PDA

View Full Version : Flu shot questions

flashy09
09-16-2013, 01:43 PM
When should my DD and myself (pregnant) get our flu shots? My DD is scheduled for Oct 26th, but I wonder if that is too late?
I can get mine anytime, but unsure whether to hunt down the four strain version or just get the normal three strain one. Thank you!

BabbyO
09-16-2013, 02:01 PM
We try to do it as soon as they are available. One year the whole family had them early in Sept, but there have been other years where it is closer to November. I aim for as early as possible, but it depends on availability. I was told as Peanut's check up last week they aren't available in our area yet.

kdeunc
09-16-2013, 02:41 PM
My parents' doctor already has numerous confirmed cases of flu. DD has pneumonia right now but we will get ours as soon as everyone here is well.

kaharris83
09-16-2013, 02:45 PM
The protection wanes over time. I try to aim for November. In our area the big outbreak last year started in December for us and went on until about May. I was glad we waited to get ours. This year we're headed to Disney in November so I plan to get them in mid-October.

lizzywednesday
09-16-2013, 02:46 PM
DD has already had hers; the pediatric practice where she's a patient got their initial supply of flu shots earlier this month and I wanted to get the appointment out of the way ASAP.

But, as to your question, I don't think October is too late, but if you can get an earlier one, I'd go for it.

lizzywednesday
09-16-2013, 02:49 PM
The protection wanes over time. I try to aim for November. In our area the big outbreak started in December for us and went on until about May. I was glad we waited to get ours. This year we're headed to Disney in November so I plan to get them in mid-October.

I have never heard that the flu immunity wanes over the season and the CDC FAQ says it does not:

Should I wait to get vaccinated so that my immunity lasts through the end of the season?

No. CDC recommends that influenza vaccination begin as soon as flu vaccine becomes available and continues throughout the flu season. The flu season is unpredictable, and since it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body that protect against influenza virus infection, it is best that people get vaccinated early so they are protected before influenza begins spreading in their community. While immunity can vary by person, previously published studies suggest that immunity lasts through a full flu season. Although adults 65 and older typically have a reduced immune response to flu vaccination compared with young healthy adults, their immune protection still extends through one flu season. In addition, a review of published studies concluded that no clear evidence exists that immunity declines more rapidly in the elderly. Note: The high-dose vaccine for people aged 65 and older is intended to create a stronger immune response in this age group.

(from http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm)

kaharris83
09-16-2013, 02:52 PM
I have never heard that the flu immunity wanes over the season and the CDC FAQ says it does not:

(from http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm)

Hmm...I thought I read several articles last year saying it does and our pediatrician confirmed as well that it does wane over time and she's normally very up to date on her research. When I asked her about reading that it didn't wane on the CDC site last year she said they say that so people will get vaccinated ASAP and not put it off, and then never come back for it later.

But a quick Google now seems to indicate response to the vaccine antibody wanes but there have been no studies done to see if that has an impact on immunity to the flu.

Either way OP we usually get vaxed in November and have never had the flu in our household, so Oct 26 isn't too late if you decide not to go sooner.

hillview
09-16-2013, 03:10 PM
DD has already had hers; the pediatric practice where she's a patient got their initial supply of flu shots earlier this month and I wanted to get the appointment out of the way ASAP.

But, as to your question, I don't think October is too late, but if you can get an earlier one, I'd go for it.

this is us too. DSs have already had theirs, I will be getting mine asap

Philly Mom
09-16-2013, 03:14 PM
I am getting mine at my next OB appointment and am going to call DD's ped later to see when I can bring her in for her shot. I need to get DH to just go to the supermarket and get his in the next week.