PDA

View Full Version : Worse houseguest in the world

alleycat
09-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Mil is sitting in the living room skyping with a friend, the conversation is extremely loud. Doesn't matter that the kids are trying to sleep. She'll quiet down for a bit but then the volume starts to go up again. Oh, and she has the TV on and she's holding onto the remote. Just freaking rude. This isn't your home lady!

This afternoon she gave DD1 and DD2 a toy that both DH And I told her last night that they were not allowed to have. It has small pegs that I know they won't clean up and it'll be scattered all over the floor where DD3 will eventually pick them up and put in her mouth. So now I'm the bad guy because I had to tell them to give it back.

DH thinks his mom is a big help when she visits. She went shopping for five hours instead of spending time with her grandkids. Came back right before DH usually gets home. I'm sure she only came back so it would seem to DH that she was home all that time helping.

And why doesn't she have to comment about everything!?! And why does she have to repeat everything I say to the kids? :mad:

georgiegirl
09-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you deserve a margarita! She sounds lovely. And don't you just love how DHs think their moms are so great but in reality they are far from it! How much longer is she staying with you?

KrisM
09-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Sounds awful. I hope it's a short visit.

BunnyBee
09-13-2013, 10:53 PM
It's a real shame your internet just went out! Oh, it got unplugged? How. Weird.

It's also a shame the remote will get misplaced tomorrow too.

elliput
09-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Go take command of that remote. She's either Skyping or watching TV, not both. Didn't her mom teach her any manners?

alleycat
09-13-2013, 11:18 PM
She gives a day's notice before arriving, stays a night or two. Doesn't actually tell us when she plans to leave, of course. It's usually a short but painful visit.

I finally couldn't take it and told her to quiet down. She took her iPad to the basement. I can still hear her but at least the kids can't.

I used to hide the phone. She's on the phone nonstop. When it rings, she would run to answer it. Again, it's not her home so if I'm not answering because it's a telemarketer, why is she? Maybe I can hide her iPad so she can't Skype. She's always checking our mailbox too. :confused:

StantonHyde
09-13-2013, 11:46 PM
It's a real shame your internet just went out! Oh, it got unplugged? How. Weird.

It's also a shame the remote will get misplaced tomorrow too.

a big giant Yeah That!!!!

elliput
09-14-2013, 09:48 AM
This sounds like she's bored. Doesn't she have any real hobbies? Bugging the piss out of you doesn't count.

KLD313
09-14-2013, 11:02 AM
She sounds really annoying and checking the mailbox would push me ofer the edge. Sounds like she has boundaries.

alleycat
09-14-2013, 11:55 AM
She has no hobbies nor does she have any real friends. Her entire life revolved around her children and she can't let go. She spends her time sticking her nose into their business. DH is forty years old and she's still telling him what he should or should not do and eat.

She just left but not before giving the kids a bunch of cr@p. Of course she didn't tell me about the stuff. I just happened to see the pile and asked what it was since she didn't pack it up. She got mad when I told her I didn't want any of it. It was all useless school supplies. School started two weeks ago so the kids have their supplies already. And it may look cute but it was junk and nothing they needed. I've told her many times not to buy them things. It's never anything they need and it's always cheap junk. Of course now DH is mad because I've made his mother upset since I was not appreciative. Our home is cluttered enough. I'm the one that has to clean and find a place for everything. So, no, I'm not going to appreciate it when someone totally disregards our (he's told her not to buy "gifts" for them as well) requests.

hellokitty
09-14-2013, 08:01 PM
I think you need to start a long list of things for her to do for you while she is at your place. It will keep her busy and dissuade her from these visits. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

elliput
09-14-2013, 08:35 PM
She just left but not before giving the kids a bunch of cr@p.
Since she's gone she will never know it ended up in the trash bin tonight. :)

tabegle
09-16-2013, 04:19 PM
I couldn't read this and not reply... I am so sorry! My MIL sounds very similar to yours. In the past, I have resorted to putting my mail on a vacation hold. Hopefully your MIL gives enough advanced notice for that. Maybe have a little fun at her expense and change the wifi password?

crayonblue
09-16-2013, 05:32 PM
She's always checking our mailbox too. :confused:

I think this is an older generation thing. When my in-laws lived with us for a winter, they wanted to check the mail every single day. If I forgot one day, they were very concerned there might be something in the mailbox they needed! Granted their mail was being forwarded to our house but it isn't like checking the mail is an emergency!!!! I finally gave MIL my mail key and told her to have at it.