PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, Winter Coats

3blackcats
09-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Even though I don't want to think about it, I need to. I need to find DD#1 a winter coat. She's in Junior Kindergarten (4.5yo).
I'm looking for:
-Easy to do up
-Warm! Canadian Winters ;-)
-Not too bulky, she will be using it to play outside at recess and will need to get it on herself.

Any suggestions?

fedoragirl
09-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I don't know if German winters compare to Canadian ones but I usually dress the kids in Hanna coats or Lands End. They have been plenty warm.

Kindra178
09-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Patagonia.

Neatfreak
09-15-2013, 05:42 PM
I've also been looking for a winter coat for my daughter. Our front-runner is the Snowfield Parka from LL Bean - free shipping to Canada! In the past we've ordered their Katadin model, but this year is looks like it's shorter than parka-length. We've also had excellent children's coats from Lands End. I was looking on the MEC website this morning and their Patagonia coats looked similar, but they were a lot more expensive.

Kindra178
09-15-2013, 06:05 PM
We tried the Snowfield last year and had a terrible time with the zippers. I should have believed the multiple reviews.

Neatfreak
09-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Really? The average rating was 4.8 out of 5 and the only mention of the zippers in the first six pages of reviews (I was too lazy to go back further) was about it being easy to manage!

Kindra178
09-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Last year there were a ton!

Kindra178
09-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Read the boy reviews. Several mentions of zippers in the first few reviews.

Neatfreak
09-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Ah, mystery solved!

3blackcats
09-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks all. I will be purchasing in the U.S. b&m or online are both options :) More selection and cheaper.

Zippers are what worry me. In junior kindergarten they are expected to do up their own coats and snowpants.

Mommy_Mea
09-15-2013, 09:09 PM
DS1 has the boy's version of this:

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/toddlers-2t-4t-jackets-amp-vests/toddler-girls-39-reversible-perrito-jacket_2.html?from=subCat

It is comfortable, flexible and easy for him to zipper.

vtmom
09-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Our go to is Patagonia though we've had some hand me down Lands End and LLBean. I love Patagonia's repair policy; the'll repair a jacket if seams, etc come undone free of charge. This has allowed us to pass fleece jackets and down jackets down from DD1 to DD2 without a problem. And the resale value on those jackets is great!

Kindra178
09-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Our go to is Patagonia though we've had some hand me down Lands End and LLBean. I love Patagonia's repair policy; the'll repair a jacket if seams, etc come undone free of charge. This has allowed us to pass fleece jackets and down jackets down from DD1 to DD2 without a problem. And the resale value on those jackets is great!

The Chicago store actually replaces a coat if you take it back with zipper problems. They also buy back coats and resell them in their store. I do like LE fleeces and clothes, I just find their Squall Parkas very boxy and run huge, especially on thin kids.

Simon
09-15-2013, 10:56 PM
We like down coats best, unless they'll be doing hours of playing in wet snow. Ds2 had an REI down coat last year that was super warm without being bulky and held up well to snow play. He gets chilled very easily and the LE and LLB parkas we had weren't warm enough for him although they had been great for Ds1. We also have down coats from LE (similar to this (http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-434254_AD.html?amp;CM_MERCH=REC-_-FPPP-_-GGT-_-10-_-434254-_-418913))but I think they started at a size 4 and have an attached hood. The REI coat has a stand up collar but no hood. It looks very similar to this one (http://www.rei.com/product/852295/rei-big-brr-down-jacket-boys) but I'm certain I didn't pay more than $30 during a sale last October.

azzeps
09-15-2013, 11:01 PM
We have has coats from Hanna andersson that I loved. They have snaps and zippers. I think they are called journeys end. I was lucky and found them both at a resale shop. Not sure if they meet the warmth criterion for Canada though!

Neatfreak
09-15-2013, 11:08 PM
I do like LE fleeces and clothes, I just find their Squall Parkas very boxy and run huge, especially on thin kids.

Yeah, the Squall seems to have been redesigned - it fit differently when my nine year-old was much younger!

MontrealMum
09-15-2013, 11:27 PM
DS has had LE parka/snow pants every year since his very first winter (when he was only 4 mos). They keep changing the darn styles and names, but I just buy whatever rates the warmest and I also always go waterproof. I've found that you really can't beat their prices if you buy with a discount code even if you count the duty/taxes, and it's always free shipping to Canada these days. They also hold up really well. I did check the Co-op the first few years but they really can't compete with the features-for-price that LE offers. Also, as an adult wearer of Co-op clothes, sure, they're good enough and I own quite a few, but they often fit oddly, don't last, and don't have all the features you might want. So, you're left choosing between Patagonia (super spendy Canadian prices, rarely goes on sale) or the house brand, which, as I said, really isn't all that great. And Patagonia is one of those brands that won't ship to Canada from the US, so if you see it on sale at REI or something you're out of luck unless you can have it shipped to someone in the US. It's to protect the Canadian retailers of the brand.

We just received our Expedition (waterproof) down parka and Waterproof Squall snow bibs last week. DS has been able to do up his LE jackets on his own since he was about 4.

If you're looking for Canadian brands and don't mind paying more, take a look at Chlorophylle. They're based here in QC and they make amazing, gorgeous, super warm things. But they cost the earth. Ok, not Kanuk or Canada Goose, but still, a lot more than LE/LLB. I've scored a few times with sales, but I've never bought anything as pricey as a coat. My most amazing and warmest-ever mitts are from them - and they were $60 ON SALE! I think they're $120 full price.