PDA

View Full Version : Archery Classes Anyone?

mommy111
09-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Don't even ask.
DD told me she wanted to do these. Begged. Took my silence for disapproval (actually, it was just befuddled shock, one to be asked for archery classes and two by the little miss-princess I won't play soccer because its too violent and rough). So for any mamas with experience with this, where should I look, what do I look for and how pricey is it to get little miss Katniss what she wants?

brittone2
09-15-2013, 09:07 PM
DS1 wants to do archery through 4H. I requested paperwork through the county extension office, and he was eligible based on age. I called, and the facilitator said they had bumped up the age to 11 due to high demand. So he's waiting for now, but is still expressing an interest. FWIW, my DS1 is pretty non violent but has been excited about archery for quite some time.

SASM
09-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Omg...thank you for this post!! DD has been begging for years!!

DS1 wants to do archery through 4H. I requested paperwork through the county extension office, and he was eligible based on age. I called, and the facilitator said they had bumped up the age to 11 due to high demand. So he's waiting for now, but is still expressing an interest. FWIW, my DS1 is pretty non violent but has been excited about archery for quite some time.
Thank you!!! We belonged to 4H before we relocated. Need to check the local chapter!! THANK YOU!! DD wanted to do Girl Scouts bc she thought they learned archery...my friends w GS were amused. :) :)

lhafer
09-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Your GS don't learn archery? We have archery stuff all the time offered at our GS camps and what not. I'm excited for DD to be eligible to attend them!

Simon
09-15-2013, 09:57 PM
A few of the conservation clubs in our area offer youth archery. Two offer a session of instructional classes and one offers a league for kids. I've been told that Hunger Games has spawned a HUGE interest in archery. In some areas of the country, there are also junior olympic training courses held at schools and what not, but those are in limited geographic areas.

lhafer
09-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Found this while looking for independent Girl Scout activities

http://www.archeryinmotion.com/

oneplustwo
09-15-2013, 10:14 PM
OP, any chance your DD's been inspired by the Brave movie?

Check if there's any chance your local Park and Rec has any offerings; ours did a short while back. As PPs have said, check 4H clubs. And just google "archery lessons" plus your state and see what comes up. You may find some good archery centers that way. Barring that, there are a good number of summer camps that include an emphasis on archery.

mommy111
09-15-2013, 10:21 PM
OP, any chance your DD's been inspired by the Brave movie?

Check if there's any chance your local Park and Rec has any offerings; ours did a short while back. As PPs have said, check 4H clubs. And just google "archery lessons" plus your state and see what comes up. You may find some good archery centers that way. Barring that, there are a good number of summer camps that include an emphasis on archery.
Maybe? Although I doubt it. She sure as heck hasn't seen Hunger games. We did recently see a Chinese movie on ancient China (as a way to make her keep the Mandarin she learned through her 2 years there....I don't speak a word) and that involved an archer trying to assassinate a noble or something so maybe that brought things to her attention.
Thank you ladies and please keep the suggestions coming! I could only find a fencing club close to us, so if any of you know about any archery classes in Boston, please let me know!
Also, I had no idea what the heck 4H was, thank you for that, I just googled it!

ett
09-15-2013, 10:33 PM
My friend's kids take archery classes here.
http://www.archeryusa.com/media/index.php?show_cat=1

It's in Norwood.

It looks like their website is not up to date, so you'll probably have to call them to get more info.

cckwmh
09-15-2013, 10:35 PM
We live in the Boston area and DD learned archery through YMCA summer camp last year. She was bummed this summer when she went to GS camp and they would not let her do it because of age requirements. We did buy DD her own bow and I actually bought one, too, so that it is something we can do together. We are still looking for a club to join, so she does not get to use it as often as she would. Like.
If you look on www.teamusa.org and search archery there is a way to see all programs in Massachusetts.

KrisM
09-15-2013, 10:38 PM
My kids would like to learn, too. I have a bow and shot for years from about 10 years old. I'd love to find a place I could take them and teach them to shoot. I really enjoyed it a lot.

TwinFoxes
09-15-2013, 10:49 PM
No advice, but I think archery is pretty cool. Women's archery has an interesting history. I hope she finds a place to participate!

oneplustwo
09-15-2013, 11:08 PM
My friend's kids take archery classes here.
http://www.archeryusa.com/media/index.php?show_cat=1

It's in Norwood.
It looks like their website is not up to date, so you'll probably have to call them to get more info.

Yes, this! As soon as you said Boston, I thought of the same place.

