PDA

View Full Version : What are the carts like at Ikea?

amom526
09-15-2013, 05:29 PM
I have an Ikea semi-close by, but I haven't been there yet. I want to go soon, but I'm wondering about some logistics. Is it possible to shop with an infant and toddler? What is the cart situation there? My 10 month old still can't sit completely unassisted, so I'm wondering if there is a way I can make this work. I may be able to buckle him in, but not sure how comfortable he would be. My toddler likes to walk, but I know it's a big store. I don't have too many things on my list, but I'm not sure how big the boxes will be. TIA

BunnyBee
09-15-2013, 05:45 PM
They have half carts that hold bags, regular cart sized carts (that have crazy wheels that go in all directions), and flats for the boxes. In the one we usually go to, the regular carts are only downstairs. The half carts and bags are upstairs in the showroom area. You grab a cart once you go downstairs into the housewares area. The flats are right before you go to the warehouse/checkout area. I bring a stroller and another adult/big kid.

You can look up the items and see the box dimensions on their website.

megs4413
09-15-2013, 05:52 PM
if you can't bring another adult with you and do not want to put your toddler in their childcare area (SMALAND or whatever) I'd bring a stroller for the toddler and wear the baby.

joonbug
09-15-2013, 06:41 PM
It might be difficult by yourself and a baby and toddler. Our area SMALAND only accepts potty trained kids so not really good for a toddler.

amom526
09-15-2013, 08:13 PM
It might be difficult by yourself and a baby and toddler. Our area SMALAND only accepts potty trained kids so not really good for a toddler.

I was hoping I could go myself with the kids, but sounds like it's not really do-able. We'll get there on a Sunday eventually. So many things I want to buy!!

cuca_
09-15-2013, 08:15 PM
You could do it with a double stroller. I did it plenty of times with my older two. You can easily carry their bags on your shoulder and put any heavier things under the stroller. However, if you plan on buying furniture, bring someone along. I tried that once and it was a nightmare!

jgenie
09-15-2013, 08:28 PM
I always went with a double stroller. You're limited t what fits in the bag but I was still able to come home with lots of things. They have carts for the dining trays so we always stayed for lunch too! Good luck!

twowhat?
09-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Depends on what you're buying. If you're buying anything furniture-related, I'd definitely either have someone go with you or (even better) have someone watch the kids so you can shop alone. Going to IKEA for the first time is overwhelming. You won't get much done with a toddler in tow.

If you must bring them, I'd wear the baby on your back and put the toddler in the cart (since you say he does like to walk most of the time - the cart will hold more than a stroller) and have very low expectations for what you will be able to find and buy. The carts will fit only one child in the front, similar to a grocery cart. And warning - the 4-wheel swivel is AWFUL. Whoever came up with that idea was NOT an engineer. The carts are HELL to push around.

carolinacool
09-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Going to IKEA for the first time is overwhelming. You won't get much done with a toddler in tow.

If you must bring them, I'd wear the baby on your back and put the toddler in the cart (since you say he does like to walk most of the time - the cart will hold more than a stroller) and have very low expectations for what you will be able to find and buy.

I agree. DH and I have been three times and we've had to take DS all three times. Even with the two of us there, it's been awful. It's a huge store and a lot to get through if it's your first time and you're checking out the lay of the land. It's 90 minutes away from us, so it's sort of a destination and we try to make the most of it. I would wait until Sunday when your DH can go, but depending on how well your toddler handles being in stores, it still could be a headache. I'm still trying to figure out how we can go without bring DS. LOL