PDA

View Full Version : What should we plan for arrival day?

KrisM
09-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Our flight gets in at 2:15 to MCO. We shouldn't be super tired, since we opted to take the slightly later flight that leaves at 11:45am, so not leaving our house until 8:30 or so. Anyway, I'm not sure what to plan. I'm guessing we'll be able to check in by 4pm or so (POR). It seems late for a park, so maybe a fun dining somewhere?

123LuckyMom
09-15-2013, 05:39 PM
That's what I'd do. I'd plan a character meal for that night or do some other special dinner. It's fun to ride the monorail and go visit the different resorts to see the theming. You might also want to do something like Cirque du Soleil at Downtown Disney.

hillview
09-15-2013, 05:59 PM
fun dinner, downtown disney if you wanted to

megs4413
09-15-2013, 06:00 PM
You could do a night at Downtown Disney. Raglan Road is a really fun dinner spot there.

Personally, I think a great fireworks view after a fun dinner is a nice way to kick off a trip for a late arrival, so I'd be tempted to settle in at POR and then head to the TTC and catch the monorail to a resort with a view of Wishes. Eat dinner at the resort and then pick out a spot on the grounds to view the show....the beach if you're at the Poly or GF. you could also head to the TTC and take a bus to AKL to eat and view the animals with the night goggles and everything. that's really fun, too.

KrisM
09-15-2013, 06:18 PM
I like the fireworks idea. We were going to skip downtown Disney, but maybe that makes sense that night. I was thinking maybe Hoop de doo Revue?

megs4413
09-15-2013, 06:21 PM
I like the fireworks idea. We were going to skip downtown Disney, but maybe that makes sense that night. I was thinking maybe Hoop de doo Revue?

You know I've never done HDDR, but I know people really like it.

Are you on the DDP? I'd check for ressies at a prime fireworks location. Obviously the coolest is California Grill, but it's pricey and has limited availability because it's so cool. Ohana is another killer one, but any of the restaurants at GF and the Poly will do for views after dinner. Let me know if I can help at all. :)

KrisM
09-15-2013, 06:57 PM
You know I've never done HDDR, but I know people really like it.

Are you on the DDP? I'd check for ressies at a prime fireworks location. Obviously the coolest is California Grill, but it's pricey and has limited availability because it's so cool. Ohana is another killer one, but any of the restaurants at GF and the Poly will do for views after dinner. Let me know if I can help at all. :)

I have the DDP booked, but am unsure if we'll keep it. I'm working on a plan now, since my 180 days is in early October. I want to have plan by then to make reservations that day. I'm sure I'll change things, but hope to get the ones I really want set then.

hellokitty
09-15-2013, 07:38 PM
If you are taking magical express, it will most likely be 4:30 by the time you get your room. I'd do downtown Disney for dinner and they have a very cool lego store if your kids are into that. Plus lots of great stores. Wolfgang Puck cafe (the counter service) is our fav quick service to go to. I've also heard great things about earl of sandwich, which is also quick service. My kids also loved dinosaur. Reservations for dinosaur are easy to get. You have to call them directly though for a reservation, don't try disney's ADR system, you won't get anywhere with that particular restaurant. They are not a Disney owned. Then I'd retire early for the night and make rope drop the next day.

Oh and check the weather. The boat ride back to POR can be very chilly, since you are on the water. I always dragged sweatshirts with us, for the boat ride back at night.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

megs4413
09-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I have the DDP booked, but am unsure if we'll keep it. I'm working on a plan now, since my 180 days is in early October. I want to have plan by then to make reservations that day. I'm sure I'll change things, but hope to get the ones I really want set then.

if you have the wiggle room in your DDP credits (it takes two), I would HANDS DOWN book a california grill ressie for arrival night so you can view the fireworks there. I wish I still had a link to my TR when we did that (our first ever visit on our travel day). It was one of the most magical moments of my life. I am not kidding.

brittone2
09-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Megs, did you eat early and come back, eat after, or were your reservations for during the show? I am playing around and there is one night where we could still get either 5pm or 9:15pm reservations when Wishes is going. Is a night that coincides with Wishes what I should be checking for?

