PDA

View Full Version : An update a year later: Yes, voice training can help!

citymama
09-12-2013, 03:26 PM
One year ago, I posted this thread: "Can Voice Lessons help someone who can't sing?" (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?440706-Can-voice-training-actually-help-someone-who-can-t-sing-in-tune&highlight=voice+lessons)
about whether my DD should take voice lessons. The answer is YES, it can! Not only can she now hold a tune pretty well, but she loves to sing and has continued with voice! I don't think she's going to be singing at La Scala any time soon, but it has really helped her hear notes and sing correctly. Thanks to all who recommended it!

Oh, and BTW, she did both voice and tennis after school - on different days - and has stuck with both so far.

Her next request: saxophone lessons! Anyone have a 7 year old taking saxophone? ;)

sariana
09-12-2013, 03:49 PM
I would wait at least a year before starting a wind instrument. Age 8 is the minimum, IMO. The voice training will help because she will know about breath control, but 7 still is young as far as lung development. Ever watch a youth orchestra? You'll see teeny tiny string players, but the wind players always are older.

I personally am not a fan of the saxophone, but even I have to admit it is a good first instrument. The fingering is pretty straightforward, and the reed is "friendly". (I play bassoon--not my first instrument--and its reed is NOT "friendly.")

maestramommy
09-12-2013, 03:54 PM
That is GREAT! This gives me hope. DD1 starts kids' choir this Sunday. It's for 2nd-6th graders. Keeping my fingers crossed!

ETA: I would hold off on Sax for a couple of years. Like flute, the size is fixed, and might be a stretch for little hands. The alto sax is the one they usually start with since it is smaller, but even that one is sizable. It IS a friendly starter though.

KpbS
09-12-2013, 03:56 PM
I was just thinking about this (and that thread) the other day! DS1 sang in choir all last year and while he is not fantastic his singing voice and ability to sing in tune has improved a ton. :)

citymama
09-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Oh, that's good to know re sax. We are serious jazz fans and are over the moon that she asked to play sax! That said, I play guitar, and DH and his mom play piano (and we have one), so we were encouraging one of those instruments. Should we just hold off all together on instruments for a few more years? Or have her start flute now in prep for future saxophone lessons?

bisous
09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Cool! I didn't realize that. Thanks for posting!

maestramommy
09-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Well, they're not really the same. I mean, they are different keys. Flute is a C instrument (like piano and guitar) and Alto sax is an Eb instrument. So it *might* be confusing for her to learn notes in one key, then have to switch. Many kids do it of course, when they end up playing multiple instruments. But I'm not sure that the fingering for flute and sax are the same (I took both when I was doing my student teaching but years ago).

crayonblue
09-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Excellent!!! And great to know. DD1 is in voice now and while she does have a very nice voice, it's good to know that lessons can improve hearing and singing notes. :)