PDA

View Full Version : Menu help please

DietCokeLover
09-13-2013, 08:52 PM
I am having a "We're closing the pool tomorrow" party on Sunday afternoon. I invited two other families over to swim and eat dinner - potluck kind of style. Anyway, I want something easy that does not require time in the kitchen so we can all hang out by the pool. I was thinking sub type sandwiches would be easy to manage. I'd love to have some yummy dip for chips (recipes welcome!), but what else? I need some inspiration.

There will be 6 adults and 7 kids (aged 10 to 4).

acmom
09-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Subs sound good, as does a chip and dip. Are you looking for a hot or cold dip? I would also probably do some cut fruit or fruit salad, along with some cut veggies and dip or a salad. Usually both kids and adults will eat some of that.

mikala
09-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Your post immediately reminded me of this favorite. Someone posted it here last year and wow. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mary-alices-hoagie-dip-recipe/index.html

KpbS
09-13-2013, 11:40 PM
I would do a fruit salad with watermelon, grapes (halved), and plums and maybe a corn salsa? I can send you the corn salsa recipe if you like. :) It's easy and yummy.

babyonway
09-14-2013, 08:47 AM
I would do a fruit salad with watermelon, grapes (halved), and plums and maybe a corn salsa? I can send you the corn salsa recipe if you like. :) It's easy and yummy.

Can u post the corn salsa recipe? Pretty please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

KpbS
09-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Sure thing. :)

Corn Salsa

4-5 cups of corn (you can use fresh steamed cut off the cob or frozen, defrosted, heated and drained)
1 Vidalia onion cut into 1/2 inch
1 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 1/4 c. red or yellow bell pepper
3/4 c. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper

Steam or defrost (and drain well) corn while sauteing the onion. After the corn and onion cool, combine the vegetables with the all of the seasonings and let them chill for at least 30, preferably an hour or more. Serve with corn tortilla chips or as a side salad. Enjoy!

anamika
09-14-2013, 02:01 PM
This Alton Brown Onion dip (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/onion-dip-from-scratch-recipe/index.html)recipe is superb. It has been devoured every time I make it.
Have fun - what a great way to end summer!

DietCokeLover
09-14-2013, 04:09 PM
I decided to go with homemade salsa - my number one dangerous food!

MMMommy
09-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Quinoa salad, pasta salad, macaroni salad, or potato salad might be nice.

fedoragirl
09-14-2013, 08:08 PM
I decided to go with homemade salsa - my number one dangerous food!

Could you post your homemade salsa recipe? We don't get salsa here and I can't cart back heavy glass jars of salsa and I crave it so much.

Momit
09-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Could you post your homemade salsa recipe? We don't get salsa here and I can't cart back heavy glass jars of salsa and I crave it so much.

I feel your pain! When you do find salsa there, it's like ketchup! :)

Momit
09-14-2013, 08:51 PM

I feel your pain! When you do find salsa there, it's like ketchup! :) No joke I would have DH bring back cans of RoTel tomatoes and good tortilla chips!

DietCokeLover
09-14-2013, 11:18 PM

I use Pioneer Woman's salsa recipe. Easy and yummy!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/