PDA

View Full Version : Another birthday party thread...sorry!

BabyBearsMom
09-16-2013, 01:31 PM
DD1 and DD2 attend the same preschool but are in different classrooms. DD1 was invited to a birthday party for a boy in her class. When I called to RSVP, the mother said "Oh, and I meant to write it on the invitation and forgot, but DD2 is invited as well." So, in the event that both of your children are going to a birthday party, do you buy 1 gift from each of your children or do you buy 1 gift from the family? If you buy one gift from the family, do you make it a nicer (more $$) gift since it is from both kids? I usually buy a $10 to $15 gift for the child, so should I but a $20 to $30 gift instead?

FTR: The boy did come to DD1's and DD2's party (it was a joint party as their birthdays are 2 weeks apart). We had a no gift party so no gift given to compare to and make sure we are being equal. I have chatted with the mom a few times, and we have done a group playdate with them once, but I wouldn't call us good friends. The party is at kids gym. Not sure if any of this matters in anyone's decision making, but just getting the details out there.

SnuggleBuggles
09-16-2013, 01:35 PM
I usually buy one but spend more.

BDKmom
09-16-2013, 01:44 PM
I buy one gift. My typical range is $15-20. I didn't up that when DD was added to the mix vs. when we just had DS. We haven't had any experience with only one of the kids being invited to the party. All of the parties we have gone to so far have been neighbors or family friends, so both kids have been invited. I will be interested to see if others spend more or keep the amount about the same.

In your situation where it is someone you don't know as well, maybe I would up the amount spent a little, more like $20-25 (ETA: I meant $20-25 based on my price range. $15-20 based on yours.), but I don't think I would double the amount spent. Not sure what my reasoning is, but I don't think it's necessary. At least I wouldn't want people to spend double on one of my kids because they had two kids coming to our party.

AnnieW625
09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
I would buy one gift and spend a bit more, but I wouldn't go over the top. For preschool I might usually spend $10, but I would probably bump it up another $5 or so.

klwa
09-16-2013, 02:59 PM
One gift. Since you normally are in the $10-15 range, I'd say in the $15-20 range.

twowhat?
09-16-2013, 03:00 PM
I would buy one gift and spend a little more but don't go crazy, as PPs have said.

MamaMolly
09-16-2013, 08:22 PM
If there is one birthday child I do one gift. Twins each get their own. etc.

ZeeBaby
09-16-2013, 08:55 PM
One gift is ok. We usually do 2x the amount.

MMMommy
09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
I would buy one gift and spend more.

happyturtles
09-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I buy a nicer gift. In my area (Los Angeles), the cost of extra kids over the party limit is $10-15. My second child is an extra kid. So when both of my DDs attend a party, I will spend more on the gift. (Even if my kid doesn't push them over the limit)

KrisM
09-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I usually buy 2 gifts because my kids like giving gifts that are from them. So, I'd do a $15 gift from DS1 and another from DS2 or maybe something smaller from DS2, depending.

baymom
09-16-2013, 10:17 PM
I'd probably do one gift and spend more on it. But, on occasions where we know the family well, I've spent my normal amount on the gift and brought along an extra gift for younger 'birthday sibling.' I know some people have strong feelings about this, but I love making any younger siblings feel special on that day, too.

wellyes
09-16-2013, 10:22 PM
If the boy was friends with both, I'd do two. If the sister is invited as a tagalong, that's not necessary. But I might still do two anyway. Kids love unwrapping!

California
09-16-2013, 10:39 PM
My usual: Offer to pay for invited sibling. Buy a few things in the same theme, put in gift bag, each kid makes their own card to the birthday child and we add the cards to the bag. My kids like to draw so this works well for us.

TwinFoxes
09-16-2013, 10:58 PM
We do two gifts. And everyone gives us two gifts. I think it's different with twins. It's more important to let people know they really aren't the same person!

BabyBearsMom
09-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone. DD1 had already picked out a gift for the boy, and I ordered it (she came home with the invite and told me EXACTLY what she wanted to get him) so I might just buy a couple of small books or a movie to go with the gift.

My usual: Offer to pay for invited sibling. Buy a few things in the same theme, put in gift bag, each kid makes their own card to the birthday child and we add the cards to the bag. My kids like to draw so this works well for us.
DD1's party was at the same place and I know that there is no extra cost for the additional child. DD2 is only 1.5 so a little young to make cards, but thank you for the suggestion.

I'd probably do one gift and spend more on it. But, on occasions where we know the family well, I've spent my normal amount on the gift and brought along an extra gift for younger 'birthday sibling.' I know some people have strong feelings about this, but I love making any younger siblings feel special on that day, too.

The birthday boy is an only chid.