TxCat
09-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Phew, feeling a bit less achy today, so I guess no harm done!

I think I'll wait on going anywhere with DS by myself unless I have no choice (dance class!) for a while longer though. Maybe I'll drive to the mall this weekend - we still haven't gotten the kids any new shoes, so they went to school in 57 degree rain with summer "sneakers" that are more holes than anything else today...I can't imagine what the teacher must think of us! - and have DH do the stroller/carseat stuff. Baby steps, right?

I've been doing a crazy amount of online shopping to avoid shopping with the baby ( both to increase my rest/recovery time and because there are pertussis and measles outbreaks in Texas right now). When I do go anywhere, I've been leaving the infant seat in the car and wearing DD2 in a lightweight Moby wrap for hands-free.

daisymommy
09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
I don't leave the house for two weeks after a natural, vaginal birth--let alone for a C section! So no way do I think you're a wimp. You just had major surgery. I would think a trip to see one friend would be okay. Multiple people and then dance class too I'm sure was too much. Take it easy mama!

Sent from my iPad