PDA

View Full Version : Peanut-free but good protein snacks?

PunkyBoo
09-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Punkin has low blood sugar and needs protein-rich snacks at recess. He had always eaten various granola bars but this year there is a boy in his class with a peanut allergy. Punkin doesn't want to avoid that boy when he eats his snack (they have a peanut table but Punkin doesn't want to worry about where he sits) so I need other ideas for healthy, easy, quick-to-eat snacks. Are there peanut free granola bars that are yummy? Other nuts are fine (I have discussed it with the mom) just no peanuts. Any other ideas that fit the bill and don't require being kept cold?

ang79
09-13-2013, 11:33 PM
What times is recess? Could you freeze a yogurt tube (greek yogurt has more protein than regular) and then it will be partially thawed by recess? If he can take other nuts, how about a snack bag w/ trail mix using other nuts? My DD2 (and me) love to snack on almonds w/ craisins. Individual packs of hummus w/ pretzels or crackers, or cheese and crackers?

justlearning
09-13-2013, 11:33 PM
What type of granola bars were you using before? They probably carry other bars in that line that don't contain peanuts. From your description, it sounds like he would be allowed to sit by the boy if his bars said "may contain traces of nuts" or "manufactured in a plant (or on equipment) with nuts." If so, you should be able to many bars without peanuts. Zone Perfect bars are one example and Target carries lots of flavors without peanuts.

Does you DS like hummus? Costco sells them in small containers that are perfect for a snack combined with veggie or crackers and they don't have to be refrigerated.

Sams Club (and I believe Costco) sell trail mix that has only almonds and cashews, no other nuts, along with dried fruit and little yogurt chips.

ETA that another option is anything using the butters other than peanut butter (e.g., almond butter, sunbutter, cashew butter, soynut butter). You could give him a sandwich with that for a snack or make ants on a log.

crl
09-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Hard boiled egg
beef jerky
salami

Catherine

elbenn
09-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Ips Chips are egg white chips and have a decent amount of protein. I'm not sure where they are sold in B&M stores so you could try them--maybe Whole Foods? http://www.amazon.com/Ips-The-Original-White-Chips/dp/B00CEXYZS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379162099&sr=8-1&keywords=ips+chips

acmom
09-14-2013, 08:35 AM
We have been looking for the same thing- decent granola bar without nuts! No luck yet - I have found a few with "may contain nuts", but I don't know if that's ok so I haven't sent them.

My DS likes somersaults (a snack made of sunflower seeds w/ roared grains that have 6grams of protein per snack bag. Our target carries them (along with grocery store) and they come in several flavors. DH and I like the Santa Fe salsa (little spicy) and DS likes sea salt. They also have a new sweet one- cinnamon crunch which we haven't tried yet.

Besides that, we do yogurt, string cheese, turkey pepperoni stick, snapeas and triscuits a lot for snacks that have some protein.

HTH!

AnnieW625
09-14-2013, 09:19 AM
What about doing a higher protein breakfast? and the doing something like a Cliff Z Bar for kids for snack. My girls love the fig bars from Trader Joe's.

BunnyBee
09-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Lara bars have other nuts
Cheese--sticks, cubes, little Babybells
Edamame

If it doesn't have to be packaged, sub Sunbutter or almond butter for PB in your favorite granola bar recipe. Or make homemade Lara bar balls (lots of recipes online--purée dates and nuts in food processor).

Other butter with celery sticks or apple slices

Box of plain milk

Non-peanut trail mix

almostamom
09-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Cascadian Farms granola bars are nut free.

alirebco
09-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Enjoy Life sunbutter bars are nut free
Beef jerky