PDA

View Full Version : Dental x rays

petesgirl
09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Do you get dental x rays when you are pregnant? I remember I did last time but they said it was up to me and asked me to sign a waiver saying that I understood that x rays pose risks to unborn babies. But most online sources say dental x rays are fine. I have an appointment today and am just wondering what others do. :)

123LuckyMom
09-16-2013, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't. I have excellent teeth and have never had a cavity, so waiting 9 months until I'm not pregnant anymore would be no big deal to me. If I had a major medical condition that required an iffy test, I would consider it. I did have to have an MRI while pregnant due to a severe condition, but if I could have avoided it, I would have.

Snow mom
09-16-2013, 11:17 AM
I definitely skipped it. Dental X-rays aren't necessary yearly even unless you are having some sort of dental issue. Just keep brushing and flossing and go back when you aren't pregnant. (And its worth noting that its completely normal for gums to be more swollen and bleed easier during pregnancy).

megs4413
09-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I'd only do it if I had to. I've had numerous xrays while pregnant, though (not with DS but with both DDs) that were necessary and nothing ever happened to my knowledge. DD1 has no issues and I had a chest xray with her (maybe more than one, I don't remember for sure) and I had one of my foot with this one.

stinkyfeet
09-16-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm a dentist..well, I was one until I started being a SAHM. I will go back though!

I personally wouldn't do x-rays on a pregnant patient unless she were there with an emergency/pain visit.

I err on the side if conservative though.

petesgirl
09-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks, I'll skip them, I do have really healthy teeth too so I don't expect any cavities. I'm just looking forward to a kid free hour!!

klwa
09-16-2013, 12:52 PM
I did at just shy of the 4 week mark with DD1 because I didn't think that I could possibly be pregnant the first month of trying. I wouldn't do it if I knew I was pregnant though.

BabyBearsMom
09-16-2013, 01:25 PM
I did not while I was pregnant

AnnieW625
09-16-2013, 01:39 PM
I did not. I only have to get them once every 18 months because I have healthy strong teeth. With DD1 I actually didn't go to the dentist at all because I didn't like the dentist I had been going to so I didn't go back until she was 2 months old. With DD2 we scheduled them for after I was pregnant.

ett
09-16-2013, 03:20 PM
I did not.

AngB
09-16-2013, 07:45 PM
My dentist skips them.

That said, I did have a hand xray in the ER when I was 13 wks pregnant with DS2. They knew I was pregnant and double apron'ed me and only took pics of my hand. It was extremely swollen and infected from a dog bite and they wanted to be sure there was no bone damage since they were admitting me.

mom3boys
09-16-2013, 10:39 PM
I did with DS3 but only because I had to have a root canal and there was no way it could have waited until after my pregnancy. They did a double apron to cover my whole belly. I think I had to have X-rays done twice, once at my regular dentist and then again at the endodontist who actually performed the root canal. I was about 20 weeks I think, maybe a little further along.

They actually waited to place my permanent crown (I had a temporary for months) until after DS3 was born so that they could spare me from having additional X rays. For just a regular dental check up I would skip them, given the fuss the dentists made about it when I had to have it done.

EstherLy
09-17-2013, 02:53 AM
For over half a century it has been known to science that low dose medical x-rays, particularly administered during pregnancy, causes leukemia. Subsequent research has shown they also increase the risk of other childhood cancers. And, ANY dose of ionizing radiation (which would include dental x-rays) increases the risk of cancer. In fact, medical x-ray exposure, starting during pregnancy into adulthood, is probably the major cause of cancer, particularly breast cancer (read the e-book "The Mammogram Myth: The Independent Investigation Of Mammography The Medical Profession Doesn't Want You To Know About" by Rolf Hefti). Unfortunately, profound politics and massive profits for the medical-dental-military industry have been obscuring the real toxicity of low dose x-rays from the public at large.

AshleyAnn
09-18-2013, 10:53 PM
I had a chest xray while pregnant to check for pneumonia. They double covered my belly with 2 lead vests.

I also had a dental issue while pregnant and my dentist offered me a vest to wear the entire visit "for my own comfort" but it made me feel sick.

petesgirl
09-19-2013, 12:05 AM
For over half a century it has been known to science that low dose medical x-rays, particularly administered during pregnancy, causes leukemia. Subsequent research has shown they also increase the risk of other childhood cancers. And, ANY dose of ionizing radiation (which would include dental x-rays) increases the risk of cancer. In fact, medical x-ray exposure, starting during pregnancy into adulthood, is probably the major cause of cancer, particularly breast cancer (read the e-book "The Mammogram Myth: The Independent Investigation Of Mammography The Medical Profession Doesn't Want You To Know About" by Rolf Hefti). Unfortunately, profound politics and massive profits for the medical-dental-military industry have been obscuring the real toxicity of low dose x-rays from the public at large.

I'm in big trouble then because I have quite a few x rays for broken bones and spine injuries. Also, do you/will you be choosing not to get mammograms then? (just out of curiosity.. Feel free to tell me it's none of my business).