If we stay at the Polynesian, is it worth it to do CA Grill to view them? It looks like there aren't many nights with the Wishes show. I don't know how many of the shows are visible from the Poly.

I guess I need that guide book before I drive you all freaking nuts.

egoldber
09-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Beth, the downside to going in December is that the firework shows are not offered as often as they are in busier seasons. Also, the parks close earlier.

KrisM, how many days are your park tickets? If it were me, I would consider going to a park and doing a few low key things and seeing a firework show.

KrisM
09-15-2013, 08:59 PM
if you have the wiggle room in your DDP credits (it takes two), I would HANDS DOWN book a california grill ressie for arrival night so you can view the fireworks there. I wish I still had a link to my TR when we did that (our first ever visit on our travel day). It was one of the most magical moments of my life. I am not kidding.

Right now, we have quite a bit of wiggle room. I'm kind of having a hard time sketching out days and dining and am thinking I want to do as few table service meals as possible, just so we have more flexibility. So, we have 8 nights, and are thinking HDDR, Sci-Fi, Akershus, and Tusker House. That's only 5. Definitely have some room! I'll look into California Grill and maybe that would be a good one. I had though maybe Chef Mickey's but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to get good dinner reviews.

KrisM, how many days are your park tickets? If it were me, I would consider going to a park and doing a few low key things and seeing a firework show.

Right now, we have 7 day tickets. I didn't include the arrival day or departure day. I figure we can add them if we want to. It's only $50/day to add them, and I'm good with that. We arrive on a Saturday. Which park would you see?

megs4413
09-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Right now, we have quite a bit of wiggle room. I'm kind of having a hard time sketching out days and dining and am thinking I want to do as few table service meals as possible, just so we have more flexibility. So, we have 8 nights, and are thinking HDDR, Sci-Fi, Akershus, and Tusker House. That's only 5. Definitely have some room! I'll look into California Grill and maybe that would be a good one. I had though maybe Chef Mickey's but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to get good dinner reviews.

Right now, we have 7 day tickets. I didn't include the arrival day or departure day. I figure we can add them if we want to. It's only $50/day to add them, and I'm good with that. We arrive on a Saturday. Which park would you see?

if you decide to add park tickets for just an evening, I would do Epcot personally so you can catch Illuminations. :)

egoldber
09-15-2013, 09:13 PM
I would also suggest Epcot. It's very pleasant to walk there at night and they have the show every night. Illuminations is my personal favorite fireworks show, so my recommendation is biased. :)

megs4413
09-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Megs, did you eat early and come back, eat after, or were your reservations for during the show? I am playing around and there is one night where we could still get either 5pm or 9:15pm reservations when Wishes is going. Is a night that coincides with Wishes what I should be checking for?

If we stay at the Polynesian, is it worth it to do CA Grill to view them? It looks like there aren't many nights with the Wishes show. I don't know how many of the shows are visible from the Poly.

I guess I need that guide book before I drive you all freaking nuts.

The trip, in which, we opened with CG was the one where we stayed at the Poly (and we had a theme park view room so we could see wishes from there!) so I PERSONALLY still think it's worth it. CG has really good food and has just undergone a renovation. We had a late ADR there so we were able to order our food and then exit to the viewing deck for the show. They made sure to time our food for when we were back at our table after the show...they're good about that. I would think that 5 might be a little early to plan to just hang around, but YMMV. Wishes went on every night of our stay despite being off-season. There's no guarantee, I guess, though. The only guarantee is if you go on a MVMCP night, in which case, you will ABSOLUTELY have Wishes. One extra special thing about the holiday season is the lighting of the castle as well.

here's party info:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/mvmcp.htm

I don't want to keep hijacking Kris' thread. LOL

megs4413
09-15-2013, 09:16 PM

CM doesn't get good dinner reviews for good reason! I would NOT plan on that! CG would be my choice if my budget/DDP credits allowed. the food is fantastic, the service is stellar, and the views are incredible. it's best on a wishes night, though, for sure.

the wdwinfo page for CG:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=105

KrisM
09-15-2013, 09:23 PM
CM doesn't get good dinner reviews for good reason! I would NOT plan on that! CG would be my choice if my budget/DDP credits allowed. the food is fantastic, the service is stellar, and the views are incredible. it's best on a wishes night, though, for sure.

the wdwinfo page for CG:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=105

Would you do CG and Wishes over going to Epcot?

