PDA

View Full Version : LA trip and Car rentals

mommylamb
09-16-2013, 12:19 PM
DH and I are doing a long weekend away in Los Angeles in November as a 13 year anniversary trip. It will be our first time away together for more than 1 night without kids since before DS1 was born. Usually, we travel by car when we do family vacations, or otherwise go to places with good public transport. Clearly, we need to rent a car for this LA trip. Should I just do Costco's car rental service? Better to use something else? Any reason why I shouldn't do Enterprise (they seem to be the cheapest by far)? We would be picking up and dropping off at LAX.

And while I'm at it, I'm open to suggestions for "must do" things. DH has already booked the Paramount Studios tour. Neither of us has really ever been to LA before (I was there for a 23 hour layover when I was 21 on my way home from studying abroad in Australia when I was in college, and that hardly counts. I left the airport to sleep at a hostel in Venice Beach, and then went directly back to the airport.). We've already booked our accommodations and flight.

gymnbomb
09-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Check Hotwire to see how it compares to the price you're getting with Enterprise. Sometimes they're better, sometimes not much difference. You won't find out the company until after you pay (and it's nonrefundable, so be sure about it!) but they only use the major companies like Enterprise, Hertz, Alamo, etc. Also check with your current auto insurance and credit card to see what kind of rental car coverage you have. Most likely you have some coverage already and will not need the expensive coverage they try to sell you at the rental counter.

AnnieW625
09-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Enterprise is great. I usually book them Costco, but sometimes their website has great weekend deals like a full size car for $20/day. You can always cancel through Costco if you find something better. Hotwire's prices haven't been all that different than Costco's and they require full payment at booking time. I would rather have it billed after I have returned the car.

codex57
09-16-2013, 03:02 PM
You mean the Universal Studios tour or Paramount Studios tour?

I haven't eaten at Pink's Hot Dog even when I lived in LA/Santa Monica, but that's supposed to be famous. If you go to Universal, the Universal Hilton next door has the most amazing buffet. Beats the Vegas ones, altho I have to admit the updated Vegas ones are really impressive now (like Caesars and that new one in the Aria complex).

Looking at the Stars in the ground is kinda neat, as is the hand and foot prints at Graumm's Chinese Theater. Rodeo Drive is only good for people watching IMO, but if you live in DC, just swing by American University and you'd see the same amount of bling. I think the beaches in LA County suck. The further south you go (OC or even San Diego County), the better they are IMO.

justlearning
09-16-2013, 03:08 PM
You could check priceline.com. I recently purchased a last-minute flight/car package and have now been getting emails from them. There was one a few days ago (that I didn't really read so I don't know the fine print) about $7.99/day rental cars.

mommylamb
09-16-2013, 04:12 PM
You mean the Universal Studios tour or Paramount Studios tour?

I haven't eaten at Pink's Hot Dog even when I lived in LA/Santa Monica, but that's supposed to be famous. If you go to Universal, the Universal Hilton next door has the most amazing buffet. Beats the Vegas ones, altho I have to admit the updated Vegas ones are really impressive now (like Caesars and that new one in the Aria complex).

Looking at the Stars in the ground is kinda neat, as is the hand and foot prints at Graumm's Chinese Theater. Rodeo Drive is only good for people watching IMO, but if you live in DC, just swing by American University and you'd see the same amount of bling. I think the beaches in LA County suck. The further south you go (OC or even San Diego County), the better they are IMO.

We're doing Paramount. I told DH it was up to him which one he chose, and he decided on Paramount.

larig
09-16-2013, 04:26 PM
I just booked a rental car for DH. I looked at orbitz, costco & kayak. Kayak found me a killer $12 a day rate, through hotwire, but it was half the price of the others.

SoCalMommy
09-16-2013, 05:15 PM
It depends on what you want to do, but there are tons of things to see/explore. If you are into art or gardens, The Getty is a must. It has beautiful views of the city (I tend to enjoy the grounds even more than the museum). It's free, so you only have to pay to park. You can always take a scenic drive along PCH up to Malibu. It is beautiful and you can stop along the way to eat, shop or just take in the view. If you want to be more active you can go down to Santa Monica and rent bikes or rollerblades and cruise the beach areas. There is a path along the sand that goes for miles and even some places to stop to eat on the beach. Or you could just explore the Santa Monica Pier and less than a block away is the pedestrian friendly 3rd Street Promenade with street performers, music and great restaurants and shopping. A busy, touristy area is around Hollywood and Highland (in Hollywood). It is next to Graumans Chinese Theater mentioned above and the Kodak Theater, home of the academy Awards , but there is also shops, places to eat and people watch and Madam Tausads Wax Museum. If you are into hikes, there are a ton -just ask your concierge. You can also visit the Griffith Observatory. Another fun place to take in the views (they film lots of movies up there) and they have things to do both day and night. The downtown area is great as well. There is the Grammy Museum, Staples Center if you want to catch some professional ice hockey or basketball games and plenty of shopping and eating. These are just a few ideas. I am happy to suggest other things depending on your interests. :)

mom2binsd
09-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I highly highly recommend the Universal Tour...it is soooo good, I've been twice and compared to Paramount you get to get up close and see much more.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/attractions/studio-tour/

I highly suggest a little trip up the PCH and for a fun lunch stop, Neptunes Net (it's a bit a of a dive but fun) or some cute beachside place in Malibu for lunch/dinner.