PDA

View Full Version : Everyone stay safe at the Navy Yard. (DC)

kep
09-16-2013, 09:59 AM
I know several of us work there. Check in when you can.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/dc-navy-yard-gunshots/index.html?c=mobile-homepage-t

Washington (CNN) - Several people were injured Monday after a person fired shots inside the Washington Navy Yard, the U.S. Navy said.

The injured included a Washington, D.C., police officer who has been hospitalized, said Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Saray Leon.

The incident occurred at 8:20 a.m. when several shots were fired inside the headquarters for Naval Sea Systems Command in southeast Washington, D.C. An "active shooter" remained inside the building, said the Navy and Leon, the police spokeswoman.

Emergency personnel, the FBI, U.S. Capitol Police and local D.C. police responded to the shooting, shutting down traffic in the area on the district's south side along the Anacostia River. Some people are being evacuated and others are sheltering in place.

Air traffic to Reagan National Airport in northern Virginia, the closest airport to downtown Washington, D.C., was suspended,the Federal Aviation Administration said. There was no immediate confirmation the halt in incoming flights was due to the shooting situation.

A White House statement said President Barack Obama has been briefed on the situation.

The headquarters -- the workplace for about 3,000 people -- is the largest of the Navy's five system commands. It has a fiscal year budget of nearly $30 billion.

"With a force of 60,000 civilian, military and contract support personnel, NAVSEA engineers, builds, buys and maintains the Navy's ships and submarines and their combat systems," the Navy said.

megs4413
09-16-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm praying for everyone in the area and all the wounded right now.

SASM
09-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Wow. Saying many many prayers. Thank you for thread...no notifications on my phone. :(

ETA: per AP mobile...one shooter is dead.

TwinFoxes
09-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Very scary. Very thankful that none of my military and civilian contractor friends were there. P&PT for everyone...so hard to figure out at this point what kind of incident this was. Random workplace violence, some sort of coordinated attack, something else? Local news is saying the gunman was shooting into a cafeteria from a mezzanine and seemed to be targeting people. So, so frightening.

oneplustwo
09-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Oh no. Some updates are saying "several dead" . . .

crl
09-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Prayers for a swift resolution and for all the victims and their families.

Catherine

TwinFoxes
09-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Holy crap, now they're saying there may be two more shooters. The police chief just gave descriptions of the suspects and their guns. I'm hoping they were good guys tying to contain the original shooter.

megs4413
09-16-2013, 12:27 PM
the first confirmed fatality. :(

kep
09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I am now hearing both 4 and 6 fatalities. I hate the back and forth news coverage while events are unfolding. Sounds like Washington has ground to a halt. Regan airport, helicopter evacs, bridges closed, etc. So close to home!!

TwinFoxes
09-16-2013, 12:44 PM
the first confirmed fatality. :(

Local news has been reporting 4 dead for a couple of hours now. :( The head of Washington Hospital center also said they were told that there were victims on scene who were deceased.

I know M-H (DCmom2be3) lives on Capitol Hill, does anyone know if her daughter's school is near Navy Yard?

mommylamb
09-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Headline on the Post now says 7 are dead.

kep
09-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Now multiple news agencies are saying they are hunting for 2 OTHER gunmen. OMG.

AnnieW625
09-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Local news has been reporting 4 dead for a couple of hours now. :( The head of Washington Hospital center also said they were told that there were victims on scene who were deceased.

I know M-H (DCmom2be3) lives on Capitol Hill, does anyone know if her daughter's school is near Navy Yard?

That is what I heard almost an hour ago from the press conference, plus one of the cops mentioned they were looking for the other two gunmen as well, one with a hand gun and the other with a longer gun. Both were thought to be dressed in military like uniforms. The cop who was shot was in stable condition at the hospital.

I think DCMom's DD's school is off the hill, but I am not 100% sure where it is. I am not from DC either so I don't know DC well at all as I have always used Metro when I have been in the area and the last time was over 10 yrs. ago.

sariana
09-16-2013, 01:58 PM
I am now hearing both 4 and 6 fatalities. I hate the back and forth news coverage while events are unfolding. Sounds like Washington has ground to a halt. Regan airport, helicopter evacs, bridges closed, etc. So close to home!!

