PDA

View Full Version : What could be causing DD's sudden dry skin?

happymom
09-15-2013, 05:53 PM
DD has always had sensitive skin as well as eczema on her hands, wrists, and behind her knees. She does not eat any dairy (this helped with the eczema at first, but now its basically back full force despite still being dairy-free) and I use all dye-free soaps and detergents.

In the last few weeks, DD's skin has become so so dry all over her body. Most noticeable is on her face- especially around her eyes and around her nose and mouth. She almost looks sickly- her face is pale and its reddish around her eyes where the dry skin is. Its also very dry around her collarbone. There are other dry areas (some parts of her back and a little on her tummy), but her face and collarbone are the worst. I have also noticed her scratching her head lately, although I don't see any dry skin there.

What could this be? The only thing I can think of is her shampoo actually. We used to use the Kirkland shampoo and conditioner, and I recently switched to Herbal Essence, possibly around the time the dry skin started? I know Herbal Essence is certainly not frangrance or dye free- do you think the shampoo running out of her hair and down her body (when rinsing) could be causing the dryness? It's strange that her face would be so dry though, because she absolutely does not get any shampoo on her face in the shower- she hates any water on her face and uses a visor.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!