PDA

View Full Version : jealous of halloween supermom.

Kestrel
09-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Another year, and the Halloween supermom has stuck again.

This stay-at-home mom goes all out with homemade costumes for all of her (now six) kids. Previous years have been the Pooh gang, with a seven-month prego mom as Kanga with a little stuffed Roo on the tummy; four different Disney princesses; Shrek, Donkey, Fiona, Dragon, and the prince; and now...

The whole Oozma Kappa Frat from Monsters University.

Please stop. This is getting embarrassing for the rest of us.

Thank you.

bisous
09-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Oh I can understand feeling that way. Personally, my kids get to pick out a $20 costume from party city so we are not fancy people by any means! I confess to liking looking at the beautiful homemade ones and think sometimes my kids would really love it. But it isn't something I choose to spend my time on. I also notice that my feelings of "jealousy" depend on the intent of the person, if that makes sense. I have lots of friends, for example, that have "braggy" FB posts but I know these people and they share their struggles AND their triumphs and because they are open and earnest I sincerely celebrate with them! On the other hand, I have a SIL who does things just to get a show. When she is boasting it is obnoxious in a "Nelly Olsen" type of way. Hard to describe but she just isn't a collaborator and always has to be the best so when she "excels" at something it kind of makes me roll my eyes! Mean but true...

AshleyAnn
09-12-2013, 10:24 PM
I know this is a BP and I kind of hate her too but maybe Halloween is just her thing. I always go all out (granted I don't get anywhere near Pooh and the gang)

I bet her kids hate it, at least one of them wanted to be something outside of the theme. The kids memories are going to be how mom always dressed us as a group and they never got the joy of being exactly what they wanted.

MamaMolly
09-13-2013, 07:16 AM
I totally get it. I love making my kid's costumes but this year I'm toying with the idea of just taking them to the store and being DONE with it. If anything, your post makes me feel a little better about that! :)

(oh, and no I don't do themes. We do silly stuff like SpiderMan and a cheetah. So I'm nuts but not as nuts as the lady mentioned by OP. :) :))

wendibird22
09-13-2013, 08:48 AM
I totally get it too. Halloween gives me anxiety. It did as a kid and it still does as the mom. As a kid I never felt creative for my costume and my mom didn't sew and my dad wasn't handy so I never had a nice homemade costume or something clever made from a cardboard box. Now as the mom who doesn't sew I feel the disappointment/anxiety I had as a kid for my own kids. But they are happy and that's what matters to me. I don't have the time/energy to come up with a family theme and to craft something original. DDs tell me what they want to be and I buy it from the store. If I'm lucky I already have it as a hand me down from my nieces :)

lizzywednesday
09-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Halloween is a big deal for us in our house - it's DH's and my "mini-versary," the anniversary of when we first met.

HOWEVER, I am strictly store-bought in the costume department. My sewing machine is currently gathering dust on my 3rd floor. If I chose to sew a costume, I would have had to start in July because my free time is so limited.

The only "craft" I do for Halloween is carving jack-o-lanterns, actually, because they can be done in an hour or two the evening before.

ladysoapmaker
09-13-2013, 10:32 AM
I admit I'm handy with a sewing machine and I love Halloween. However I don't have time to make costumes. ANd I know my kids will ask for something the week before and DH & I will scramble to get something together. I think we'll get the kids off the shelf this year. So don't feel bad, I bet the older kids are griping that they can't wear what they want.

Jen

arivecchi
09-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Holy moly! How does one make time for that?!?

elliput
09-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Someone with that many kids doesn't have time to sew. She's got a sweat shop with slave labor set up somewhere.

elektra
09-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Reason #137 why I would not do well as a SAHM- too much pressure to do creative crafty things like awesome Halloween costumes!
I do have to say though that when I was a kid, my dad did the most awesome Halloween costumes. He actually worked full time too, with his own custom woodworking shop. It was just a talent he had and he just really got into creating our costumes.

lovin2shop
09-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Well, my boys would have nothing to do with it, even if I sewed up a storm trooper or something. It is a huge day in our house when they get to go to the Halloween store and pick out their costumes!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-13-2013, 02:00 PM
like a PP said, halloween is likely her thing. I know it is mine. I go crazy over Halloween. My house is a sheer disaster, but i will go to town with all the Halloween themed-crafts, making our own Halloween candy , visiting pumpkin patches, halloween decorations, and all that. it probably seems like supermom bc u think if she does this for halloween, what does she do for Christmas and whatnot. well for me i don't do much for Christmas except for santa photos and such. for whatever reason i obsess over Halloween. it is my favorite holiday by far. this lady probably has the same obsession.

this is my first halloween while working and i'm actually considering takig half a day off just so i can take my kids to the pumpkin patch. :)

MamaMolly
09-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Someone with that many kids doesn't have time to sew. She's got a sweat shop with slave labor set up somewhere.

