PDA

View Full Version : mild shampoo without all the chemicals

Sweetum
09-13-2013, 06:55 PM
I went to a hairdresser recently and he had some things to say about my hair :(
One was that I am using a very harsh shampoo and conditioner. I am currently using L'Oreal everstrong. I knew always that it wasn't a good fit for my hair, but didn't realize that it was really drying it up causing dicoloration at the ends. So, I need recommendation for a good mild shampoo and conditioner that does not have all the yucky chemicals. thanks!

LMPC
09-13-2013, 07:12 PM
I like Jason brand. I find it at Whole Foods. It's pretty mild. Also, are you washing your hair too much? I starting washing my hair 2-3x a week and that has really improved it. :)

SnuggleBuggles
09-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Whole Foods brand shampoo and conditioner.

fedoragirl
09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
I use anything with Aubrey Organics but you could browse on sites like vitacost, lucky vitamin, iherb etc. and see what the reviews say. I also like Avalon Organics Biotin shampoo. But the only thing that has consistently helped my very dry hair has been using hot oil treatment. I use coconut oil in the summer and argan oil (very sparingly) in the winter.

larig
09-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Deva Curl products--low poo and no poo are very gentle. Good for curly, dry or colored hair.

Sweetum
09-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Thank you, all. I already wash 2x a week. My hair has not ever been colored, is straight, but styled and blowdried and ironed several times.

wellyes
09-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Jeez, it's not like Everstrong is full of harsh detergents...

I've been using the Honest Co shampoo/body wash (from Costco) with the kids. It's plant based and very safe for color treated hair. I laughted when I read that quinoa was an ingredient. But it's been really mild on my kids skin & hair, so it might be a good choice for you.

123LuckyMom
09-13-2013, 09:02 PM
DH uses the Free and Clear shampoo and likes it. I still use my Wella Brilliance, but I've also been using the Free and Clear conditioner, and I LOVE it!!! It does a great job of conditioning while still rinsing very clean. I highly recommend it! (We get ours behind the pharmacy counter in our supermarket. DH did originally have a prescription for it, but I doubt you need one.)

MontrealMum
09-13-2013, 10:17 PM
I like Giovanni. Avalon Organics is nice too.

Sweetum
09-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Jeez, it's not like Everstrong is full of harsh detergents...

sorry, not what I meant. I am currently using everstrong since it does not have sulfates, but now need to move and want a similar/better product but mild.

citymama
09-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Another Giovanni fan. I use the 50:50 balanced shampoo and conditioner that I buy at drugstore.com or on one occasion, Costco!

stinkyfeet
09-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Why don't you try integrating co-washing into your routine?

The idea is that you use a silicone-free conditioner wash your scalp and hair. This is the sane idea behind Wen, but the DIY is much cheaper. Some popular conditioners to use include V05, Suave, and Tresseme naturals. I use TJ's tea tree tingle because I get scalp itchies. It's good that these conditioners are cheap because you have to use a lot more product than you would if you use traditional shampoo. I actually prefer TJ's Tea Tree Tingle ($3.99?) to Wen ($30?) because Wen leaves a sticky residue on my hair--I think this is caused by the silicones in it.

It might take some time for your hair to adjust, so give it a few tries before you give up. I've seen a full-sized V05 on sale for $0.99 at the grocery store, so if it doesn't end up working for you, you are not out much money!

Good Luck!

llama8
09-14-2013, 07:49 AM
I like Yes to Carrots and Alba for natural shampoo and conditioners. They are pretty chemical free and not pricey.

Globetrotter
09-14-2013, 09:29 AM
The yes to carrots line is good. I'm also a fan of co-washing for dry hair. It sounds weird but it works!

brittone2
09-14-2013, 10:03 AM
My favorites are Giovanni and ShiKai.

urquie
09-14-2013, 12:05 PM
After trying a few brands (and returning them) from whole foods, I'm happily using Costco's Kirkland brand of shampoo and conditioner. Love them... and the price!

Kirkland Signature Professional Salon Formula Moisture Shampoo 33.8 Ounce Bottle
For healthier, softer, shinier looking hair. Moisture nutrient complex.
Made with pure organic extracts.
Safe for color treated hair.
Sulfate free, 100% vegan, Paraben free, and gluten free.

wellyes
09-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Surprising lesson of this thread- you can return opened shampoo to Whole Foods!

MMMommy
09-14-2013, 11:33 PM
After trying a few brands (and returning them) from whole foods, I'm happily using Costco's Kirkland brand of shampoo and conditioner. Love them... and the price!

Kirkland Signature Professional Salon Formula Moisture Shampoo 33.8 Ounce Bottle
For healthier, softer, shinier looking hair. Moisture nutrient complex.
Made with pure organic extracts.
Safe for color treated hair.
Sulfate free, 100% vegan, Paraben free, and gluten free.

:yeahthat: Our family uses this now. Good value.

urquie
09-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Surprising lesson of this thread- you can return opened shampoo to Whole Foods!. :rotflmao:

Tondi G
09-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Our whole family uses Giovanni Eco Chic line. http://www.giovannicosmetics.com/products/category.asp?prodtype=HAIR CARE&cat=ECO CHIC

started with the 50:50 balance but switched to the more moisturizing one recently.

Kindra178
09-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Body Shop's Banana Shampoo is my current favorite. It is not natural, despite the name. It is very mild and smells great. I have a ton of environmental allergies and natural shampoos make me itch.

twowhat?
09-15-2013, 11:40 AM
I wash my hair with dog shampoo as a special treat, hahaha. Cloud Star's Buddy Wash. It's amazing and uses a coconut oil based surfactant. But it's not cheap!

stinkyfeet
09-16-2013, 11:17 AM
I wash my hair with dog shampoo as a special treat, hahaha. Cloud Star's Buddy Wash. It's amazing and uses a coconut oil based surfactant. But it's not cheap!

That's really funny! How did you manage to find this shampoo? Did someone recommend it for your dog, and you just decided to try it on yourself one day?

twowhat?
09-16-2013, 11:35 AM
That's really funny! How did you manage to find this shampoo? Did someone recommend it for your dog, and you just decided to try it on yourself one day?

The employees of the company (Cloud Star) have said that they use it on their own hair. And it smells divine so one day I tried it. It's amazing. It's the best dog shampoo too...it really makes our dogs so soft and huggable, and I even think the dogs like it! They are much more calm during baths!