PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Loestrin 24 FE is discontinued

MSWR0319
09-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Just in case anyone is on it and didn't know. They have discontinued it. I just went to get my refill and they told me they didn't have any, which posed a problem since I needed it tomorrow. I obviously wasn't going to call my dr for a new prescription on a Sunday. Luckily I called the Walmart pharmacy and they had a few in stock still. I"m a bit bummed because I'm really struggling finding a BC that I like. Most of them make me moody and this one wasn't. I was having about a week or so of spotting but I still had another month to adjust before they would change it and it did seem to be getting lighter each month. Grr.

speo
09-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Microgestin is the generic form and has the same concentrations. I switched with no problem. It's much cheaper too.

MSWR0319
09-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Microgestin is the generic form and has the same concentrations. I switched with no problem. It's much cheaper too.

Thanks! The pharmacist told me the generic wasn't out till the beginning of next year. Did you have to get a new prescription?

speo
09-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks! The pharmacist told me the generic wasn't out till the beginning of next year. Did you have to get a new prescription?

I needed a new prescription anyways, so yes I got one. I don't know if it is necessary. If you have a terrible prescription plan like I do, you can get 3 packs at Costco for $45.

MSWR0319
09-14-2013, 05:41 PM
I needed a new prescription anyways, so yes I got one. I don't know if it is necessary. If you have a terrible prescription plan like I do, you can get 3 packs at Costco for $45.

Thanks so much! We actually have awesome coverage right now ($0) for BC, but DH's company is moving to an HSA at the beginning of the year and it'll be ugly. Glad to know about Costco. We're getting one next month.

Indianamom2
09-14-2013, 07:30 PM
I had the same problem...and had to drive to a pharmacy about 40 min. away and buy and extra pack out of pocket ($100+) because my stupid insurance co. wouldn't fill it early since we are going to be on vacation when I needed my next refill.

I need to call to get a new Rx.

indigo99
09-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Generess Fe is a newer one to try. I tried the Lo and felt sick all the time as if I were pregnant. I had breakthrough bleeding with the Lolo. I just finished my first pack of the generess with no problems at all. It was a sample though, and there's a discount card for it so I don't know how much it costs yet.

rachelh
09-15-2013, 09:21 AM
I am also on Microgestin instead of Loestrin because of the incompetent mail order pharmacy I need to use. I think another similar one is Junel/Junel Fe.