PDA

View Full Version : NYT: "Can emotional intelligence be taught" very interesting article

hillview
09-12-2013, 08:57 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/15/magazine/can-emotional-intelligence-be-taught.html?pagewanted=1&ref=general&src=me

not done with this yet (long article) but very interesting.

happymomma
09-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks! This will be an interesting read.

bisous
09-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Gonna read this for sure! 40 minutes and counting til bedtime (for the kids that is!). :)

elliput
09-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Very interesting. I was definitely reading it with my DD in mind, and how social and emotional skills are taught to children with autism.

Giantbear
09-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Interesting article, but i think puts too little emphasis on what happens at home and a parents role in helping a child develop emotional maturity.

citymama
09-13-2013, 03:27 AM
bookmarking. thanks!

maestramommy
09-13-2013, 08:40 AM
I wasn't able to read the whole thing yet, but it was very interesting. I agree with Giantbear (if I understand you correctly). The opening anecdote was about something that happened at home (how many of us cringed? I know I did) but the school is teaching the kids?

This sounds a little like the Kelso the Frog curriculum our school guidance counselor teaches with the kids.

egoldber
09-13-2013, 09:38 AM
This was the basic idea behind the social skills curriculum that my older DD did in 4th grade. It was a year long "class" that addressed many of these topics with the girls. It was really one of the most valuable things we have done for her and one of the therapy/interventions I am very glad we did, even in retrospect and even though it was THE most expensive. The class was based on this book: http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Your-Childs-Social-IQ/dp/0966036689/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379079353&sr=1-1&keywords=cathi+cohen

I do worry about programs like this being implemented by teachers without proper training. I can think of some teachers who I would cringe at the idea of their doing this in their classrooms. But others would have been great at it, so maybe it all balances out. I do think that these intangible skills are very important and some kids need to be taught this as explicitly as they are taught how to set up an algebra equation.