I guess Dulles is not affected? My DH is en route there right now, and as far as I know, his flight took off about 30 minutes ago. He texted that they were about to close the door.

kep
09-16-2013, 02:00 PM
I guess Dulles is not affected? My DH is en route there right now, and as far as I know, his flight took off about 30 minutes ago. He texted that they were about to close the door.

I had only heard DCA.

egoldber
09-16-2013, 02:03 PM
FWIW, I work within 5 miles of the Navy Yard. Other than occasionally hearing helicopters flying overhead, things are totally normal here. My agency has not even sent out any sort of message to us about what is going on there.

Dulles is 25-30 miles away from the Navy Yard. It is only the immediate area around the Navy Yard (295/Anacostia Freeway, 11st Street Bridge, etc.) that is effected by this. I think that DCA/National was only shut down as a precaution. It is pretty much directly across the Potomac River from the Navy Yard.

Not that it isn't a terrible thing for the 3000+ people who do work there and for their families. :(

brittone2
09-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I have a contact in the DC police and he just texted to tell me he's hearing 12 dead now. I have not seen confirmation of that yet. He texted me this morning to tell me about the active shooter, as my DH has many contacts at the Naval Research Lab (which was not the same site).

carolinacool
09-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah, CNN is reporting that the mayor has just confirmed 12 so far. Awful.

kep
09-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Yes, DC police just confirmed the 12, and said that are now officially transferring the case to the FBI.

brittone2
09-16-2013, 02:12 PM
The person I'm in touch with also said they still have the two at large.

carolinacool
09-16-2013, 02:15 PM
The person I'm in touch with also said they still have the two at large.

I wonder if they are still somewhere in the building or has that been cleared. Earlier reports said they had someone pinned to certain floors.

TwinFoxes
09-16-2013, 02:25 PM
I wonder if they are still somewhere in the building or has that been cleared. Earlier reports said they had someone pinned to certain floors.

I think that person is dead. They think there are two more. It seems like often in these situations there are reports of more gunmen, which turn out to be false. But this time it seems pretty real, since there are descriptions of two gunmen, one white, one black. (Description given by Chief Lanier). I can't remember who on TV said there was security footage of a gunman in a parking lot. What a bizarre situation. They opened the metro stop near there pretty early on in the incident, before I had heard reports of the one gunman being "contained". Seems like an easy escape route (not saying anyone escaped, let alone on Metro, just an observation).

Snow mom
09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
I think that person is dead. They think there are two more. It seems like often in these situations there are reports of more gunmen, which turn out to be false. But this time it seems pretty real, since there are descriptions of two gunmen, one white, one black. (Description given by Chief Lanier). I can't remember who on TV said there was security footage of a gunman in a parking lot. What a bizarre situation. They opened the metro stop near there pretty early on in the incident, before I had heard reports of the one gunman being "contained". Seems like an easy escape route (not saying anyone escaped, let alone on Metro, just an observation).

Yes, there are often multiple descriptions of single gunmen. The last active shooter situation I was locked down for they took multiple hours to clear because conflicting descriptions led them to not know if they had the only shooter. Hope that this is the case here and that there won't be further bloodshed.

div_0305
09-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Very sad--last read that 12 are confirmed dead. I'm sure we'll hear soon if there really are more shooters on the loose once security camera footage is reviewed. I hope there is no more danger.

brittone2
09-16-2013, 03:41 PM
I was just told they are now saying it was a lone shooter, name is Aaron Alexis.

westwoodmom04
09-16-2013, 03:51 PM
I was just told they are now saying it was a lone shooter, name is Aaron Alexis.

What a tragedy, hopefully there are not more casualties than have not been reported yet. Early reports are that Mr. Alexis had a criminal record and a conceal carry permit.

petesgirl
09-16-2013, 04:29 PM
What a tragedy, hopefully there are not more casualties than have not been reported yet. Early reports are that Mr. Alexis had a criminal record and a conceal carry permit.

Just my opinion, but something is seriously wrong when a person with a criminal record can get a gun permit.

bisous
09-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Just my opinion, but something is seriously wrong when a person with a criminal record can get a gun permit.

Seriously! I confess I'm a little hesitant to buy all the early rumors as they proved to be rather imprecise during Newtown, though.

kep
09-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Deleted.