PDA

View Full Version : If you suspect DC has oral allergy syndrome

brittone2
09-12-2013, 04:05 PM
do you not have DC eat the foods that are an issue?

We suspect DS1 has OAS. He is the only one of my kids with eczema (mostly only triggered by alcohol based hand sanitizers), and has more pollen allergy than the others. 2 years ago or so he mentioned he gets a bit itchy when he eats peaches, cherries, and sometimes almonds. His mouth gets little bumps around it if he bites directly into an apple, no issues if we cut it up for him. No other symptoms, mild nuisance as far as he's concerned.

He mostly avoids these items on his own now. What I've read seems like it isn't a huge deal, but then I have read studies saying sometimes there can be anaphylaxis related to OAS. On a different message board, some parents have peds who have RXd an epipen for OAS even though the child has never had any anaphylaxis symptoms.

If you suspect it, how do you handle it? We will talk to our MD (recently switched, last one didn't seem to be alarmed). Did you pursue seeing an allergist? It seems like most info is pretty reassuring but then there are pieces about how anaphylaxis is possible even with "just" OAS.

egoldber
09-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Older DD has mild OAS with bananas and sometimes strawberries. She avoids all bananas and will not eat the strawberries if that batch annoys her. Her allergist does not seem at all concerned.

crl
09-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Ds has this for apples, strawberries and mangoes. But his symptoms are red and slightly swollen lips and a painful and red tip of the tongue. Due to the pain we avoid all contact with those fruits for him. We went to an allergist for a dx and he was not concerned about anaphylaxis and told us we did not need the epi that the urgent care Ped had prescribed.

Does anyone know what the odds are a kid will out grow oral allergy syndrome? Ds outgrew his milk allergy and keeps wanting to try the fruits again, but when we tried strawberries it was an obvious reaction. I'm not sure if I should keep letting him try periodically or if this is something he just won't outgrow. (Sorry to hijack.)

Catherine

brittone2
09-12-2013, 04:25 PM
That's always been my thought on it, but then I was reading elsewhere that sometimes they still RX an epipen. DS1 really only seems mildly annoyed by it and mostly self limits. His symptoms appear to be classic OAS and our ped has agreed in the past, just going off of our description (admittedly no skin testing, but everything fits pretty much to a tee).

brittone2
09-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I have no idea on the odds of outgrowing, but as I was looking through info this afternoon at least one article said OAS is more common in adults. That doesn't necessarily mean it can't be outgrown, I just didn't realize that it was more common in the adult population. I have no idea what that means for likelihood of actually outgrowing it though.

eta: link I was discussing from CHOP about adults vs. children http://www.chop.edu/service/allergy/allergy-and-asthma-information/oral-allergy-syndrome.html

BabyBearsMom
09-12-2013, 04:28 PM
DD1 has it with tomatoes (although she seems to be growing out of it) and DD2 has it with strawberries. With DD1, she still eats tomatoes and we didn't stop. With DD2, we stopped and will try again in a few months because I have a severe strawberry allergy.

Zukini
09-12-2013, 05:29 PM
I have OAS with chamomile and Echinacea (ragweed family, which I did test positive for with skin testing). It makes my throat feel tender and throbby, and I start making "cluck clucking" noises as if I have a nasal drip. No difficulty with breathing or itchiness on the skin but since I have other confirmed allergies, I do take Benadryl as a precaution if I happen to ingest it. Due to the discomfort I avoid all products containing these things (sleepytime or any unlabeled teas, Airborne lozenges, etc).

My mother has the same issue and the chamomile even bothers her it is used in shampoo or body lotions - she reads labels at the salon / spa before they start applying it to her. When my sister wanted to give my nephew chamomile tea for some ailment as a toddler, we advised her to wait. She then tried it herself and reported the same tender, throbby feeling, and to my knowledge has never given her son anything containing it (he has other allergies and sensitivities as well).

rlu
09-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I have OAS, birch pollen. I grew into this, starting as a teen reacting to walnuts and then reacting to several items (apples, pecans, cherries) in my 40s.

I avoid items I reacted to in the past, and most that I suspect will cause a reaction, going by wiki, so you know, not exactly an exact and exhaustive list. I did see an allergist and he was not concerned, simply told me to not eat them if I react. He did point out I could most likely eat cooked stone fruit, just not raw. I've been more concerned the more I read, but haven't talked to the allergist about it.

eta: I carry a benedryl on me at all times. It does help with the symptoms but puts me to sleep.

willow33
09-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I have OAS and it has become worse as an adult. When I was a child I would eat apples, peaches, etc...and my mouth would be itchy. When DS2 was a toddler I was cutting up a peach and I ate a tiny skinless piece and my throat began to close up. It was one of the most frightening things I have been through. I went for allergy testing and I had such a bad reaction in the office that my blood pressure sky-rocketed and I had to stay in the office for observation for a few hours. I now have an epi-pen and I don't eat raw apples, peaches, cherries, plums, almonds and anything else related to my allergy.

My boys have started just recently (ages 10 and 8) to mention that they get itchy after eating apples. We try to avoid them now or if they really want one we make sure to have Benadryl on hand to give them. I plan to have them both tested for allergies soon.

I think OAS can be anything from very mild to severe. I have a friend that loves apples, but they make her itch/rash so she takes an allergy pill before she eats it. I'd rather just avoid it.

rlu
09-12-2013, 06:13 PM
I have OAS and it has become worse as an adult. When I was a child I would eat apples, peaches, etc...and my mouth would be itchy. When DS2 was a toddler I was cutting up a peach and I ate a tiny skinless piece and my throat began to close up. It was one of the most frightening things I have been through. I went for allergy testing and I had such a bad reaction in the office that my blood pressure sky-rocketed and I had to stay in the office for observation for a few hours. I now have an epi-pen and I don't eat raw apples, peaches, cherries, plums, almonds and anything else related to my allergy.

My boys have started just recently (ages 10 and 8) to mention that they get itchy after eating apples. We try to avoid them now or if they really want one we make sure to have Benadryl on hand to give them. I plan to have them both tested for allergies soon.

I think OAS can be anything from very mild to severe. I have a friend that loves apples, but they make her itch/rash so she takes an allergy pill before she eats it. I'd rather just avoid it.

Have you tried eating cooked fruit - I'm specifically thinking apple pie for example. I've been avoiding apple juice unless I can confirm it has been pasturized (and not just "flash pasturized" since I don't think that heats long enough to count as "cooked").

MSWR0319
09-12-2013, 07:46 PM
How do you know if its OAS or an actual allergy to those foods?

rlu
09-12-2013, 08:56 PM

I did the prick test and came back negative for allergies but I get a sore tongue and itchy throat if I eat these items.

liz
09-13-2013, 06:37 AM
DS1 now gets mouth blisters if he eats cantaloupe. He complained for a while that eating cantaloupe made his gums "itchy", but one day he got a blister. DH is the same way, so I assume he inherited it? I have mentioned it to the ped, but he did not seem concerned. DS and DH both have seasonal allergies too.

crl
09-13-2013, 10:12 AM

As far as I could tell, the allergist diagnosed based on the symptoms and that they were limited to the mouth. Just going on what I can remember.

Catherine