;) Maybe that's why she has so many kids? The bigger ones are 'homeschooled' in the family costume sweatshop in the basement.

kellyd
09-13-2013, 04:29 PM
As a SAHM to 3 I'm exhausted just reading that :) I did homemade theme costumes 1 year and all I did was make DH's and mine. We were dorothy, the lion and the scarecrow. We had a really cute lion given to us by a cousin for DS. he was 1 1/2 and it was for the halloween party at DH's school and for DS to help pass out candy lol. I won't say I'll never do it again, but I hope to never do it again lol. I'm currently googling pterodactyl costumes hoping like crazy DS changes his mind and thanking my luck that the girls want to be disney princesses again this year LOL.

lkoala
09-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Oh my gosh, I need her number quick! I'm already hyperventilating at the thought of having to think up a pippi longstocking costume for DD. Why, oh why did I have to read those books to her?

niccig
09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
I totally get it too. Halloween gives me anxiety. It did as a kid and it still does as the mom. As a kid I never felt creative for my costume and my mom didn't sew and my dad wasn't handy so I never had a nice homemade costume or something clever made from a cardboard box. Now as the mom who doesn't sew I feel the disappointment/anxiety I had as a kid for my own kids.

Don't feel disappointed that your kids have a costume bought from a store. My mum was one of those that went all for costumes or birthday cakes. I would feel guilty for buying, but realized my love for DS isn't solely expressed in making the best costume or amazing cake. It's being there and enjoying the entire celebration.

So when my mother asks what cake I'm making for DS for his birthday, I proudly say "a cake from the bakery!" Her reply is "You can't buy his cake" and every time I say, "Yes, I can." No more guilt for not having the time or the skill or the patience to make from scratch.

OP, I agree with others that said her kids may not like not having a choice in what they get to be. My mother had a vision for what she wanted and that's what we got. I much prefer DS getting the choice and then working out how to get the costume - most often bought as I don't have time/skill/patience to make it.

elliput
09-13-2013, 06:16 PM
;) Maybe that's why she has so many kids? The bigger ones are 'homeschooled' in the family costume sweatshop in the basement.
:duh: Of course! Why didn't that occur to me?

Don't feel disappointed that your kids have a costume bought from a store. My mum was one of those that went all for costumes or birthday cakes. I would feel guilty for buying, but realized my love for DS isn't solely expressed in making the best costume or amazing cake. It's being there and enjoying the entire celebration.
:) Yes. Sometimes I have the time and energy to bake the cake or make the costume and sometimes I don't. Last year, DD had a costume I made (a green t-shirt with a kerchief hem skirt attached, ie super easy), and DS's costume was a fabulous find at TJ Maxx.

Green_Tea
09-13-2013, 06:26 PM
I hate Halloween. Passionately. I actually think the entire family outfitted as Pooh characters sounds kind of dumb and embarrassing. Adults in Halloween costumes freak me out.

My mom made all my costumes, but all I really wanted was the boxed plastic costume from K Mart. Her kids will likely need therapy, while yours will spend all the money buying diamonds and sending you on cruises in your old age. It will all work out in the end ;).

elizabethkott
09-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Yeish.
The only time we did the "family" costume thing was when DS1 was 3 1/2 and DS2 was 3 months old.
We did Star Wars- DS1 was Luke, I was Leia, DH was Han Solo, and DS2 was Chewy. ;)
I did have them do Batman and Robin two years ago. It was hilarious. But I don't have the time or the energy to do the whole family again!!!
Child home school sweatshop, indeed! It HAS to be the only way!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

scrooks
09-13-2013, 07:22 PM
I hate Halloween. Passionately. I actually think the entire family outfitted as Pooh characters sounds kind of dumb and embarrassing. Adults in Halloween costumes freak me out.

My mom made all my costumes, but all I really wanted was the boxed plastic costume from K Mart. Her kids will likely need therapy, while yours will spend all the money buying diamonds and sending you on cruises in your old age. It will all work out in the end ;).
Ditto all of this!
Halloween is just not my thing!

niccig
09-14-2013, 06:02 PM
I know this is a BP and I kind of hate her too but maybe Halloween is just her thing.

Coming back to this as had a long conversation with another parent. She goes all out for Halloween and birthdays. Her kids are involved in the process and get to help do things. Her oldest DC is learning how to sew and helps with the costumes. It sounded like a real family activity with everyone pitching in. This is her thing. I said my thing is to go over the Halloween costume catalog with DS. We both agreed that it has to be something you enjoy doing, have the skills, time and patience. There was no competition or implication that one way is better than the other as the end result is the same, the kids have a great Halloween.