There's also an archery place in Pembroke http://www.thearcherycenter.org/ and a center in Foxboro http://www.acearchers.com/ , and a place in Acton that offers youth lessons, but the Acton place is only for ages 9 and up http://www.tepeearchery.com/youth_programs.html

new_mommy25
09-15-2013, 11:11 PM
We had DS take archery through a local archery store that had an indoor range. It was $10 a class. It's where the kids participating in the Jr. Olympics train. There is also lessons learned through our local Parks & Rec. We are lucky to have a free range nearby so we take DS to shoot on the weekends. DS has a recurve and a compound bow. The recurve is better to learn aim on.

KpbS
09-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Not for right now but DS loved archery this summer at two different summer camps. It is very fun!

mommy111
09-16-2013, 12:10 AM
You ladies are awesome! At least 4 of these places are reasonably close to us!!
Archery! Who knew! (where is that shaking head smiley)

HannaAddict
09-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Archery is the next big thing. It is becoming wildly popular here and will be part of this year's PE program. I hope she does great. I knew a guy who was Olympic caliber and he got a full ride to ASU. It was the first time I'd met anyone who did it as a sport versus to hunt a deer. Probably 1990 or 1991.

trales
09-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Our Rec department now offers it as does our local racquet club. I have DD signed up for next session, and myself signed up for the adult session. It looks like a ton of fun. We can't wait.

billysmommy
09-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Yes, this! As soon as you said Boston, I thought of the same place.

There's also an archery place in Pembroke http://www.thearcherycenter.org/ and a center in Foxboro http://www.acearchers.com/ , and a place in Acton that offers youth lessons, but the Acton place is only for ages 9 and up http://www.tepeearchery.com/youth_programs.html

Ds1 takes lessons at Tepee in Acton. He loves it! They also offer week-long summer camps (9-1) that are very well-run and they learn all aspects - fledging arrows, stringing bows, making targets, etc. He has a recurve which is what is recommended to start with. He loves it!
We just set up a mini range in our backyard for him to practice since he's so busy this fall its been hard to schedule lessons.

Corie
09-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Your GS don't learn archery? We have archery stuff all the time offered at our GS camps and what not. I'm excited for DD to be eligible to attend them!

We have archery for our Girl Scouts too! :)

So excited!

Twoboos
09-16-2013, 08:42 AM
This must be a big thing, it's offered by our Parks and Rec department. DDs really wanted to take it over the summer but it didn't fit into our schedule.

Great info on all the locations in MA, thanks!

egoldber
09-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Our GS camps always include archery. The girls always love it. Older DD mentioned they will do it in PE this year also (this is middle school).

bcafe
09-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Our park and rec has offered it for years and there is always a waiting list. My kids really liked it but they said it was more fun learning from Grandpa!

liz
09-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Not sure if this helps, but check out Providence Groupon today. There is a deal for archery. It's in Fall River, not sure if that works though.

Sent from my Galaxy phone using Tapatalk

oneplustwo
09-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Ds1 takes lessons at Tepee in Acton. He loves it! They also offer week-long summer camps (9-1) that are very well-run and they learn all aspects - fledging arrows, stringing bows, making targets, etc. He has a recurve which is what is recommended to start with. He loves it!
We just set up a mini range in our backyard for him to practice since he's so busy this fall its been hard to schedule lessons.

That's good to know about the Acton place! I'd been looking at it before for my guys. Between the fencing, TKD and archery camps they want to do, I think I have budding ninjas on my hand? (Sorry to go so OT, PP.)

hellokitty
09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I haven't checked the other posts. However, also be sure to call your local hunting clubs. They often have youth gun, fishing and archery events. They may also be able to point you in the right direction for lessons/groups that are geared toward youth archery in your area.

123LuckyMom
09-16-2013, 12:47 PM
My little sister (who's 36 now!) was an Olympic level archer. Archery is a FANTASTIC sport! I would highly advise you to look for a JOAD (Junior Olympic Archery Development) program. If there's any chance she might get serious about it, learning to shoot with good technique from the beginning is important. She won't have anything to unlearn. Some camps and other programs have trained coaches, but most don't. If you go to a JOAD program, you know she'll be learning good form.

Also, in JOAD, they start moving up the ladder right away, graduating to new levels and making progress. It's really encouraging and inspiring. My sister was born with low muscle tone and had to go to physical therapy as a young child. Her doctor said, "She'll catch up, but she'll never be in the Olympics." We'll, she never did compete in the Olympics. She missed the team by one slot, but she did compete in the Worlds, so I think we can safely say she showed that doctor ;)!

Here's the link to the JOAD website:
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Archery/Programs/Junior-Olympic-Archery-Development

brittone2
09-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Great link, 123Luckymom. Thanks so much.

mommy111
09-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Love this, love this conversation, I've learnt so much today!