KrisM
09-15-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't think DH would enjoy California Grill at all. I looked at the menu and I can't picture him ordering any of it. So, I don't think that would be a good start to vacation.

megs4413
09-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Would you do CG and Wishes over going to Epcot?

given that your DH won't like the food, NO! LOL There are some FANTASTIC dinner spots at the World Showcase in Epcot and Illuminations is not to be missed. I'd do that!

KrisM
09-15-2013, 09:40 PM
given that your DH won't like the food, NO! LOL There are some FANTASTIC dinner spots at the World Showcase in Epcot and Illuminations is not to be missed. I'd do that!

Yeah, I looked at the menu after asking the question :).

fivi2
09-16-2013, 08:49 AM
HDDR might be two credits - I would check. We didn't do the dining plan. We liked hddr but you have to pre pay. So if something happens to flight you are out of luck. (Have to cancel ahead of time) so I would be nervous doing it arrival day.

egoldber
09-16-2013, 08:56 AM
HDDR is indeed 2 credits.

If it were me, I know my kids are always anxious to just get there and get in a park. Epcot is good to start with because it is open late and there are fireworks every night. If you are there at a low crowd level season, you can often do a fair number of rides. Personally I would just wander around the World Showcase and eat at wherever appeals to you. :)

KrisM
09-16-2013, 02:22 PM
HDDR might be two credits - I would check. We didn't do the dining plan. We liked hddr but you have to pre pay. So if something happens to flight you are out of luck. (Have to cancel ahead of time) so I would be nervous doing it arrival day.

I had not thought of that. Great point and I'll cross HDDR off for the first night.

KrisM
09-16-2013, 02:24 PM
HDDR is indeed 2 credits.

If it were me, I know my kids are always anxious to just get there and get in a park. Epcot is good to start with because it is open late and there are fireworks every night. If you are there at a low crowd level season, you can often do a fair number of rides. Personally I would just wander around the World Showcase and eat at wherever appeals to you. :)

This might be best. Or, maybe even eat quickly at POR and then head over, depending on what time we are actually there and how hungry we are. It's medium levels of crowds. We are 2 weeks before Easter and Touring plans says a 6 for the day.

fivi2
09-16-2013, 09:32 PM
One trip we checked into Ft. Wilderness sometime around 2:00 and then went over to MK for the afternoon. We didn't plan to do any major rides - just looked at the Castle, watched the afternoon parade and the show in front of the castle. We were able to ride small world and a few other low crowd things.

I didn't really factor it into our park days (for ride planning purposes). But it was nice because our rope drop MK days I was set on us getting to whatever ride we needed to dash to. So it was nice to have time to wander and soak up the atmosphere without freaking out that the line for something was building.

Epcot could be a similar thing, but for my dds, disney is all about the magic kingdom. We like epcot (and AK) but it really is still all about the MK for us!

And we really did enjoy HDDR (dds liked it more than dh and I did, but it was fun), I would just be nervous about making it on arrival day. If you do go out there for HDDR one night, remember that anyone can go to the Chip and Dale campfire (s'mores - you have to pay for the kit unless you bring your own ingredients, a guy with a guitar, and Chip and Dale. low key, but the girls had fun.) and they show a movie after. You can also see some of Wishes from the Ft. W. beach. And that water parade. Not a spectacular view, but okay. Not sure how you would time it all....

WatchingThemGrow
09-16-2013, 10:12 PM
I would opt for dinner somewhere other than POR the first night. There are just a lot cooler places to eat. We do like riding the boat while staying at POR. That might be a fun thing to "ride" when you first arrive, although, I love the idea of watching the water parade after dinner. You know, we tried really hard to stay until dark at Animal Kingdom this summer. We so wanted to do the night vision goggles. There's a fair amount of bus travel between PO and AKL, and you have to shuttle to Epcot as a midway point on the way home since AK closes early. We really enjoyed spending our evening at AKL last time. Storytelling, animals, campfire/smores and a delicious dinner at the CS place downstairs by the pool. We enjoyed the Lime-A-ritas there as well.