So OP, don't compare what you do with this other mom, end result is the same.

Nooknookmom
09-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Another year, and the Halloween supermom has stuck again.

This stay-at-home mom goes all out with homemade costumes for all of her (now six) kids. Previous years have been the Pooh gang, with a seven-month prego mom as Kanga with a little stuffed Roo on the tummy; four different Disney princesses; Shrek, Donkey, Fiona, Dragon, and the prince; and now...

The whole Oozma Kappa Frat from Monsters University.

Please stop. This is getting embarrassing for the rest of us.

Thank you.

I commiserate. My good friend has now, for the entire time I have known her (12yrs) has successfully sewed her (only) daughters costumes from my meeting her in our DD's first grade class through school and now she is sewing for her now college freshman!

I am a "lets think I something cool and rummage thru the house and goodwill!" We use old and new pieces.

Anyway..now that her dd is away she is kinda taking my little one under her sewing wing :). Although she is still making her kiddo a costume.

No complaints here!!!! Ill be happy to provide the hair!

ahisma
09-23-2013, 10:22 AM
I make my kids' costumes every year - and every year I look at the store bought costumes and see how much nicer they are. NO judgement from me - I think those of you who are buying them are probably making the smart choice.

AnnieW625
09-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Not a huge fan of Halloween although I do look forward to getting some excercise walking the kids around and talking with friends. My kids are getting costumes from Etsy most likely. DD1 wants to be Lela from Teen Beach Movie though and she is not happy that I won't let her wear this biker like outfit (http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4759808472976213&w=192&h=186&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7) (not to mention it is sold out on Spirit and Party City websites:thumbsup:) so I am most likely getting her a dress like this from Etsy (http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4796796713894801&w=234&h=188&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7), and DD2 is going to be a Minion from Despicable Me so that one I can get at Party City, but am leaning towards Etsy because DD1 will change her mind a million times when we are there, but will still be mad that I won't get her the biker outfit. :shrug::banghead:

citymama
09-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Right with you, OP! Object of my envy and admiration in equal parts!

I make my kids' costumes every year - and every year I look at the store bought costumes and see how much nicer they are. NO judgement from me - I think those of you who are buying them are probably making the smart choice.

I would love to do home-made if I a) had time b) could pull it off without them looking like a preschooler made their costumes. I am not crafty. And like the OP, I'm peeved and jealous and in awe of those who are and can pull this off!

Awesome for the supermoms who do the parties and the crafts and the costumes so fabulously, but you know you're making the rest of us just look bad, right? ;) (But I just can't look away from their blogs and photos!)

My positive spin on it is this: my older DD wants store bought everything so it would be awful if I was actually any good at this home-made stuff! She's mortified that her parents make her birthday cake, and would even think about making her costume. So good thing I don't have all that talent to waste! ;)

sidmand
09-23-2013, 03:20 PM
My mom used to make our Halloween costumes every year and all I ever wanted was a store-bought costume! The same thing with food. She baked/cooked everything and I would go to my friends' houses to get mac & cheese from a box (delicious!). You always tend to want what's on the other side!

egoldber
09-23-2013, 03:42 PM
We take the Sandra Lee approach to Halloween. It's semi homemade. ;)

For example, last year older DD was a witch and younger DD was her black cat familiar. They came up with the idea themselves. For older DD, we bought a $1 witch hat from the Target One spot and a "costume" broom. She wore a black shirt and skirt over colorful leggings and black boots. (All of which she already had.) For younger DD we bought a cheap set of ears and tails from the costume section of the party store and then she wore black pants and a black turtleneck. We drew whiskers on her face. Presto, two instant costumes all for less than $10. :)

We've done similar things in the past and sometimes they just wear something they already own (like a dress up dress or a ballerina/dance costume).

Tondi G
09-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Just an fyi ... my neighbors little girl was Pippi one year and they did her braids and put some wire to make them stand up. Before we went out to trick or treat, we wove a couple of orange glow stick bracelets through the braids. People loved it and it made her more visible crossing the streets in the dark!

Oh my gosh, I need her number quick! I'm already hyperventilating at the thought of having to think up a pippi longstocking costume for DD. Why, oh why did I have to read those books to her?

Tondi G
09-24-2013, 02:05 PM
I can't sew. I do have really hard to fit kids and we have had to get creative with Halloween costumes. When DS1 was Indiana Jones we had to find a pair of brown pants and a khaki shirt at the thrift store. Bought the hat, satchel and whip at the Halloween store to accessorize. He was thrilled! When he wanted to be a soldier/army man .... none of the costumes would fit ... kids sizes were too small and adults were too large! We ended up at an army surplus store .. again he was thrilled.

I will say that my DH went nuts the year DS wanted to be a Ghostbuster. We have a Proton pack still knocking around in the toy closet. It was really awesome... lights and everything. There were grown men on the street stopping my DS and talking to his dad about the pack!

Sometimes it is fun to be able to get crafty and creative .... but there is something so nice about walking into a Halloween store and having your kid pick out a $20 ninja costume (and being totally excited about it)!

lkoala
09-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Just an fyi ... my neighbors little girl was Pippi one year and they did her braids and put some wire to make them stand up. Before we went out to trick or treat, we wove a couple of orange glow stick bracelets through the braids. People loved it and it made her more visible crossing the streets in the dark!

That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing! Definitely beats DD's idea of dyeing her hair red... Now to figure out the clothes!

Tondi G
09-24-2013, 07:41 PM
That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing! Definitely beats DD's idea of dyeing her hair red... Now to figure out the clothes!

A striped shirt and striped tights or knee socks (tights are good if it is cold where you live) and then a denim jumper/dress. Our neighbor actually made a little dress .. like a pillowcase style. patched a couple of striped squares on it... it was super cute. http://www.coolmummy.co.uk/bigandlittleartist/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pillowcase_dress_project.jpg

something like this but imagine just a solid blue and then some colorful little patches on it
http://www.etsy.com/listing/70243723/childrens-pillowcase-dress-black-and?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=childrens+pillowcase+dresses&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto4&ga_search_type=all

ahisma
09-24-2013, 08:26 PM

Just say no to the hair dye, LOL! I did that one year. DS1 was a newborn and I totally dropped the ball on getting a wig for DD's Annie costume. She had been an only child until then and was 8, so I was feeling super guilty. Somehow in my postpartum haze, I decided it was easier / quicker to use temporary dye from the corner store than to go buy a wig. It didn't wash out for months! Who dyes their 8 year old's hair? Oops!

lkoala
09-24-2013, 09:14 PM
A striped shirt and striped tights or knee socks (tights are good if it is cold where you live) and then a denim jumper/dress. Our neighbor actually made a little dress .. like a pillowcase style. patched a couple of striped squares on it... it was super cute. http://www.coolmummy.co.uk/bigandlittleartist/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pillowcase_dress_project.jpg

something like this but imagine just a solid blue and then some colorful little patches on it
http://www.etsy.com/listing/70243723/childrens-pillowcase-dress-black-and?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=childrens+pillowcase+dresses&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto4&ga_search_type=all

I think i have a denim dress/tunic that might work if DD hasn't outgrown it... Otherwise i will check out consignment shops for a denim or blue dress like the ones you linked to. I think we may have a Pippi yet!

lkoala
09-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Just say no to the hair dye, LOL! I did that one year. DS1 was a newborn and I totally dropped the ball on getting a wig for DD's Annie costume. She had been an only child until then and was 8, so I was feeling super guilty. Somehow in my postpartum haze, I decided it was easier / quicker to use temporary dye from the corner store than to go buy a wig. It didn't wash out for months! Who dyes their 8 year old's hair? Oops!

Hey at least you had a good excuse! I was just thinking a wig but the glowstick idea sounds much better if we can pull it off... DD has very fine straight hair... Totally unlike my rats nest which is doing a fine job standing up without any help today.

flashy09
09-25-2013, 01:25 PM
People MAKE Halloween costumes?? Wow. I thought I was Halloween supermom because I am already starting to look online for the costume, lol.

maestramommy
09-26-2013, 12:00 PM
You gotta let it go. Maybe it's just her thing?

I spend a fair amount of time on Halloween costumes (starting the month before), but I don't have the brain cells to think of a group theme (assuming my Dh would even be caught dead in a Pooh costume!), and my main motivation is to spend as little money as possible, lol. Yes, I pay for it in labor, but that's the way my brain works. DD1 is Mulan this year. I found a pink "satiny" bathrobe at Savers a and bought remnants at Jo-Ann's for the sash. DD2 is Belle before, and I found 2 pillowcases in the PERFECT blue to make the jumper (again at Savers, I'm starting to love that place). DD3 is Ponyo, someone from an FB yard sale GAVE me a dress that I'm going to tweak, and I'm making white bloomers from white felt remnants. All this is costing some time because I'm not really a seamstress, I just have a sewing machine. But I'm spending $15 total for all 3 costumes, and they can actually wear them for dressup if they want.